Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Last time I looked into it, you can't just replace the bearing. You have to buy the whole propshaft assembly. There is no way to disassemble it to just replace the bearing that I know of.

Let you know if you find anyone who just sells the bearing and the instructions.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Blimey, do these bearings wear out then.......

·
Registered
400 Posts
The problem I've read is that the rubber bushing that surrounds the bearing deteriorates and you get very bad vibrations. Seems to be a big issue with some Porsche's and the VW Tiguan. There are some aftermarket kits that allow you to cut out the rubber and replace it with something else.

I haven't heard much about the bearing going bad. I've had my A5 quattro since 2012 and can't recall the last time someone complained of a bad propeller bearing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I sometimes wish I can read russian because I've noticed the russians/eastern europeans do a lot more repair videos on VAG cars. In the western countries, it's cheaper (due to labor) to just replace the whole component.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem I've read is that the rubber bushing that surrounds the bearing deteriorates and you get very bad vibrations. Seems to be a big issue with some Porsche's and the VW Tiguan. There are some aftermarket kits that allow you to cut out the rubber and replace it with something else.

I haven't heard much about the bearing going bad. I've had my A5 quattro since 2012 and can't recall the last time someone complained of a bad propeller bearing.
He

Hey, thanks for the reply. I actually dont have any vibrations atm my problem is I hear a low/high pitch sound coming somewhere from the back of the car at around 50/60 km/h or sometimes even at 5-10 km/h. In the last 3 years since I own the car i've changed both front wheel bearings and one rear bearing (right side) this year cause the mechanic thought it was that what was causing the noise. I also changed the front and rear diff oil with added additiv that was required for the rear. For some reason I cant locate the transfere case (center diff) drain plug to do the oil change + additiv on that as well so i'l have to and try locate that again this week. Either way I was thinking of changing that propchaft bearing but since theres no vibrations or any similar symptoms don't think is worth replacing the original one with some after market bearing. Kinda going insane cause it bothers me when I drive and hear noises uh.. Haha

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a similar whinning sound from 50 - 53 mph. Based on my research, I'm guessing my problem is that the gears are worn on the rear differential. Don't want to spend $2K to replace the rear differential.

I haven't changed the bearings, but I did change all differential/transfer case fluids. I'll replace the torsen center transfer case fluid one more time, and then I'll just give up if that doesn't fix it.

These German cars just aren't built to last like they were in the 80s. The same thing is happening to Japanese cars too... even Toyota.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts