Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im new here and have a couple of questions that i thought you guys can help me out with. first of all i have never owned a manual tranny but have always wanted to learn so would you guys reccomedn me learning on the s5? take a couple of lessons? buy a beater for a few months to learn on? the other thing is that i called up a few dealers in my area and one of them said that there are some issues with the tips? can anybody confirm this?

thanx for your help guys i appreciate it

·
Registered
151 Posts
You did NOT write what you just wrote, the day Im supposed to get my car.

Has anyone else heard anything else about "issues" with tips?

Right now, my day is about ruined and Im really hoping someone can tell me this is an inaccurate rumor.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry that's just what I was told. Maybe he just told me that to order a manual for some reason.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Relax

I know of no problems with the tips and I comb all the S5 forums. It's a tried and true design, so I wouldn't worry.
As far as learning to drive manual on an S5, I think it's a big mistake. I recently taught my daughter to drive a stick (I tried on my G35 coupe first then switched to a Subaru) and even though she is a great driver, it was a little scary at first. Learn to drive a stick in a Civic, your S5 clutch will thank you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hey guys im new here and have a couple of questions that i thought you guys can help me out with. first of all i have never owned a manual tranny but have always wanted to learn so would you guys reccomedn me learning on the s5? take a couple of lessons? buy a beater for a few months to learn on? the other thing is that i called up a few dealers in my area and one of them said that there are some issues with the tips? can anybody confirm this?

thanx for your help guys i appreciate it
First do NOT learn how to drive manual with the S5, it will be an expensive proposition. If you want to learn then buy a very cheap POS and burn out clutches on that.
I have an S5 Tip. and there are no problems, the Tip. in this car is not new, it's a tried and true transmission. If a salesperson is saying there's Tip. problems it's because he can't get one and using that as an excuse.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I know of no problems with the tips and I comb all the S5 forums. It's a tried and true design, so I wouldn't worry.
As far as learning to drive manual on an S5, I think it's a big mistake. I recently taught my daughter to drive a stick (I tried on my G35 coupe first then switched to a Subaru) and even though she is a great driver, it was a little scary at first. Learn to drive a stick in a Civic, your S5 clutch will thank you.
TX can say more than me, he has a Tip...mine is a manual. But his episode is the only one related to a tip that I know of, and it really had nothing to do with it being a Tip. He (correct me if I wrong TX) had a leaky gasket...maybe gushing is a better term...but it was a defective gasket AFAIK. Otherwise, the Tip transmission has been solid from all of the (literally hundreds of posts on various forums) I have read.

So I am not sure I have heard of any issues specifically with the Tip.

C.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
TX can say more than me, he has a Tip...mine is a manual. But his episode is the only one related to a tip that I know of, and it really had nothing to do with it being a Tip. He (correct me if I wrong TX) had a leaky gasket...maybe gushing is a better term...but it was a defective gasket AFAIK.
That's correct. Even though I have a Tiptronic, my issue was limited only to a faulty transmission fluid pan drain plug gasket. (Details here.)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx for clearing that up guys... boy am i relieved lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with deak, the tip/4.2 FSI is well tested. It is true (although Audi will deny it) that there were problems mounting it on the new B4 platform, but they are a match made in heaven.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts