Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my A5 doesn't have sat-nav (too many £££'s) I've been looking to see if there are any better ways of mounting my TomTom other than sticking to the wind screen.

I've come across a product called Pro Clip (thanks Jez!) and they look really good as a concept that each clpi has two halves - one specific to the car and one to the device.

Has anyone used these clips (preferably on the A5 but on anything will do) and do they work in practice as well as they look like they will in the brochure.

Thanks

Rambo

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Placed an order today - will post some pics when it arrives.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Rambo - appreciated - will look out for your post.

My SatNav is the TomTom Go 720 T and I would go for the Proclip version that is wired for power and I would also get it wired into the speaker system.

P.S. my A5 now exists and is on a ship somewhere!

Cheers for now

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installed the unit last night. Spot on in my opinion althought the missus thinks its "ugly". Will post some pictures when I get a spare minute.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Rambo - bet she didn't think it was £1950 ugly though.

This sort of tech really ought to be like iPods i.e. it ought to be possible to stick a little GPS receiver on your dash and a sat nav device (or PDA) in the glovebox which then hooks into the audio/video display (the GPS needs line of sight to the sky hence 2 units)

I use a tiny TomTom GPS in combination with my O2 XDA and it works a treat. What's more it's properly portable. I've used it for finding my way around major cities on foot and whilst holidaying in Florida (it's criminal how much Dollar etc want for 2 weeks satnav rental - they must make the purchase cost of the unit on every rental).

It would be great if I could just hook the PDA into the MMI display in the A5. This would solve the "ugly" mounting problem and avoid tie in to legacy Audi technology. It really scares me when I see idiots with satnav units mounted directly in front of them on the windscreen - how do they focus on the road ahead of them?

Some will still argue that an integrated satnav solution benefits from integrated controls and they have a point. However, I always set my journey before setting off and it's much easier using the touchscreen on my PDA than fiddling with MMI controls. Additionally, I'm not sure how legal (or responsible) it is to be fiddling with the MMI whilst you drive; I suspect one would be driving without due care and attention.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm the same and really like the portability of the units - £200 and its mine for every car I have until it dies - I can also lend it to anyone who may need it and get speed camera alerts amongst other things.

I've also now taken some photo's which are now firmly on my Blackberry - if only I could work out how to get them onto my computer.....

Embarrassing really if you check my profile and see what I do for a living :confused:

Watch this space.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
rambo looks pretty good, in my opinion too.

Embarrassing really if you check my profile and see what I do for a living
heh, your an IT Manager, just get your Tech support guy to sort it out :)

Just a few questions.

How much did it cost to fit?
does it detach and reattach?
Is it even providing power to the device?
Does it wobble around on B roads?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heh, your an IT Manager, just get your Tech support guy to sort it out :)
Nearly reached that stage!!

Didn't cost anything to fit. Clip pushes between the dash and clips into place - very neat. Some sticky pads stop it sliding down - hence can't detach and I don't think the clip would come out too easily.

I got the version with power and it comes with some wire and a little fuse box of some kind. Managed to push the wire direcltly below the dash along into the footwell and then hid it under the piece of plastic cover next to the seat. It reappears next to the passenger seat and i've rammed it into the power unit under the armrest with another charged for the aforementioned Blackberry. If you look at the pictures without the unit on you can just see the wire disappear next to the radio - sort of just forced it in there!

It is recommended that you get someone to fit but hey, I'm in IT and its only wires (watch for my next post about how quickly the Audi interior melts when on fire). Seriously though, its pretty easy.

Not been on a B road yet but it seems solid - far more solid than the rubber sucker affair.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They have a UK distributer in DSL Developments. Far cheaper than ordering direct from ProClip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts