Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In January, I placed an order on a S5 with a dealer in California. I've received the card from Audi USA that confirms my order. Good news is I wasn't forced to put down a deposit. Bad news is that we didn't agree on a price up front. The dealer said previous cars were selling at $5-$10k over MSRP. I said I would wait and see, assuming that when the market cooled off, I'd get the car for MSRP or less. We agreed to negotiate the price upon delivery. I've been told the car will be put into production and I should expect delivery by Sept.

I'm looking for advice on negotiating a fair price (nothing over MSRP). I've looked at the Order Tracking Spreadsheet on this site as well as other threads and have noticed that almost everyone paid MSRP or less. However, I recently called other local dealers and found that they're all quoting prices $3-$7k over MSRP. My tendency is to go into the dealer prior to the delivery date and insist on a deal at MSRP. However, my concern is that the dealer will let me walk, assuming that someone else will be willing to pay a premium, and I won't have my car.

Advice?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got it in writing on the order form that I would not be charged over MSRP. My dad is in the car business, (and has been for over 20 years) and he absolutly refused to let me pay anyone anything over MSRP for the car. I actually ended up getting screwed out of the first A5 I ordered from the only local Audi dealer in my area. When I ordered the car I was told I was the first in my area to order an A5 and the dealer was supposed to keep me updated on the production of the car. Several months went by and I had not herd from the dealer so I called to check the status of the car only to find out that the dealer forgot to tell me he "messed" up my order and I would not be recieving my car untill the 2009 alotment. We did a little digging and my dad pulled some strings and found out that the dealership sold my car to someone who was willing to pay over MSRP. To make a long story short I called every Audi dealer I could find that was relativly close to me and begged to get my car ordered and be able to recieve it in May like was originally planned. I was able to get one out of Bloomington Indiana, and they agreed to charge MSRP and put it in writing on the order form. I live about 300 miles from Bloomington but they have offered to deliver the car in an enclosed trailer to my driveway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its a free market, mate. If you want the car with a dealer committment then you got to agree to a number with him. Supply and demand. Unfortunately for us at the moment, the equation is tilting against us buyers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
todd speaks the truth - dealers can do what they want to do unless you have something legally binding.. stick to your guns and be prepared to lose the car if it comes to that, is my advice..

i mean, if you've got the extra scratch and just have to have it, then go nuts, but personally i can't afford to have that kind of pride..

(i also fold a lot at poker :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you pay more than MSRP for an entry level luxury coupe you need serious help. Too many better cars available at just a few thousand more.

·
Registered
163 Posts
In January, I placed an order on a S5 with a dealer in California. I've received the card from Audi USA that confirms my order. Good news is I wasn't forced to put down a deposit. Bad news is that we didn't agree on a price up front. The dealer said previous cars were selling at $5-$10k over MSRP. I said I would wait and see, assuming that when the market cooled off, I'd get the car for MSRP or less. We agreed to negotiate the price upon delivery. I've been told the car will be put into production and I should expect delivery by Sept.

I'm looking for advice on negotiating a fair price (nothing over MSRP). I've looked at the Order Tracking Spreadsheet on this site as well as other threads and have noticed that almost everyone paid MSRP or less. However, I recently called other local dealers and found that they're all quoting prices $3-$7k over MSRP. My tendency is to go into the dealer prior to the delivery date and insist on a deal at MSRP. However, my concern is that the dealer will let me walk, assuming that someone else will be willing to pay a premium, and I won't have my car.

Advice?

this is exactly what Happened to me when I ordered my S5 back in Aug of last year. When the car arrived all washed and prepped and sitting right in front of me, the dealer said that it will be a little more money over MSRP. They hit me with the "fair market Value" crap. So I walked. I now have a great 535xi that MSRPed for 63k and have a lease payment lower than the S5.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you pay more than MSRP for an entry level luxury coupe you need serious help. Too many better cars available at just a few thousand more.
Although I am not a fan of paying more than the MSRP either, reality is reality right now. I am curious as to which cars are better for a few thousand more though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts