Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello members,

I am working with a broker here in Canada to have a S5 shipped out here to Canada..from the US....the price of a S5 is 65900 here...and from my understanding a S5 starts at 50500 in the US...i found 3 in the US and they are all in the 60's what gives?Arent they selling for 50500 at dealerships?or in the 50's?

Please someone help me ...am i looking in all the wrong places?

·
Registered
536 Posts
50,500 is base price, and most cars come in pretty much loaded, which brings the car to around 58k with dest charge and gas guzzler tax. The dealers that are asking 60k or more are asking over MSRP, which they probobly wont get, since I just got 1500 under MSRP on the S5 I ordered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone tell me where i should be looking to find S5 in the 50's?

Are their cars just sitting at dealerships waiting for customers?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you searched on autotrader, very likely includes the taxes for the state where the dealership is... if you searched on Yahoo or ebay, very likely they're just trying to make a some $$ on hot car.

For no reason you should pay over MSRP.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hear are the numbers

I looked at buying a car in the US but came to the conclusion that to get the car I wanted would only save me about 5K, would leave me with a mph speedo and possible hassles regarding service and warranty work. US price is 50500 but fully loaded it's 56940. Most guys in the US pay MSRP-about $1000 so that's 55940. Add freight and PDI and 1200 gas guzzler you get around 58500. Most US dealers will not sell a new car directly to a Canadian so you probably have to buy a demo or at least a car that has been driven around the block a few times to prevent Audi USA from penalizing the dealer. If you get the car you may have to pay state tax (6-8%) then you have to pay duty of 6%. If you can avoid state tax you then have 62100. You then have to do all the RIV stuff including DTRL and recall letter $500-1000. Now you are at 63000. I can get a car in Canada for under 5K more. Is it worth all the hassle?

Plus, right now Canadian cars are getting preference for build slots because they make Audi more money.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I looked at buying a car in the US but came to the conclusion that to get the car I wanted would only save me about 5K, would leave me with a mph speedo and possible hassles regarding service and warranty work. US price is 50500 but fully loaded it's 56940. Most guys in the US pay MSRP-about $1000 so that's 55940. Add freight and PDI and 1200 gas guzzler you get around 58500. Most US dealers will not sell a new car directly to a Canadian so you probably have to buy a demo or at least a car that has been driven around the block a few times to prevent Audi USA from penalizing the dealer. If you get the car you may have to pay state tax (6-8%) then you have to pay duty of 6%. If you can avoid state tax you then have 62100. You then have to do all the RIV stuff including DTRL and recall letter $500-1000. Now you are at 63000. I can get a car in Canada for under 5K more. Is it worth all the hassle?

Plus, right now Canadian cars are getting preference for build slots because they make Audi more money.
would US and Canadian members please tell me if you have these right? i am trying to do a comprehensive analysis of the price differential just based on the on the road cost of the car... thanks in advance,

US MSRP and taxes:
S5 base: 50500
tiptronic with paddle shifters: 1300
metallic/pearl effect (not phantom black nor sprint blue): 475
B&O Audio: 850
Nav and CD changer: 2390
Tech package: 1700
Freight (aka Destination; no PDI): 775 (Thanks TXcarguy)
Gas Guzzler tax: 1300
Other fees: ??? (please advise if any)

Canadian MSRP and taxes:
S5 base: 65900
tiptronic with paddle shifters: 1400 - Audi Markham; 1500 - Queensway Audi
metallic/pearl effect (not phantom black nor sprint blue): 800
B&O Audio: included
Nav and CD changer and rear parking camera: 3500 - Audi Markham; 3550 - Queensway Audi
Tech package: included (exclude rear parking camera)
Freight & PDI: 1649 - Queensway; 1799 Markham
Ontario fuel conversation tax: 250 (Audi Markham told me that it's 1200)
A/C tax: 100
Admin fees: 150 - Queensway; 249 Markham
i'll put these into a excel sheet and post it here....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
would US and Canadian members please tell me if you have these right?
Everything for the U.S. prices looks correct.

What you refer to as "Freight & PDI" is called "Destination Charge" in the States. The amount is $775.

Taxes:
Some states have sales tax (% varies by state). For Texas, it's 6.25%.
In Texas, we also have a "Vehicle Inventory Tax" added which is 0.2586%.

Other fees:
Title & license (amount varies by state & county) - about $200 here

·
Registered
483 Posts
Everything for the U.S. prices looks correct.

What you refer to as "Frieght & PDI" is called "Destination Charge" in the States. The amount is $775.

Taxes:
Some states have sales tax (% varies by state). For Texas, it's 6.25%.
In Texas, we also have a "Vehicle Inventory Tax" added which is 0.2586%.

Other fees:
Title & license (amount varies by state & county) - about $200 here
thanks :) so you guys don't have to pay something called the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) charge??

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just imported my S5 in Canada. I must be one of the only S5 in Canada. I ended up saving close to $12K in total including all fees. It is difficult to buy an S5 in the US. You need to find a dealer that wants to. Best is to use a broker. One that I know of is buyusacars.com. The breakdown is as follow:

US car: total price of standard without premium sound but everything else (gas tax, destination charge, tech package, carbon inlays,...) is $58K and after all taxes, duties, RIV, gaz tax, broker fees, transport,... about $74.5K all taxes included.

Cdn Car: Same car with base price of $66k, PDI $2,300, and same options (certain leather is optional in Canada) is about $86.5K all taxes included.

Difference: $12K!!!

It is worthed

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just imported my S5 in Canada. I must be one of the only S5 in Canada. I ended up saving close to $12K in total including all fees. It is difficult to buy an S5 in the US. You need to find a dealer that wants to. Best is to use a broker. One that I know of is buyusacars.com. The breakdown is as follow:

US car: total price of standard without premium sound but everything else (gas tax, destination charge, tech package, carbon inlays,...) is $58K and after all taxes, duties, RIV, gaz tax, broker fees, transport,... about $74.5K all taxes included.

Cdn Car: Same car with base price of $66k, PDI $2,300, and same options (certain leather is optional in Canada) is about $86.5K all taxes included.

Difference: $12K!!!

It is worthed
can i PM you and ask you how you pull it off? Thanks...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
This looks very reasonable to me. One additional cost is that you need to have the speedo changed to metric. You don't have the option of leaving it in miles. I'm not sure what that costs, but I'm guessing an additional $500 or more. I suspect that when Audi decided on Canadian pricing, they probably did a similar analysis and priced the car so that they are still making more money than on US vehicles, but not so much more that it's worth it for we Canadians to go south to get one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow! $86.5K? That seems pretty high. Are you sure of your calculations? That seems like nearly $10 000 in options.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My fully loaded S5 in Canada is 78500 all in, taxes included. Not worth saving 4000 for all the hassle and the mph speedo, warranty and servicing concerns etc. Now if I were buying a Ferrari, that's a different story.

Coming in April Brilliant Black, Magma, stainless steel, B&O, Nav, Tech including Audi advanced parking

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Wait. There are states without sales tax!?
Yep, sure are. They include Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon. For those folks who are interested in what the sales tax percentages for each state are, you can find them here.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My fully loaded S5 in Canada is 78500 all in, taxes included. Not worth saving 4000 for all the hassle and the mph speedo, warranty and servicing concerns etc. Now if I were buying a Ferrari, that's a different story.

Coming in April Brilliant Black, Magma, stainless steel, B&O, Nav, Tech including Audi advanced parking
would you please tell me where did u buy your car? and how much did they charge you for all the options, freight/pdi, admin etc? b/c that seems like a pretty good deal....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts