Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Audi S5 6spd
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought a pair of carbon fiber mirror caps for my 2015 b8.5, s5.

I'm looking to buy some ppf to protect it from the elements and more importantly from the uv Ray's.

Is there a company that sells ppf that is already cut into the shape for my mirror caps?

I want to try it and do it myself. I guess I can take it to a shop, but I'm sure I'll get charged an arm and a leg.

Fyi I'm from the USA

I aim to misbehave

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
Give us a clue mate, what is PPF????

·
Registered
784 Posts
Paint protection film, the common english/british name. Usually in the US they call it "clear bra"..

I wouldn't know if it comes pre-cut but tbh I'd doubt it. A lot of the pro companies that do them have a computer with a scan of the car and their massive printer prints and cuts in one go the sheets they apply to the car for an accurate fit. At least that's how it's been for the professionals I've seen do it on youtube.

I would have thought, firstly, for a mirror cover with compound curves to be a fairly complicated piece to do, especially if you haven't done it before, but I'm not sure how shapeable those films are to apply. I see plenty of people do wrap their own car though so on the plus side I can't see anything against trying it yourself, even though IMO you'd be doing it to one of the most difficult pieces to wrap?

I would definitely try searching out a local pro company to at least enquire about the cost first before trying this at home.

Regards

·
Registered
2015 Audi S5 6spd
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have it on my current mirror covers. Yeah it seem I'll have to buy a roll of ppf and try to cut it myself into shape.

I aim to misbehave

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
I aim to misbehave???? What kind of rebellion is that .......my lad is 22 and never mentioned that one....

·
Registered
357 Posts
For a simple & cost effective solution how about just using some 303?
..'303 Aerospace Protectant has a SPF of 40, the most UV protection offered by any surface protectant. It was originally formulated for aerospace and aviation applications, machines that come much closer to the sun than your vehicle. 303 is the single most effective protectant on the market.
303 Aerospace Protectant repels water and dirt, and resists stains. Treated surfaces require less cleaning and will remain in like-new condition. It restores the original finish to vinyl, rubber, plastic, acrylic, finished leather, and fibreglass. 303 is never oily or greasy.'

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Firefly and serenity Simon.....

Mal: This report is maybe twelve years old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear, because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people…better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave.

now I've wasted 3 minutes on Google I am off to do what it was invented for...looking at tits....

·
Registered
2015 Audi S5 6spd
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firefly and serenity Simon.....

Mal: This report is maybe twelve years old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear, because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people…better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave.

now I've wasted 3 minutes on Google I am off to do what it was invented for...looking at tits....

I aim to misbehave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts