Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
The realities of modern water based paint systems

Unfortunately with today's water based paint systems, cars are delivered with the paint not fully cured. You should actually never use a pressure washer, especially on the "jet mode" and with-in a couple of feet of the surface on today's cars. All detailers hand wash the cars with a mineral filter and a medium pressure nozzle. The most susceptible areas on the car are the plastic painted surfaces such as the bumpers. Modern paints are also much more susceptible to bird droppings, tree sap, stone chips and even things like being "egged" (kids throwing eggs at your car). Take your car to the dealer and see what they say. If you are lucky you may have just damaged the clear coat and it can be fixed with a re-spray.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hard to tell from those pics

On the detailer forums the preferred method to show paint defects is to take a picture with 500-1000W halogen twin lights (the industrial type) lighting the area (usually in a garage) and using a close-up or micro lens. I use a 105 mm micro on my Nikon D80.
From your first picture the best I can say is that it looks like a sponge or dirty towel mark producing a swirl trail. It doesn't look like buffer haze or marring.
The most likely thing is the dealer washed the car improperly. In my experience I have yet to find a dealer that washes their cars properly (including the high end vehicle dealers like Porsche and Aston Martin). Usually they let the most junior person (often a kid doing part-time) wash the car and they use poor technique.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Then that should be able to be buffed out. I'd take it to a professional detailer first then with info in hand go to the dealer and see what he says.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts