Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya team!!
Strange one here for your consideration please concerning my old B6 S4 V8, to which I am slowly applying some tlc to bring her back up to standard ish.
Today I drove her for the to work, only about 10km from the garage, and just as I was about to park the steering became hard as a rock and required Charles Atlas to park her.
No warning, no lights, nothing. Then I drove another 20km and she stayed the same so I drove VERY gently cos cornering was truly hard work.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance, Simon.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yep as morski said. Sounds like your fluid level has dropped. Top it up with power steering fluid (same as ATF), Check for leaks under the car, could be a ruptured hose or a leaky seal.
If the fluid level is ok could be the pump itself.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks both, very kind!! Since my post I have not been back to the car, I will nip up later today and check the level. This morning I realised that this is the likely problem, but I am just suprised that nothing warned me that the level had fallen. The steering did not make any noise at all, just required about 100 times more effort!!! Thanks again and I will report back later.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting. I had power steering rack/ fluid failure in my old Peugeot. Very bad leak. But i did get small symptoms on drive before losing all power steering. Most noticeably was going round a corner the steering would "twitch". It was sudden lock up and unlock as fluid was getting low. You may not get that, or notice it if not many corners etc.

If fluid is low then monitor after top up in case a constant leak is there.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SAVS mate and really that was the strange thing there was ZERO warning or sympoms of any kind. UPDATE. I topped up the oil level in the power steering reservoir cos it was practically empty, so now I must keep an eye on the level so I can try to understand if this is just a tiny oil loss OR something more worrying/dangerous. I have not found any oil underneath the car so it may be just a tiny loss I guess......

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah. ATF mate. Is that not good????? Today I drove the car and she is about 60% better.....

·
Registered
508 Posts
Simon, morski is right. I did some googling and it is not recommended to use atf in Audi since 1990. It should be fine for a short period or just to get you home but.....if I were you I'd drain and refill with Audi specific power steering fluid as soon as its convenient.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys much appreciated. Guess what???? Well, she dropped ALL of the hydraulic fluid on the ground today so I limped to the good old INDI and he topped it up only to find all of the oil on his shoes!!! On the ramp he found the pipe and eventually managed to remove it. Basically the high pressure pipe has given up the ghost so I must now buy a new one!!! Happy days.....

·
Registered
508 Posts
Same thing happened to my wifes old insignia a few years ago. Was no biggie. New hose and it was fine again. At least it's not a failed rack and you can fill it with the reccomended audi fluid this time. 👍

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah agreed Joe! Indeed yesterday we stripped the car to get to the hose and eventually removed it, new one on order for a modest 20 Euro. Watch this space hehe.

Reactions: Smokey Joe
1 - 13 of 13 Posts