Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,
I need to install my Road Angel Speed Camera Detector in the new car but just wondered if anybody had any tips for cable routing/power source to the windscreen area?

In my S4 I was able to route the wire down the side of the dashboard trim and into the fusebox and tap it onto an existing circuit.

Cheers,
Warren

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Dealer lent me a V8 S5 a while back and the Road Angel was fitted exactly as you described for the S4. Not sure what circuit the power came from though!

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealer lent me a V8 S5 a while back and the Road Angel was fitted exactly as you described for the S4. Not sure what circuit the power came from though!
Excellent, with have a look! Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Warren

I have a Roadpilot micro go installed in my S5. It's a very small unit mounted on a Gimbel just above he drivers right air vent. I had it installed by a audio fitter but did stick my nose in to see how it was done, He removed the metal trim around the vent and routed the power and GPS cable through into the dash. The trim was refitted allowing the cables to neatly pass between the metal trim and dash surround.The power was then connected to the fuse panel as previously mentioned. The GPS antenna was installed under the drivers side A post trim.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, thanks for the pics - I'll probably have a go at this tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
One of the things I love about this forum is the chance learn how things work over on the European side of the pond. It's amazing to me that you would have to buy a contraption that alerts you to the presence of speed or red light cameras. Here in The States these things have not as yet reached the level of prevalence equal you have other there (this does remind me that a "1984" was about England, after all) and where they do exist there is inevitably a big sign that says "RED LIGHT CAMERA IN FORCE." So if you are half awake you should never be caught unawares. Which I guess means 3/4 of the populace are still sitting ducks, and the other 1/4 who are actually paying attention are highly likely to be rear-ended by someone from the first 3/4 when they do come to a stop before the red at an intersection with one of those signs.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's amazing to me that you would have to buy a contraption that alerts you to the presence of speed or red light cameras.
Yup, they're everywhere - they used to hide them behind direction signs and trees etc... until they were made to paint them bright yellow, but are still easily missed.

Logically, I think they probably should be hidden - if you're not breaking the law it shouldn't matter where they're placed but that's a textbook view, not my personal wish to have them all burned to the ground (which does happen) ;)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Nice Photo Warren!

I thought the 'ConDem' Government were planning to scrap Speed Cameras as part of their Big Government campaign... not sure what that means for the sale of Speed Detectors, another few hundred jobs on the scrap heap I expect.
Cheers
RG

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I had my Road Angel professionally wired in, the cable comes out from the top part of the MMI screen and looks nice and tidy, cost me about £50! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Warren, not meaning to hi-jack your thread but can you advise (or anyone for that matter) on a wise choice for detector in the UK. Do they all now detect fixed & mobile cameras?

I had a detected back in 2003 and it detected the "signal" from speed cameras... a few false positives but it did work.. now though 7 years later I'm sure there is a better version out there.

Many thanks

Andy

EDIT: This is the one I used to have! : http://www.radar-detector-shop.co.uk/products/bel-550-radar-detectors.htm

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the Road Angel Professional Connected, its connected to the internet via GSM to receive camera database updates and users can alert all other users of live mobile cameras - also you can track car journeys online.

It doesn't include a radar detector because they were going to be banned potentially making the device illegal, so they have a port you can plug an optional radar detector in.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have the Road Angel Professional Connected, its connected to the internet via GSM to receive camera database updates and users can alert all other users of live mobile cameras - also you can track car journeys online.

It doesn't include a radar detector because they were going to be banned potentially making the device illegal, so they have a port you can plug an optional radar detector in.
Thanks for heads up mate. I'll take a looksie..

A.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

I've been looking at getting one of those; what are your thoughts on it? Seems like the thing to have?

I would be very intrigued to see how it ends up looking mounted in your car when/if you give it a go!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been looking at getting one of those; what are your thoughts on it? Seems like the thing to have?

I would be very intrigued to see how it ends up looking mounted in your car when/if you give it a go!
Yer, they're great - it didn't look too bad in my S4 but I'll take some pics once installed in the S5 to show how it looks.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had my Road Angel professionally wired in, the cable comes out from the top part of the MMI screen and looks nice and tidy, cost me about £50! :thumbsup:
Any pictures of this Billy? I'm still undecided on the location...

·
Registered
702 Posts
My Audi dealer did the wiring for my Road Angel and charged £30. The cable came out of the panel on the drivers side of the dash (the panel that's hidden when the door is closed), routed up behind the trim and in the "gap" between the leading edge of the dash and the bottom of the windscreen. A really neat install with the only visible cable being the bit leading into the unit. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice Photo Warren!

I thought the 'ConDem' Government were planning to scrap Speed Cameras as part of their Big Government campaign... not sure what that means for the sale of Speed Detectors, another few hundred jobs on the scrap heap I expect.
Cheers
RG
Apparently they have switched off all the cameras in Oxfordshire but I don't know of anyone who's been brave enough to confirm this!!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally managed to get around to doing this and the install was extremely easy, the hardest part was finding a spare switched live fuse (which in a car with all the options are few and far inbetween)!

Switched live fuse found, I made a little wiring harness to connect a female cigarette socket to the car via the appropriate spade/eyelet connectors, including an inline fuse carrier since we're connecting to a raw 12v source.

There are a couple of other ways this can be done, such as "tapping" onto the wire of an existing fused circuit but this involves finding said wire and putting additional load onto the existing circuit. Another way could be wiring it in to the back of the fusebox but that's a more work than really necessary.

So this gives me a working 12v cigarette socket under the dashboard, switched with the ignition and easily removed if required. Finally, I simply ran the Road Angel car charger down the gap between the dashboard and windscreen pillar which leads nicely into the fusebox area and plugged into the new power socket.

The beauty of this is that the Road Angel unit can easily be swapped with whatever device you come to be using since its just a standard power socket.

Some people might think you should/can just chop the cigarette socket plug off the end of the Road Angel/(insert device here) charger cable and wire this cable directly to the car - this is not true, the plug contains electronics to regulate the voltage the unit requires (12v to 5v in this case).

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Great Warren that is a neat fix and easy to remove too.

Cheers

RG

PS On the speed camera story I have heard that certain Local Authories are seeking quotes to REMOVE cameras... surely in times of austerity I would rather they stayed put for now and the money for their removal diverted to the NHS!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts