Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As someone who has only admired audi's but never owned one, I am moving in the buy direction. Would just like some comments from people with audi experience on my choices. I'm torn between a 2016 S5, and a 2015 RS5. The RS is around $15k more,(and a few more km's) but it was the look of the RS, at least in these years, that drew me to the brand. I know that the RS has more power (different engine), different suspension, not sure about the transmission......just trying to wrap my head around it all. Also if anyone knows, is there some place (thread) that lists/discusses the differences, and what is maintenance/repair differences like.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Hi, welcome!

You can find a collection of brochures for US model Audi's here: Index of /cdn/brochures/audi

I know you are looking for Canadian information. Those are difficult to find in the internet. I do have them so feel free to send me an email. I can share them with you through my Google Drive.

The RS5 is a nice car to have. I suggest that you test drive one first before deciding whether it is the right car for you. The V8 engine is very heavy compared to the V6 of the S5. This means that the RS5 is very nose heavy. The S5 is also nose heavy but not as much. Also, RS5's are guzzlers but you are probably not worrying about it if you are considering one.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice. The RS5 is definitely the elite of the group with more muscular looks, better brakes, suspension and a stonking V8 soundtrack. The S5 is cheaper to buy and run (fuel, parts, insurance etc) and is still a beautiful looking car. Also with tuning the S5 can be as powerful and often more powerful than the RS5 and although has a good soundtrack it can't quite match the RS.
Neither car will disappoint.
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Coming from a pontiac G8 (6.0 liter) so used to the V8, but can't quite decide if the RS is worth the extra dollars.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Thanks guys. Coming from a pontiac G8 (6.0 liter) so used to the V8, but can't quite decide if the RS is worth the extra dollars.
I currently own and drive a '16 S5 and a big fan of Audis. If I am free to choose and money is not an issue, I would step up to the RS5. But, I am also a practical person. There is no way I can open up an RS5 as much as I want to while living and working here in the Vancouver burbs. And, the higher fuel consumption and maintenance costs will kill me. The supercharged V6 engine (333 hp) of the S5 strikes a good balance for me. It is very easy to drive around town but you get your kicks when the opportunity to open it up presents itself.

I am still in love with the looks of the B8/8.5 RS5 and S5 and A5. Still turns heads! For me, the exterior design is classic and timeless. Some might think otherwise.

Again, I suggest taking one for a test drive and find out it it is your cup of tea. Personally, I can say that you'll love it. Aside from the superb V8 Audi engine and tranny, the RS5 will provide you with a higher level of performance, driving comfort, and engineering than your Pontiac G8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, as much as I like the G8 (its a hell of a car for the price) I'm wanting to take another step up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts