Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
My knowledge on cars isn’t the best and certainly not great on v8s(high performance cars)

Ive had my eyes on an Audi s5 for a long time.
My budget is about £9k. The year I’m looking to buy will be between 07 and 09 due to budget etc.

Questions-

1. I know the cars mpg isn’t amazing but realistically what can I expect?

2. Any known problems to look out for?

3. What mileage would be seen as too for a 07-09 s5 (with good service history)?

4. Manual or auto?

5. Is carbon clean essential?

6. What’s the best custom exhaust?
Many thanks
Bradley

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi

Nice choice

1, I get around 21mpg
2. Get any car inspected before purchase by AA RAC etc with a guarantee, I have had no real problems, I bought a 97k in nov 2020 no history :) needed pads and disc, tyres lower ball joints, one brocken spring front ( replaced both) full service good to go. I did have clutch slave failure as well.
3 should get one with 100k or less
4 Manual
5 Not sure if it runs OK not missing or lumpy starting, I might get mine done at 110k whether it needs it or not.
6 Mine has a Milteck sounds great

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, I averaged around 16 - 22mpg on mine, but mainly short journeys. Road tax was £500 plus too. I had a manual, which was great, but a pain in traffic, and I go auto these days.

I didn’t have any issues with mine, however like any car, it is pot luck and judgment on history and the person your buying it from.

My old one

Good luck, they are great cars, and it is definitely nice to have owned one before they become extremely rare, or impossible to run on our emissions restricted roads!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry, to add, when I purchased mine it was on 110k miles, and I needed to replace the clutch, at around £1500, however after that it ran perfect, with no issues. I think I have a tread on here somewhere about it.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Hiya, my old S4 V8 is now over 200k kms uses zero oil and goes like stink!! Mine is auto. LOVELY car, try to find as much service history as possible cos these engines need to be looked after.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm actually looking to sell mine for about that amount - it's not in a perfect condition but I've spent the last two years getting it to a stage where there aren't major faults.

I bought mine through copart and it had been stolen and recovered. It needed a lot of work just to get it to pass its MOT and since then it's been reliable and so much fun to drive.

I don't know any S5 V8 owner that hasn't had the odd problem but it's all worth it when you start it up for the first time and get that mighty roar!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts