Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, while checking my Audi A5 oil the other day with the 3.2L NA V6 I took off the oil fill cap I found coolant in the oil on the back of the fill cap. I checked the coolant reservoir (it was low) I checked it for air bubbles but didn’t see anything. I got the car around 152k and now has 157k and was fine for the last 4k. Car is never driven rough at all. The oil is still the normal colour and not the chocolate milk it would have been if it mixed fully (Since my car is a 2008 it has the dip stick so I can check it without draining the oil).

I heard that coolant can get into the oil via the intake manifold or it’s gasket failing, if not it would be the head gasket or sure.

Also a weird sound was coming from the engine bay after

Any help would be great to figure out what to do

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
First thing - don't panic! Easier said than done i know.

On visual examination of photo only, it may be just normal condensation + oil residue. Not head gasket blown.
Things you've said such as oil normal colour at dipstick and no bubbles in reservoir seem good.

How far do you drive the car? Is it a daily motor? Are you driving it far or hard enough to drive out condensation moisture?

At this point i would top up coolant, clean any milky residue you find and observe. A head gasket leak will soon start consuming coolant!
If coolant is disappearing fast and the build up comes back quick then off to a garage for a cooling system pressure test.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts

On visual examination of photo only, it may be just normal condensation + oil residue. Not head gasket blown.
Things you've said such as oil normal colour at dipstick and no bubbles in reservoir seem good.

How far do you drive the car? Is it a daily motor? Are you driving it far or hard enough to drive out condensation moisture?

At this point i would top up coolant, clean any milky residue you find and observe. A head gasket leak will soon start consuming coolant!
If coolant is disappearing fast and the build up comes back quick then off to a garage for a cooling system pressure test.
Wise words indeed!!! I know that when a head gasket goes you cannot see anything from your mirrors for the cloud of vapour that you are creating, and the oil cap internals look like snow. It is more likely to be a lesser evil I think. You need to take pen and paper and test the car one step at a time and always note what you did and what changed, until you work it out. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Reactions: savs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I drive the car around 30km a day, the car has taken a lot of coolant since I last checked everything in November.

Coincidentally I was putting in a RS5 grill when I had noticed this and I already had the under trays off and saw that there was nothing and it was dry so leaks are not a issue. Before it had light streaks of coolant in the oil and only had a little bit so I wiped off the cap and took the car for a drive (around 5-10km) and when I came back that’s what I saw.

Luckily I found a picture of my engine bay from last summer and it shows the coolant level and it is way more than what I have now (I’ll attach both before and after below)
98927E5E-0253-494D-84DA-E110FCF8CCB0.png Before 1E7958C1-0003-4D40-871C-141E5CDED6A3.jpeg After

·
Registered
118 Posts
Check the black cross over pipe at the front of the engine. I just needed to do mine on a 2008 3.2, it was weeping slowly near the flange connection to the head, word is it is really common and on the 3.0T

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
That is surely not the head gasket methinks....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is surely not the head gasket methinks....
But the thing that baffles me is where the coolant went? And it’s marking weird noises since then. I just left the car alone and put it away in the garage till I can figure it out or find a shop to look at it. I have VCDS so I’ll plug it in a see what’s going on but most likely it won’t show anything plus since it’s a 2008 car, it had the manual dip stick so probably won’t tell me if my coolant is low either (which it is). I had great plans for this car such as a B8.5 face lift and maybe swapping in a S5 motor into it but didn’t want to deal with it till Atleast a the end of this year so I would have the winter to work on it again so hopefully I can sort it out before summer comes since here in Canada we don’t really get spring

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Could be perhaps a faulty rad cap that is allowing the water under pressure to escape as steam......cheap component to change for sure. And dont forget that VW Audi is famous for cheap and crappy thermostats so that is cheap and easy to change too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That might be it. I’ve noticed since I started driving it there has been some sort of smoke coming from the front right side of the vehicle when I park it. I thought it was something from the clutch since the car was parked for a year in my garage without me driving it.

I was thinking of doing a carbon cleaning on it since I don’t know when that was done or if it was ever done and spark plugs to just give it a needed tune up. While I’m in there I’ll try seeing if there’s any coolant hoses leaking and replace those caps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be perhaps a faulty rad cap that is allowing the water under pressure to escape as steam......cheap component to change for sure. And dont forget that VW Audi is famous for cheap and crappy thermostats so that is cheap and easy to change too.
Well looks like I found one of the culprits on where the coolant has been going... I decided to look at the thermostat since it’s easy to look at and was under the engine cover and found dried up pink coolant and some around the belt.

Huge relief but still had the oil cap with that potential condensation which didn’t stop even though I took it for a final trip to the car wash to make sure all that salt was off the car.

I hope it’s just condensation but from what I saw the thermostat makes sense. Car took forever to heat up in the mornings even when idled for 15-20 mins and now seeing the coolant dried up around it and the belt also confirms the smell I was smelling since the coolant was going onto the belt while it was running.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts