Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a small favour please guys...:rolleyes:

Following a trip to the bodyshop for repairs to a scratch on the boot/trunk lid, I noticed they had put the Audi rings in the wrong position, I've already had one attempt to reposition the rings (had to cut out double sided tape with a blade - took ages !!) but its not as easy as it looks and they were too high leaving a gap under the badge. I've bought some new rings now but could use the distance from the bottom edge of the boot lid to the bottom edge of the boot rings badge so I can get it right this time. Needs a template really but your help on this one would be greatly appreciated and worth a beer if I ever meet you at an owners club meet !! Thanks in advance.

Pete

·
Registered
155 Posts
25mm to bottom of boot lid ....................mines a stella

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers normanh, really appreciate that. I'll have a Stella for you tonight ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Rather than you struggling, why don't you go back to the body shop and tell them to do it right? You already paid them to do the job and you should expect it to be done correctly.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...Doc, correct in many senses, but they'd already proven themselves incapable... I'd have done the same too... especially since messing around with loan cars and getting the car to the shop is such a struggle for me with my work.

BTW... this is the kinda 'hard to find' info this forum is great for!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rather than you struggling, why don't you go back to the body shop and tell them to do it right? You already paid them to do the job and you should expect it to be done correctly.

I know doc, but as Ian says they tried it once and messed it up, whats to say they won't do it again. I fitted the badge last night working to Norman's measurement, looks spot on now and only took ten mins. My daughter has just taken delivery of a new Fiat 500, she ordered some little Italian badges for the front wings, they came with a paper template, shame Audi couldn't do the same. Anyway as ever thanks for they help chaps, thats what I love about this forum..

·
Registered
106 Posts
The four rings.

Although I am most proud to display the Audi rings on my attire. I do not like to have one of the most beautiful autos of today marred by all the cheap plastic IDs. Why replace the logo on the boot/trunk? I took off the quattro logo and the 3.2 logo and the A5 logo. It was a struggle, but seeing "Kwickag", my A5, in the nude, I am enamored of her even more every day. Yes, when I get some time, I will extract the beloved four rings from Kwickag's deriere.

I have found that the best tools to remove the extraineous markings are finger nails and plastic kitchen utensils. To begin the operation, heat up the area with a hair dryer. This makes the adhesive tape a little more cooperative. Then gently pry the offending piece with your finger nails, then bring in the heavy artillery in the shape of your kitchen tools. The remaining tape, and there will be remaining tape, can be removed with a product available here in the States called Goo Gone. I can imagine that any bug, tar and tree sap remover could do the same job.

Have patience and your beautiful automotive companion will look more like a dream car.

And Blade, Stella is my choice of brew here in Arizona. Cheers!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I know doc, but as Ian says they tried it once and messed it up, whats to say they won't do it again. I fitted the badge last night working to Norman's measurement, looks spot on now and only took ten mins. My daughter has just taken delivery of a new Fiat 500, she ordered some little Italian badges for the front wings, they came with a paper template, shame Audi couldn't do the same. Anyway as ever thanks for they help chaps, thats what I love about this forum..
I understand, and I don't blame you for wanting to do it yourself, but I am very stubborn and would out of spite make them do it 10 times or more until it was done right. Just my personality I guess. Post a pic of your handywork once its done and then take your car to the body shop to show them how to do it right. Finally demand a bit of money back for the time you had to waste (sorry my vendictive personality showing up again).:D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i dont think audi intended on us removing badges thats maybe why there is no stencil!

i would go back complain and make sure they do it right...... after all a jobs not worth doin unless its done correct!!!

as for removing badges with fingernails mmmm i cant see me doing that mine would brake!!!! if you find successful ways please let me know

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys and Jen, the easiest and most successful way to remove the badge is with some fine string or fishing line, pull it tight and slip it behind the badges, works every time promise. Jen I broke my nail trying to be lazy, frickin hurt....:eek:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
cheers blade!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome !!;)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...Dental floss is ideal for this purpose!

It's what all the professionals recommend... although I'm not sure if waxed or unwaxed makes any difference!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
hehehehe..... sorry that could go a whole different way

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
907 Posts
Although I am most proud to display the Audi rings on my attire. I do not like to have one of the most beautiful autos of today marred by all the cheap plastic IDs. Why replace the logo on the boot/trunk? I took off the quattro logo and the 3.2 logo and the A5 logo. It was a struggle, but seeing "Kwickag", my A5, in the nude, I am enamored of her even more every day. Yes, when I get some time, I will extract the beloved four rings from Kwickag's deriere.

I have found that the best tools to remove the extraineous markings are finger nails and plastic kitchen utensils. To begin the operation, heat up the area with a hair dryer. This makes the adhesive tape a little more cooperative. Then gently pry the offending piece with your finger nails, then bring in the heavy artillery in the shape of your kitchen tools. The remaining tape, and there will be remaining tape, can be removed with a product available here in the States called Goo Gone. I can imagine that any bug, tar and tree sap remover could do the same job.

Have patience and your beautiful automotive companion will look more like a dream car.

And Blade, Stella is my choice of brew here in Arizona. Cheers!
Don't throw them away. I'm sure Essfive will be pleased to get another "decal"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts