Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm in a bit of a quandary and i'd figured i'd throw this out there for 2 reasons - the first to actually get all of this out of my head and onto (virtual) paper so that i can see it spread out, and the second to solicit opinions from you guys..

the story of my S5 is that around the end of last year I decided I was going to need to get back into Audi. I'd sold my '00 S4 and to save money and increase utility I went with a Dodge Magnum. It's not a bad car, and fits most of my needs despite being a barge compared to a European car (even though the suspension is based on the E-class). To ensure "fun" i of course went with the V8.. But i missed my S4 way too much, and when the S5 hit, i thought, hey, SOLD! it's sharp, handles amazingly, well, you guys know the rest..

then in December we found out we were pregnant (well, she is, i just helped) with our second, and as happens in these cases things will change from a priority and cash perspective..

then between November and March i joined 2 bands and am gigging quite frequently, and definitely can use something that hauls some stuff that i'm not afraid to tear up a bit..

then in January we got the missus a Q7, which is a fantastic vehicle with an identical dash/technology setup to the S5 (one of the selling points, actually).. so, i have a bit of the Audi edge taken off by having one again, even if it's not a corner carver it's still got the amazing build quality and gives me that satisfaction when i sit in it.. though i don't get to do that except for the weekends usually..

i'm 4th on the list for manual S5 allocation, and my dealer has been getting 1 each 6M/TIP per month, so that puts my allocation at about August? September? assuming no amazing speedups in production..

So the car will come after our second is born and while the wife is on leave and while I'm in sleep deprivation hell again..

The Magnum would be paid off next fall if I kept it.. the magnum payments are around $600/mo, which is a bit less than the S5 which would be closer to $1k.. We really need to save as much money as we can since we're looking to keep my wife home for as long as possible (without pay eventually) and once she does go back to work, we're looking at another $1.2k/mo hit for school for kid #2.. so, financially the cheaper, the better.. We could swing the extra for the car payment, but i definitely couldn't afford both the S5 and the Magnum at the same time..

I need something to gig with, and it can't be the Q7 as it's not always available and i don't want to tear up the back with that much wear.. i do have an old van (in the background of this picture of the magnum) that is kinda awesome but also kinda deadly with it's manual steering, manual brakes and no seat belts.. i really should sell it and use the proceeds to help finance a safer replacement..

so my options seem to be:

hold off on the S5 (maybe have the dealer cut people in front of me? can they do that?), pay off the Magnum, get the S5 then, use the Magnum as my daily driver/gig machine, use the S5 on weekends and nice days (and rainy days and in snow and...)

sell the Magnum, get the S5 in August, gig with the van <-- for my childrens' sake this is a bad idea

sell the Magnum, get the S5 in August, get something cheap to gig with.. used van? used HHR or something? the panel version of the HHR is actually kinda cool and would fit the bill..

sell everything, get an E63 wagon.. too expensive, wouldn't want to gig with it..

wait until Audi comes up with a better car for my needs - new S4 wagon?

for me exclusivity isn't as important as how the car makes me feel when i drive.. the S4 i had made me feel awesome, throwing it into corners with confidence, rocketing through back roads, slamming on the brakes when i saw the cops up ahead, flying past a cop by accident doing probably well over 100 but thankfully not getting clocked, etc.. BUT, i'm a bit older now, being in my early 30s instead of late 20s and now with kids, well, my driving style has changed.. i don't think i'll appreciate it any less, i just wonder if it's reeeeeeeally necessary right now..

so then i went to the MB dealer to take a look at the C63 and holy crap what a pile.. i mean, nice engine, i'm sure it's a psychotic car to drive, but the interior components are so cheap feeling! the rings that you turn to adjust the temperature, for example, they bend and wiggle and don't feel solid.. any of the levers - the windows for example - all move and bend past their travel in a very unsatisfying, thin plasticky way.. fit is acceptable, but wow Audi has spoiled the crap out of me.. actually, i think the inside of my Dodge is as good as if not better than the C-class in my opinion.. all just my observations and personal feelings, not meant to rile anyone up, mind you..

I'm trying to find the sweet spot of cash outlay to functionality to satisfaction.. i know Audi has to be in the equation, it's just a question of how and when..

anyhow, thanks for listening, but i don't blame you if you didn't :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
bri, You've overlooked the obvious. Let the wife test drive the S5, and she will figure a way for you to keep it. You can just go on gigging and still get your car!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Things change, keep the order in for the S5

I would keep the order in, hang on to the Magnum for your stuff hauler. Wait until the S5 comes in to make your final decision. Get rid of that blue thing use the money to buy a new guitar or something. You're early 30's. Really the most important thing right now is your family but after my second kid I did get so sleep deprived I went out and bought an NSX. That was 1991. Oh Oh that starts a whole other discussion but I'll save you that pain.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Two solutions...

1) Follow your head... keep the magnum and replace the van... your heart can be indulged at a more convenient time.

2) Use your head and get the S5, then (I know this sounds criminal, but justifiable) get a tow-bar fitted and buy a small box-trailer for your gear... that way it can get as beat-up as you like and your car will be fine.

I nearly did the above, but couldn't stand the thought of an S5 with a tow-bar, so I bought the wife a big Landrover, so I can put my gear in that when I'm gigging!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
upstate: first of all i hate your area of the state - one day i decided to take the S4 from boston (where i lived at the time) to rochester (where the wife went to grad school) in the middle of winter.. not a cloud in the sky, i hit syracuse around 9-10pm and HOLY CRAP BLIZZARD OUT OF NOWHERE! "lake effect" sounds so much calmer than it really is.. that plus i got nailed that same trip by chittenango's finest with laser - my V1 nearly shot out of the windscreen it was so freaked out..

anyhow, unfortunately the wife doesn't drive stick and after trying to teach her on my S4 i've quite given up on that.. this car would be 100% mine, though she didn't mind riding in it..

wrx: i know, there are tons of perfect cars throughout history that will never sell here.. the original RS-4 is another..

deak: actually i play keys, but i get your point.. my concern with keeping the order and deciding upon delivery is that if i decide not to take it, then later decide to take it, will i be in for another year wait? i mean, in the time this car has taken to go from order to allocation we've decided to have another kid, i've gotten her pregnant, and she'll likely deliver all while my order sits at my dealer's.. this time i have a distraction (extreme panic) but next time i hopefully won't..

Ian: the van will have to go, it's just a matter of when and how much work i want to put into it.. if i keep the magnum, i don't need anything else to fit my criteria really, except i'll miss out on the whole S5 thing.. as for #2, that's not really an option as i mostly gig in DC, which is probably harder to navigate and park in than London.. add to it that the areas in DC where i gig, well, we'd have to toss a coin to predict if the S5 would be where i left it when we were done..

i usually gig with a leslie 142 thats seen much better days, and it has a tendency to tear up interiors even when packed well, plus with all the road cases and aluminum corners i wouldn't feel good about putting my crap in anything worth more than $30k US or so.. not to get sidetracked, but what do you play?

·
Registered
315 Posts
pick up your S5, enjoy for couple hundred miles, flip it for a profit, then place another order, which should give you another year to think it through.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow. I think you've pretty much covered all of the bases here! I must chime in since I'm just down the road & I think you're right next to me on the waiting list. So here's a bunch of rambling for you to ponder.

So first, the obvious, what is the most important thing in your list of facts (you already know this): Kids & wife. You only get one chance to do that one right. They'll keep putting out new cars that we all want to buy every year, but it's difficult & undesirable to trade in your kids/wife :).

OK. Next up are the numbers, which you've probably already run a thousand times. Wife needs to stay home for awhile so you need to have the cash to cover that & then daycare (which is expensive as hell around here!) I've been through the EXACT same situation & am still paying for 2! I could have bought a few boats & cars for what I've paid/continue to pay in daycare. But you have to pay to play! Anyway, I digress.... So you should know exactly how much money you need & for how long etc. It all comes down to cash & priorities, so it should be black & white. You probably already know exactly what you need to do.

Some points:

- You've waited quite awhile for the S5 already; that would suck to jump out of line.
- .....but priorities change & you have to adapt.
- Seems like Joseph could definitely move you backwards in the queue. I've seen him bounce around in the interface & queuing order is definitely controlled by the dealer.
- I'll bet they'll keep making the S5 for awhile & it will probably just get better.
- When you're dealing with sleep deprivation & the new infant thing; it helps to have something fun to do too (course, infants seem to be a 100% of your time thing....but still.)
- An S5 would be fun; waiting for an S5 could be fun too......having something in the hopper is always good.
- Lots of really cool cars coming out for 2010.
- You'll drive a lot of cool cars in your lifetime because you're a car guy.
- As long as your wife & kids are good; everything else is just icing.

Basically, you're in a pretty enviable position. You've got a good set of cars. You've got a kid on the way. Exciting stuff. If you can swing the car right away & it's a priority, do it! Otherwise, jump down the list a few notches to give yourself some additional time & see how everything goes. I'm sure Joseph can do that for you & tell you exactly where you will be on the list. Even sitting at number 4, its hard to tell when the allocation might come. Seems like we haven't gotten our usual 15th of the month allocation yet this time around. If HBL gets a month or 2 without an S5 allocation, then that just pushes it out further.

Definitely let us know what you end up doing & how its going! :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Let's recap: (This may come off as dick, but I am just giving my opinion. I am not insulting or judging you, especially since I don't know your financial situation)

You can afford a Q7.
You have the stress of another child on the way.
You are a year away from owning a mean looking V8 Hemi wagon.
Gas is not going down anytime soon thanks to the media forcing people to accept it as reality.
You love driving.
Being in a band myself, you and I both know how unreliable that can be.
The S5 would be a luxury for you.

My impression is that you are banking on the extra income from gigging to allow you to afford the S5. That just doesn't sound like the right play.

To me, there are too many "what if"s.
What if one of you loses your day job?
What if one of the children gets sick?
What if gas doesn't stop going up?
What if the band slows up with the recession?
What if you have to start paying for health insurance because of the job loss?
What if you get the S5 and you end up hating it because of the payment?
What if your wife blames her still working on you having the car?
What if you have to quit the band to be at home with the family?

You have a loving wife and growing family. Why not enjoy those first 4-5 years when the children are most in need of parental care and adorable with less stress and more financial freedom. You may end up spending all your time working just to pay for a car (yes in the end it is just a car) and miss your kid's first words, or miss the priceless moments when your kids repeat something you say completely out of context. Start this month by putting that deposit and the extra money an S5 would cost ($400) a month in a good mutual fund (easy to find one at morningstar). When you pay off the Magnum, start putting the full 1,000 car payment into it.

Assuming you start June 1st with a 1k deposit, and $400 a month, and then bump up to $1,000 a month in 9/2009, in August of 2012 (Your youngest will be getting ready for pre-school and your other will be in elementary) you will have $50,000 saved up in the fun car fund (assumes 8% annualized return which really is what to expect for a good mutual fund in the current climate). Of course this doesn't include the wrenches life will throw in your path, but it sounds to me like you wouldn't be prepared for them if you bought the S5.

Myself, I would invest the money with the understanding with my wife that when it comes time, it is your choice what to do with it. With the current market shift in cars, why not wait for the next innovation in hybrid sport technology and increased effeciency. If the S5 is still for you, I am sure you will be able to find one used for less money and well cared for. In the end, you get to enjoy the hectic, stressful, and joyous time that is raising children, while working towards a great goal of getting what you want flat out without over-extending yourself. Less (hopefully no) arguments about money, and a cushion in case the worst happens. Life is too short to live it as a slave to a car payment.

The S5 is an awesome driving experience, and there are few things that compare, but I think that raising a family and being able to go to bed at night without worrying about the money will be the best thing for you, your wife, and your kids happiness. If you could have it all right now, you wouldn't have had to post your dilemma to the forum.

About me: I got lucky enough to buy it while I have no financial and family responsibilities. I was able to save up over half the value of the car and am paying the other half off agressively. By the time munchkins are in the discussion, the car will be paid off in full.

PS - You already have one luxury car. You can always look down the path of modifying the magnum to get that thing to put out really big power. It won't handle the same, but in a straight line and with some mods, I bet you can get it to beat an S5 in a straight line.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great responses, i really appreciate it.. a lot to add to the mix..

yes, it is just a car and a luxury at that.. priorities being what they are i really need to reconsider, or rather, re-weight certain things in my life, no question.. i know i'm in an enviable position (it never feels that way, does it?) and not a day goes by i don't count myself lucky for the amazing family i have and the ability to have the fun that i've had while retaining all of my limbs and organs..

thoughts in no particular order:

do you think i'd actually be able to flip a low-miles S5 for a profit? i'm never EVER on the plus side of those transactions.. i'm the guy that tries this type of thing a week before the bottom falls out of the market.. realistically speaking i'm not sure that this whole scenario is one i'd like to bank on, regardless of how much fun it would be.. plus, unloading such a car in the winter would be difficult.. wait, who am i kidding, i won't get it until january anyhow, so it'd be springtime and the perfect selling season!

yes, the numbers have been run and run and run (my wife does financial analysis for exxonmobil, so you better believe excel has been used extensively in this discussion :) and a lot of things are possible, i'm just trying to maximize my criteria of fun, cash and satisfaction.. for example, no S5/other Audi definitely counts against the fun side of the equation, while adding a plus to cash, but a big frowney face under satisfaction.. the bottom line is, i could handle $1k a month for a car, though the wife winces as it's $400 more than my current payment.. however, then i lose the ability to gig in a car i don't care as much about since that assumes loss of Magnum.. waiting until the Magnum is mine outright seems to be the best bet.. it doesn't make any sense to just pay off the Magnum because the loan is 0%..

and speaking of gigging, no that's just for my personal enjoyment.. i generally don't get paid to do it - the bands i'm in are mostly originals and in this market it doesn't pay well, maybe $400-600 for a night split over the band, it's enough to cover wear on my gear but that's about it.. financing for my rides would be from my real-life job and not the gigging..

don't get me wrong, it's not a question of S5 vs. school for kids or eating this weekend, the finances are a lot better than i made them sound, i'm just trying to squeeze what i can out of the budget we've worked out - if i wanted to stretch it i could make everything work at once but then i'd have to cut back on things i'd rather not.. worst-case scenarios are planned for, piles of money are in savings and funds and 529s and 401ks, the contingencies are in place.. my comfort level for debt is very, very low, currently i'm just with my mortgage and the car payments, and the only reason we're doing car payments are because mine is at 0% and the missus is a lease for tax/churn reasons, we anticipate flipping it every 3 years and a lease helps with predictability and losing the need to trade and deal with that..

the idea was for this to be my midlife crisis car before my midlife crisis happened, to own this car outright and enjoy it for 10, maybe 15 years.. if i still had my S4 i would happily be still driving it without the "newer, shinier car" syndrome if it only had a few more things - those things are in the S5 (slick ipod integration, no turbos (they make me nervous in a long-term car), sat radio, full nav screen - i know this could all be added to the S4 but i cannot stand aftermarket components, i need it to all look like it rolled out of the factory like that) so i know that i'm not going to be jonesing for something else in 5 years.. now, if finances permit me to upgrade then, so be it, but i'm happy with this selection for a good section of the future..

currently i work from home doing network security consulting and in the morning my buddy and i hang out in bed for a half hour or so (sometimes longer if it's been a long night for daddy), go through our morning routine, go to school, and then around 5:30 mom comes in the door with my buddy who runs in to hug me and we usually go outside if it's nice and play until bedtime.. trust me there's nothing more important or anything that gets more time than my son right now.. i know it'll change in August (and then more in December when the second one gets more interesting) and i'm committed to that first and foremost.. i'm also very lucky in that i can work when i want to work and as long as i get what i need to get done done, everyone is happy..

that all being said, i think what i'm leaning towards is paying off the magnum and getting the S5 after that happens.. i'll sell the van to some poor sucker and throw that cash into the S5 fund, maybe to cover a few months of overlapping payment.. i'll ride out my allocation until june and then check to see where it is and maybe ask the dealership to push me down a little further.. they've got my grand, the least they can do is accommodate that since it doesn't inconvenience them at all, they still sell what they're selling.. i really appreciate all of your comments everyone, it's helped me sort through this tremendously.. every point of view is valuable to me, so please feel free to continue to contribute, since this isn't set in stone..

number2jcb: as fun as it would be to turn the Magnum into a straight-line monster, i've already got one of those and one is more than enough.. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
OK, here goes the reality check. I am a musician as well so looking form that perspective first.

Can you use the Q7 for gigs? If so, your good unless you are a drummer with a 15+ piece kit or a guitarist with 5 Bogner stacks (seems unlikely since the Magnum is sufficient). If those wheels are off limits, and you have anything bigger than a 2x12 cab, axe and accessories, the S5 is out.

From a money standpoint, if you have so many concerns, you're probably not ready to pull the trigger on the S5. I sure wouldn't want to be scraping by with a new little one coming into the world. Unless things are much more stable monitarily than you imply, stick to the Dodge for now, and enjoy that wonderful new baby with as little stress as possible. Sorry if I repeated anything others said, some of these posts are sooooo long I just couldn't get through them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks doc.. finances aren't that bad, i'm just being a little girl about it for some reason, i could just do it all but i was trying to stick to a budget and hoped that by laying it out here i'd be able to make better sense of it and at the same time solicit opinions on things i hadn't considered..

i play keys and usually gig with a leslie 142, an 88-key piano and a smaller synth for organ, stand, a rack full of mixers and effects, etc. etc. it's mostly small things that can pack into a limited space like the Magnum, which has pitiful headroom in the back due to the hot-rod slope at the rear.. the Magnum has so many battle scars on the interior plastic that i don't want to submit the Q7's shiny polished metal rail along the back of the trunk to my gear.. it's possible to gig with the Q7, i just wouldn't want to make a habit of it.. the S5 is out for the same reason, not so much due to space as i know it has gobs..

of course, i just had a job interview today that looks promising and will offer enough of a raise to cover the S5, so now things get complicated.. :) WHY DID I HAVE TO DRIVE THIS CAR?!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes the S5 does have a bit of space, the only problem is accessing that space. The angles that are created by a short trunk lid and its overall geometry make placing anything even remotely long fairly difficult. I would think 88 keys would make it in but not without damaging the car or your board. Since you obviously have alternatives, you should be OK. Since the finances aren't so bad, I would pay off the Dodge, then grab the S5. That way you can pack up the Magnum for gigs and still get the Audi that you are missing so much. Good luck with that baby:) (since he/she is much more important than anything else we have discussed here)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that was a complaint about my S4 also, it had a cavernous trunk but the curve of the backlight seemed to make the top of the trunk opening about 1" too small for just about everything i wanted to put in it..

oh well.. we'll see what happens between now and delivery, things change every day it seems..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny how things happen..

so my S5 is being made, due in mid-Oct and I was all set to take delivery.. finances were in order, it wasn't a problem, everything was on track.. then my wife gets a letter from the New York Football Giants letting her know that they'd finalized the seat licenses for the new stadium and if she wanted to keep her season tickets in a similar section, she'd have to come up with $20k..

per seat..

for 4 seats..

So.. anyone in the DC area want a Meteor/Magma S5 in a few months? :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.