Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Will you upgrade your S5 to the RS5?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've placed a deposit for one. Thrilled to be in something more at home with E92 M3s and C63s, but somewhat unsure if it's worth the leap just for more speed under a similar skin/look. If I don't jump on the RS5 bandwagon, I suppose I can just mod the hell out of the inbound R8.

But what are you other fellow S5 owners thinking? Upgrade or not?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I am sticking with the S5 as I doubt the performance gain will be enough over the S5 to justify the price increase. Especially with the way things are going with high end power machines.

That said, I do have an eye on the A7 as that may be exactly what I need in future.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I was already iffy about the S5 until I was able to get it at flat MSRP -- in the price range just above it, I like too many other cars that I want to try out to get a fancy version of a car I've already purchased, so I'll have to say no.... err.. unless it has a V10. Then I might change my answer. =P

-Ray

·
Registered
196 Posts
While I really like the Fridge (08 S5, Ibis White w? Tuscan Brown, 6 sp., loaded) I checked that I wanted an RS5. It is, of course, dependent on the new car--It must have at least 100 hp more than the S5 and have other features that justify laying out another $40-$50K. Quite honestly, the S5 is the nicest car I have ever owned but I love hp and I don't want to blow off the warranty with big time mods.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmmm - I'm already jealous of 09 owners with Drive Select, and I'm afraid that early delivery of an RS5 may bring similar disappointment.

As I've been told I can take delivery on a Nissan GT-R in about 12 months, I may go that route instead.

KH

·
Registered
225 Posts
will certainly look when it arrives, I am still finding this car not as aggressive as I like, coming out of a mapped B7 RS4 with a raised rev limiter and no speed limiter...

Have described the S5 as more 'executive fast' as opposed to 'boy racer fast'

The technology as moved on so much since I bought my 07 RS4 this car is so much better, so we will have to see about the RS5 I like the sound of 450 horses and even slicker technology:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Have described the S5 as more 'executive fast' as opposed to 'boy racer fast'
Can't change that without dropping at least 300-500 lbs and making the clutch feel more raw and unregulated. I occasionally drive my boss's 500hp E63 AMG, and ridden several times in a friend's E55 AMG, both of which still feel 'executive fast' and not as fun in terms of raw driver enjoyment as a 290hp Acura NSX.

The S5 is already 200 more lbs than the 3.2L A5. Unless they load the RS5 with aluminum and carbon fiber, it's going to be even heavier still, and having a big engine or a turbo system is just going to make it more front-heavy.

*shrug, hopefully the Audi engineers will prove me wrong, but it's looking like a recipe for more 'executive fast' to me!

-Ray

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll stick with my S5. I do agree with 55jwb...Car doesn't look as aggressive as I wanted it to be. I'll have to wait and see how much its worth and know exactly what kind of engine Audi is putting in. IMHO, making the Audi Coupe A5/S5 look aggressive is a hard task.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My S5 is good enough for me. I've waited for, wanted and kept my hopes up for my S5 for too long just to sell it again. Therefore, I am planning to never sell my S5 for as long as I don't have to. Had I the same choice before buying my S5, I would've certainly considered the RS. However, if I find the RS5 to be quite exceptional, I will be willing to make it a friendly companion to my S5 in my next favorite Audi color combo after Meteor/Magma- Black on Black :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Hmmm - I'm already jealous of 09 owners with Drive Select
I was to begin with but as those with Drive select cannot lower the car (at the moment) and coupled with the mods that have been done, I dont think its an issue any more.

Also, being an early adopter when the car was very rare on the road (it still is unusual but not as rare) made up for that.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i know im not a S5 owner but i was considering the RS5 but i think im going to go for a RS4 Cab :) i really miss the convertible and im not liking the A5 cab.... need the added grunt :p

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
in about a year im going to ditch the a5 and most likely go for a new m3 or the gt-r, i highly doubt the rs5 will be fast and looking at the s5 dyno sheets im sure it will be just as dissapointing. Audi needs to lose a lot of weight on their cars, the only way ill get the rs5 is if it traps at LEAST 116+ in the quarter than i may consider it or if it comes with forced induction stock but until than ill keep an eye out

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
i highly doubt the rs5 will be fast and looking at the s5 dyno sheets im sure it will be just as dissapointing.
Honestly I think Audi just has other priorities than pure performance. After paying off DeSilva for the beautiful design, Quattro for the driveline, and having pretty much the best interior grade in the entire industry, there's not budget left to go exotic on the motor or chassis materials without making the pricetag astronomical. They're banking on the fact that a lot of buyers share those priorities, and this forum and the demand for the A5/S5 in general are proof that they are correct to do so.

Any one of us in this forum could have had a Corvette instead, but we all laugh at that idea.

-Ray

·
Registered
53 Posts
Honestly I think Audi just has other priorities than pure performance. After paying off DeSilva for the beautiful design, Quattro for the driveline, and having pretty much the best interior grade in the entire industry, there's not budget left to go exotic on the motor or chassis materials without making the pricetag astronomical. They're banking on the fact that a lot of buyers share those priorities, and this forum and the demand for the A5/S5 in general are proof that they are correct to do so.

Any one of us in this forum could have had a Corvette instead, but we all laugh at that idea.

-Ray
Well said :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
For me, much depends on whether the much-fabled Alfa 159 GTA finally arrives in 2009 (or maybe '10.......) - with a rumoured (there's that word again) 400+ hp Maserati V8. That would seriously sway me.

Re. the Audis, I guess a question I asked myself was 'had the S5 and RS5 both been available at launch, would I have laid out the additional £20K or so for another 100hp and the cachet of owning the flagship model in the range?' Probably not. I can't claim to be a long-term Audi-phile and when we start getting into the £60K+ territory, there's too many other choices that would tempt me.

But then again, if I still have the S when the RS hits Britain's shores and I see/hear one in the flesh, it may be an entirely different matter......!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Firstly, I would be one of a few who will honestly admit that it will be unlikely for me to be able to afford the RS5 once it comes out, especially due to the fact that my S5 montly payments (which will most likely be a three year lease) will be substansialy subsidized by a more financially capable individual, and as my higher education has turned into a rollercoaster of frequent, long and random hospitilizations (each averaging a few weeks to a month) and multiple invasive surgeries (open lung surgery, jaw reconstruction surgery, ect.), I will likely be forced to take a few additional years than usual to enter the mainstream workforce and my planned career path. That being said, I became quite bored recovering from these operations/hospitilizations, as is with many successful people like you guys, laying around unable to attend classes/university or work away from home led me to find something to keep my mind busy, and so I started my own little at home business, which, although it has been doing quite well for me, I am the type of person to reinvest my profits back into the business, and not spend it willy nilly. But, since it definatly has the potiential to floursh in just a few short years (a friend of mine started a very similar business as I did, and with not much more original investment than I was able to procure, and in 4 years he is now probably a multi millionaire), I may come to a point soon in which I will be able to at least lease an RS5, but, even if that does happen, I honestly don't think most current and previous Audi RS models are worth what Audi charges for them. As you stated in your previous post, the RS5 will run with the new M3 and C63 AMG, and like those two cars, the RS5 is based on Audi's entry model, the B8 A4, but unlike those two cars, the RS5 will most likely be priced in the same range as a Porsche Carrera, which, after it's latest update, is much more desireable for me to own, not to mention that the 998 Carrera my be released shortly after the RS5 will come out, which would be even more desirable than the current facelifted 997 (and even if I must have AWD, the Carrera 4 won't be much more than the RS5 will most likely cost). And even if I decide that I want a GT car, I would still rather have, say, a Jag XKR, and with a good discount, something that I won't get on an RS5 for a few years, it becomes similarly priced. All that being said, I think that the RS5 will be a great niche market car, and if I simply fall in love with the S5 and Audi cars in general, I could see myself getting one over the previously mentioned cars, although I must say that if the rumored Audi R4 is anything like I expect it to be, then I would most likely get that over an RS5, especially if I find myself very attracted to the whole Audi/Quattro ownership and expirience!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jimmyz: I'm designing a "Cliff-Note-it Now" button for you even as we speak.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts