Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have been a member here for a few years and I am hoping I can get some support to get my petition to go live. The petition is to ask to reverse the decision to install average speed cameras on a road i use daily.

The reason I want to get this decision reversed is mainly due to the fact that they are being installed to gather revenue rather than cut accidents. The part of road they want to install them is not that bad compared to some other local roads. Sadly due to the fact this is a high volume road they are targeting it.

I contary to belief do support safe driving and the majority of accidents are not down to speed but to driver error / weather.

I also feel average speed cameras are dangerous as your constantly worrying about your speed and not giving you full attention to the road.

Thank you :)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/193575/sponsors/PM1mk4pe9W9OTiQhMVJa

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I wish there were those kinds of cameras on our local roads. Yes, it is also about additional revenue. However, they are there to remind people that they need to respect the posted speed limit. I do hate it when other drivers disrespect limits and just mash the pedal without paying attention to their speed. Those same drivers also end up tail-gating other cars who do follow the rule just to intimidate them in going faster.

If people want to drive faster speeds, it is best to take this up with the local traffic authority or Mayor that sets the speed limit. My suggestion is to file a petition to increase it instead of running after the camera. If you follow the rule, there is no need to fear the camera or the people who stand to make a revenue out of it. Besides, if no one is breaking the law, that camera won't be able to justify its existence and it will just be taken down and rendered ineffective.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Is there any evidence that average speed cameras cause more accidents...?

Otherwise I don't really understand what the issue is? Unless you don't think the speed limit should be 50MPH?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi all.

I have been a member here for a few years and I am hoping I can get some support to get my petition to go live. The petition is to ask to reverse the decision to install average speed cameras on a road i use daily.

The reason I want to get this decision reversed is mainly due to the fact that they are being installed to gather revenue rather than cut accidents. The part of road they want to install them is not that bad compared to some other local roads. Sadly due to the fact this is a high volume road they are targeting it.

I contary to belief do support safe driving and the majority of accidents are not down to speed but to driver error / weather.

I also feel average speed cameras are dangerous as your constantly worrying about your speed and not giving you full attention to the road.

Thank you :)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/193575/sponsors/PM1mk4pe9W9OTiQhMVJa

I completely disagree with this post and I think it's a little immature to believe cameras are only installed for revenue. Accidents may not always be caused by speed directly but when they happen at speed, it's catastrophic and usually fatal. Trust me, not a day goes by where I don't see a car and lives completely destroyed by the combination of lack of awareness and speed.

There is no better substitute in policing speed limits than an average speed camera, they are just starting to install them over here so let's see how they impact statistics. Currently more accidents are caused by tailgating at high speed and hard braking for flash speed cameras.

If you struggle to maintain an average speed and worry about how fast you're going, maybe you're going too fast?

·
Sponsor
2,279 Posts
Plus you get some sweet MPG at 50 with cruise control. Holding your accelerator in the same place or putting cruise control on is hardly distracting. At worse just match the speed of the people around you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts