Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :)

I was really hoping for some help please. Firstly, I need to admit I don’t know much about car mechanics and I may come across stupid with technical terms and not knowing as much as most, so I do apologise for my ignorance.

My car is an AUDI A5 S LINE – BLACK EDITION, 2.0 TDi CVT MULTITRONIC

TYPE: B8, Reg: Sept 2013
8TA OSH

I hope that is clear enough lol. Anyway about 600 miles ago which was around 2 months ago I was driving normally on the motorway and the dreaded check engine light came on and stayed on at a solid amber – I think its actually known as the emissions warning light which it states in the vehicles manual?

There was no difference in performance or power and no other warnings came up. The light has stayed on and I got my cousin to plug in and check for the code which read – P2196 – Oxygen (Labda) Sensor B1 S1 – Signal too high (rich)

Anyway after driving normally recently the light went off itself, but then a few days later it came back on, then again it went back off, and now recently its come back on again. I know this is bank 1 and is before the Cat or something like that right?

Anyway, I went to my local independent and they have said it appears from the code coming up that it will need replacing and said the price just for the sensor is £125?? Is this right as I looked online and there were some Bosch ones for like 60 quid?? Also, they said labour is around £68 per hour which includes VAT and the job may take 45 mins if it’s a simple unscrewing etc, but if it ends up being more tricky (which he did say some technical terms as to why it may take longer) – than it would be like an hour and a half?? Anyway, overall including the £120 part they are saying the whole thing will cost me like £220??

Am I being ripped off or is this correct would you say? I am not sure how to get the part number but the guy did show me where it is, and I have attached photos of where he said the sensor is.

Please could anyone help me and give me some simple advice which I can understand lol, shall I just pay up and hope the light doesn’t come back on and it gets fixed from being changed?

Thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wouldn't say you are being ripped off. It sounds like what most auto repair shops would do. You will always pay marked up part prices through a repair shop. You can always get the part cheaper yourself. I wouldn't say they are over charging you labor cost either.

Of course, if you are sure it is the sensor, and you think it is easy to get to, you could always replace it yourself as well for just the cost of the sensor.

Did they actually hook the car up to look at codes / data? or did they just go by the code you gave them ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply! No he plugged it in to VCS or something on his laptop and said it was the s1 b1 sensor. He didnt suggest any other workarounds for it except replacing it? The thing is, I would replace it if I knew how to, but I know I would probably just mess it up as I have never done any car repairing things before. I know I should have but i havent.

Do you know the exact part I would need online cheaper by any chance? I dont know what the part number etc is though, just that it is the S1 B1 Oxygen sensor

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
548 Posts
Need more info here -- take a picture of the vehicle information sticker affixed to the body under the boot floor and post it here -- need to see the engine code and PR options.

Your local indy tech used VCDS to read the fault codes from the ECU. The VAG electronic catalogue lists multiple part numbers for this oxygen sensor:
8R0906262 (7MG, 7MJ)
03L906262Q (7MM)
059906262Q
04L906262B
Which one depends on the specific engine and build code 7MG/7MJ or 7MM.
Say it's 03L906262Q; in the U.S., the dealer list price is 106 USD, which is the price a dealer or indy shop will charge to replace. If you work with an independent VAG shop, they will often use your part, but won't warrantee the repair and charge a higher labour rate.
In any case, £220 is reasonable to R&R this sensor, IMO. Failure to replace the sensor will affect emissions performance adversely. If your MOT does emissions testing, this will likely cause a fail at your next test. --g

·
Registered
277 Posts
Regardless of the price breakdown, just to set expectations, these cars are generally expensive to maintain and £220 seems ok. To put it into perspective, if you went to an audi dealer they would probably charge £50 just to plug in the code reader and to pull the codes :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like an O2 sensor problem from the information you've posted. That repair number quoted sounds reasonable. When it happened to me on an S8 that I had, I bought the O2 tool (you need a special socket) and did it myself. it's hard to get to on that car but not an hours worth of labor. That's generally the minimum they charge. I have 2013 A5 but mine's Quattro and the O2 sensors are readily visible from the engine bay. I think the CVT is transverse FWD only if I'm not mistaken so the O2 sensors could be buried on that one.

On a side note, I agree with the previous poster on this thread. These cars are expensive to maintain and I wouldn't ignore check engine lights or oil lights etc. Case in point, I just bought the 2013 A5 Cab with 38k miles on it. Previous owner took it in with oil light on, shop did a shoddy gasket repair, and 2 months later the motor spun a bearing. The motors are finicky as hell if not taken care of properly.

As one of my audi independent mechanics used to say, "If you don't want to spend money on car maintenance, buy a Honda"

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Or a Toyota lol....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts