Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Playing DVD's?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  TuffLittleUnit 
#1 ·
Hi,

Will the pro sat-nav system allow you to play DVD movies through it or does it need 'unlocking' or something?

Thanks

#6 ·
Hi

Does anyone know if the Dietz mod works also on the A5?
I'm assuming the A5 navi is based on RNS-E[/

The A5 Nav system is based on MMI (Multi Media Interface) High which is different from the older RNS-E system. There is loads of info on both these systems available here

#7 ·
AFAIA, you cannot use the DVD in the nav to watch DVDs. You need a DVD player installed onto one of the two AUX ports. There is no "source" on the MMI linking to the nav dvd.

#9 ·
I'm pretty certain you will not be able to pop a copy of Spiderman 3 into your Audi satnav slot and have it play on your MMI screen, you're going to need additional hardware.

I'm no expert but the first thing to be aware of here is that DVD has different uses. Satnav will use a DVD-ROM data format and hence the Audi sat nav system will be designed to read that data, plan routes and render maps etc on the screen.

Video DVDs i.e. films use the same basic DVD discs but use it to store video/audio data in MPEG format*. These MPEG files need decoders to be able to take the data and render it into images/audio not to mention some way of handling the encryption used for DRM, menu structures etc. Generally this is achieved by dedicated hardware (i.e. microchips in your DVD player rather than embedded software).

*Anyone who has ever tried ripping a video DVD (naughty!) will know it's actually a little more complex than this with the video/audio stream being held in VOB containers etc but it'll suffice for now

My guess is that you'll need an external device to do this i.e. some form of portable DVD player to decode the video from the DVD disk and pass the audio and video streams to the MMI display.

As Doubledoom says, you then need some way of hooking up the portable DVD player into the MMI display. So, what you're really trying to achieve is to get your MMI to act as a mini LCD panel rather than as a DVD player.

Again, I'll stress I'm no expert in this field and there may be some inaccuracies in my comments but I think the basic principles are correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.