Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Are you looking for a close-up like this of the exhaust tips? Or something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would choose ± 160x90cm oval exhaust tips for the S5.

Jarod.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah, I figured that was probably the case after I thought about it. Sorry, not able to help you out there. Hopefully some of the guys on here (e.g., Quattrings) who've installed aftermarket exhausts might have some "before" shots to post for you.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that'll be great thanks.
I have not found any S5 exhaust pictures at all anywhere.
Also would like some RS4 pictures as I'm going to put a custom Rs4 type system on my S5 (at least look a like)

Tonny

·
Registered
318 Posts
Here you are Tonny. (Sorry for the wait - I forgot my PWD and am on AW more frequently)

Factory Setup

For Comparison Pre-X-Pipe

Does anyone have a picture of the S5 exhaust?

Tonny

·
Registered
483 Posts
Here you are Tonny. (Sorry for the wait - I forgot my PWD and am on AW more frequently)

Factory Setup
For Comparison Pre-X-Pipe
sorry for asking a dumb question.. but which is the front end of the car and which is the rear?:confused:

i am guessing right is front?

·
Registered
318 Posts
You're correct. Right side is toward the engine and quad cats. (2 visible)

sorry for asking a dumb question.. but which is the front end of the car and which is the rear?:confused:

i am guessing right is front?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Quattrings

The removed part, i presume it's a demper. ?
Is the removed part responcible for the noise increase, or is there more to it.

Jarod.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's the center resonator. In the pic, you're seeing it before the system was complete and the X-Pipe was installed (same location). At normal driving, it is slightly deeper and throatier than factory but getting on it, changes it to something much more aggressive. I have a video link below if you want to hear the sounds. The videos don't do it justice though IMO.

Some of my S5 Sounds

Some of my S5 Sounds Part II

Quattrings

The removed part, i presume it's a demper. ?
Is the removed part responcible for the noise increase, or is there more to it.

Jarod.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I hope my Milltek sounds half as good as that!!

Very, very sweet man.....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quattrings, that sounded amazing... what would I need to buy to mimic your setup (as far as the exhaust is concerned).

Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome Quattrings, Car sounds awesome and nice pictures to, Thanks
Did you keep the stock mufflers or did you replace them?
Tonny

·
Registered
318 Posts
Jimmyz: If you can - the first thing you'll want to find is a shop that has mandrel bending machines on site. There are some places that can weld bits of mandrel-bent elbows and bends together, but it ends up having many multiple connection points at each weld if the entire system is done that way. Probably not the best setup for performance as it is likely to disrupt the exhaust airflow somewhat from the many gaps and breaks, even if it is better than the more common tube bender. Go for a nice straight through exhaust muffler. I went full stainless steel for longevity on the complete system and installed an X-Pipe which Magnaflow manufactures. It's not expensive and actually reduces the sound levels that a non-resonated, muffler only system would have. I heard the system before the X-Pipe, and it was loud with many pops (common to non-res systems), but with the X-Pipe, it's completely livable, sounds tuned, and with no drone. Based on the many RS4 exhausts that I heard on Youtube, I decided to go with two 2.5" Magnaflow Stainless Steel mufflers with an offset entry point. the tubing is all 2.5" mandrel bent from the rear catalytic converters to the rear quad tips. There aren't many places that have the equipment to produce mandrel bent tubing but if you are going to go custom, it's the only way to go. A system like this won't save you a ton over a Milltek (probably 2 -300 USD) but it allows you to get the features/sound you like in an exhaust. Good luck!

Quattrings, that sounded amazing... what would I need to buy to mimic your setup (as far as the exhaust is concerned).

Thanks

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Thanks Quatt. That's great! Fantastic sound even on the video. I'm getting a Milltek fitted this Friday and I hope to take my laptop with me and some recording equipment and get accurate high-quality before and after comparisons using 'reference' kit. I will try to post them here, or sync 'merge' them with a video. Obviously the final sound will depend on your computer's sound, but either way the recording of the two will be comparable.

Appreciate the write-up, vid and pics.

Ian.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts