Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
For anyone planning to get the windows tinted on their A5/S5, make sure you tell the installer to cover the electronics in the rear quarter panel area to prevent water from causing damage to them.
Dose anyone know ware exactly the electronics are located? because I going to get my windows tinted this weekend and i want to be able to show the guy ware he needs to be very careful... Thanks for any help

·
Registered
479 Posts
Azadian22, it's in the driver side compartment in the trunk, open it up and you will see - shove a bunch of towels in there to prevent those things from getting wet.

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
No, that's Quartz Grey. Go to "Members cars" section, I have more photos there.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Here in the UK you can get pulled over by the fuzz and fined. I got pulled over in my S3; they conducted a light transmission test by the roadside. I had less than 30% light transmission with the light smoke tint i had fitted. Got told to remove the tint asap and a £40 fine. Not worth the risk IMO as it becomes a safety issue with potential risks such as your insurance being void.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most states in the U.S. 35% is the legal limit. Some southern states darker is legal and it is permissable to even tint your windshield. In CA you cannot tint the front drivers and passengers side windows.

You can get by without getting stopped up to about 20% in MA but any darker and you will prob be stopped a lot, but more so in Sh*tbox cars than newer nice ones. The fine in MA for excessive tint is $250.00, but if you piss off the cop that fine could be accessed individually for each window thats covered. It's also hard becuase they check for tints during yearly vehicle emissions and saftey inspections. So they could reject you car when you go for a new inspection sticker.

I've had tinted windows ranging from legal to about 13% on every car I've owned. Not just because I love the look of it, but it also helps with heat in the summer, fading from the sun, and to keep prying eyes of people who are looking for a reason to break into your car (a huge problem here right now) from seeing inside your car.

Also if you look closley at almost any car add on tv or in magazines the windows are usually tinted very dark.

Not sure how dark I'm going with my S5 (right now leaning towards 20%), but they will deff be tinted. It's all Personal preference i guess.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ShadyJC thanks for the help

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's why I tinted:

This Audi advert appeared in a number of magazines over the past year. It caught my attention and left me in no doubt concerning tinting my A5 S-line

Attachments

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
35% tint all around

Here's metalevon's Suzuka Gray S5 with 35% tint all around...

·
Registered
702 Posts
For tints in the UK: I've used Auto Asylum in Maidenhead in the past - they know the legal limits and can tint the front side windows to a) keep the car legal and b) stop it looking like a van by only tinting from the B-Pillar Back ( I hate that look!) . I've had 2 x A6 Avants done by them (appreciate that this was a very different car!) and am thinking of having the A5 done when it's delivered. Will keep you updated / post pictures...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes, I know that I was warned but...

Haven't found where anyone has posted pics of their A5/S5 with tinted windows, so I thought I'd take the liberty of posting some that I have. I snapped pics of the white S5 at a dealer. The black "debadged" A5 is a pic I had previously run across and kept.

WARNING: If you plan to get your windows tinted, be sure to read this!
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/pics-s5-a5s-443/index.html?p=15271

I had my A5 tinted in the UK last week and now have no amp...
:thumbsdown:
I had printed off all of the warnings on this site and discussed it with the guy who does my tinting (he also does all the work for a local Audi dealer). As per other threads, the amp design is a bit bl**dy daft with the cooling fan on the top face / facing up. The tinter had covered all of the electrics with waterproof plastic and soak up clothes. All was well at the end of the job. He then removed all of the protection and drove the car out of the workshop. Next time he turned it on, the amp was dead. I therefore suspect that water had pooled somewhere and only dripped down as a result of moving the car. Therefore, I'd suggest that you keep the amp covered, take the car for a spin and only then remove the protective covering.

Good news is that the company that did the tinting had already confirmed that they have indemnity insurance and would cover any costs. However, Audi have today replaced the amp under warranty - all's well that ends well!

Here's the finished article:

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
So is there any final word on how to protect the amp/electronics while getting your windows tinted? I met up with the tint guy last week and he told me to cover it before I came... I'm going in tomorrow and would LOVE to avoid frying my electronics!

Any suggestions besides just putting a bag over the amp? He said he places a towel down over the speakers on the back deck, but he says they don't use THAT much water where it ends up soaked. He says it just gets a little damp.... They do great work at this place. I've brought my last three cars, as well as several family and friend's cars here. Never had a problem, but this seems to be a different scenario than most people deal with when tinting their cars.

·
Registered
702 Posts
So is there any final word on how to protect the amp/electronics while getting your windows tinted? I met up with the tint guy last week and he told me to cover it before I came... I'm going in tomorrow and would LOVE to avoid frying my electronics!

Any suggestions besides just putting a bag over the amp? He said he places a towel down over the speakers on the back deck, but he says they don't use THAT much water where it ends up soaked. He says it just gets a little damp.... They do great work at this place. I've brought my last three cars, as well as several family and friend's cars here. Never had a problem, but this seems to be a different scenario than most people deal with when tinting their cars.
Personally, I'd recommend covering the amp with a bag, then taking the car for a spin after the tinting is finished to allow any water that's trapped in the bulkhead to drip through and only then remove the bag. Alternatively, you could take the amp out during the tinting and refit it after?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of A5/S5's with titanium tint? I'm thinking about adding tint to my car but I'm afraid the titanium may interfere with my NAV. My A5 is Black over Cinnamon, do you guys have any recommendations which tint to go with? Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is mine after tinting
what % are the tints? I have the phantom black as well. At the bottom of your response you have your car and all the packages. Do you set that up in account settings or type it every time?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Personally, I'd recommend covering the amp with a bag, then taking the car for a spin after the tinting is finished to allow any water that's trapped in the bulkhead to drip through and only then remove the bag. Alternatively, you could take the amp out during the tinting and refit it after?
where is the amp? My door speakers arent working, not from tinting, but maybe the amp is fried?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Apparently, parliament in Cyprus will be passing a law to forbid tinting of front windows!
Something about crime prevention...safety ...blah blah...!

41 - 60 of 67 Posts