Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just joined your forum after reading for about 6-8 months.
I have learned so much from everyone, thanks for the info. I will be ordering
my new U.S. spec S5 very soon and can't decide on a few things.....

Exterior paint: I think I will go with custom paint $2500 ( Aston or Bentley color )

Interior: I want to go with the stainless steel inlays with piano black center console. How does the piano black hold up? Does it scratch easily?

Seats: I want to go with black alcantara on black leather. How is it holding up for those of you that have this combo? Any regrets? Audi's website says the 09 model comes with perforated alcantara. Does anyone have pics of perforated alcantara?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
? Have you only been reading for 6-8 months? Must be awfully young to be buying an S5!!!

Seriously welcome hope you enjoy an S5.

I personally wouldn't bother with Custom colours especially as there are such good 'standard' ones.

Piano Black... had this (only once) in an A4 Cab with Black leather, bit dull IMHO, stainless or carbon far nicer.

Seats - Alcantara, had this too (only once also). We prefer 100% leather. Alcantara soaks up perspiration and can get smelly, I suppose with perforations this may be slightly better...

IMHO Piano Black X
Alcantara X

But of course weach to their own...

Cheers

RG

Hope the reading progresses well ;-)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Seats: I want to go with black alcantara on black leather. How is it holding up for those of you that have this combo? Any regrets? Audi's website says the 09 model comes with perforated alcantara. Does anyone have pics of perforated alcantara?
Welcome to the forum!

Regarding the Alcantara, did you try using the Advanced Search feature? If you use 'alcantara' as your keyword and search by thread title only, you will find a few threads that discuss how it holds up.

I located one photo of the seats in this thread. There are others around if you do some searching.

BTW, I didn't realize the Alcantara seats on the S5 were perforated. I thought that was only on the S-line. From the photos I've seen (perhaps not '09 models), the S5 Alcantara seats don't appear to be perforated, whereas the A5 S-line seats do.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Interesting to see the Alcantara photos, brought back bad memories I'm afraid. They can look OK but nothing like Valcona/Nappa Leather.

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
491 Posts
i dont think you would be able to get an ASton color. i think its just limited to the audi/vw family.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pics TX. That is helpful. Any thoughts on the piano black? Scratches?
I like the textured stainless on the doors.

As for the custom paint color. I called several dealers in my area and got a different answer every time. Some said you can use any color and other said only audi colors.

I finally went straight to the source........ Audi of America / Audi Exclusive office.
They said the would do any color with two limitations. First, it must be a water based paint. Second, can't be a Lamborghini color. Other than that they said no problem.
I mentioned Porsche, Jag, Bentley and Aston and they said.......yes as long as it's water based.

Did some research on Aston's paint and they use a water based formula from PPG.
So I hope my order will go thru.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Thanks for the pics TX. That is helpful. Any thoughts on the piano black? Scratches?
You're welcome. Sorry, but I don't have any input on the susceptibility to scratches. I do think that finish works well, though, for the center console when you have the stainless inlays on the doors.

In case you haven't seen any decent photos of the stainless, I attached one I found in my photo archive. And you can see close-up photos of the inlays here.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts

As for the custom paint color. I called several dealers in my area and got a different answer every time. Some said you can use any color and other said only audi colors.

I finally went straight to the source........ Audi of America / Audi Exclusive office.
They said the would do any color with two limitations. First, it must be a water based paint. Second, can't be a Lamborghini color. Other than that they said no problem.
I mentioned Porsche, Jag, Bentley and Aston and they said.......yes as long as it's water based.

Did some research on Aston's paint and they use a water based formula from PPG.
So I hope my order will go thru.
interesting they would let you choose an aston color but not a lambo color which is part of the vw family

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm considering the same combination and have the same dilemma: full leather or blk leather/blk alcantara. The Alcantara looks a little exotic to me [but I'm not an advanced car connoisseur and it might be a more mundande material than I realize.] I do like the varied textures of piano black, leather black and alcantara black to add interest to the color monotony. I noticed the A5 S-line has Alcantara door inserts but I don't think I saw door inserts on the S5 Alcantara. I'd prefer that the S5 doors did have Alcantara inserts. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, as noted elsewhere the A5 S-line Alcantara is perforated and the S5 Alcantara is not.

From what I've read the Alcantara wears well.

I've sat in both and had the impression the leather seats were softer feeling/more cushion.

I also have the same question of whether the piano black scratches easily or not.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'd prefer that the S5 doors did have Alcantara inserts. Can anyone confirm this?
Forum member S+S=5 should be able to confirm that. Photos of the Alcantara rear seats were just posted here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm considering the same combination and have the same dilemma: full leather or blk leather/blk alcantara. The Alcantara looks a little exotic to me [but I'm not an advanced car connoisseur and it might be a more mundande material than I realize.] I do like the varied textures of piano black, leather black and alcantara black to add interest to the color monotony. I noticed the A5 S-line has Alcantara door inserts but I don't think I saw door inserts on the S5 Alcantara. I'd prefer that the S5 doors did have Alcantara inserts. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, as noted elsewhere the A5 S-line Alcantara is perforated and the S5 Alcantara is not.

From what I've read the Alcantara wears well.

I've sat in both and had the impression the leather seats were softer feeling/more cushion.

I also have the same question of whether the piano black scratches easily or not.
I debated long and hard over the decision of straight-up black leather versus the black leather on black Alcantara inserts. I have had the chance to see both in person, and decided to go with the inserts. During the 3 months of waiting for my car, this decision was the only one that I was unsure about, but now that I have the finished product, I couldn't be happier. The inserts give the seats a really nice feel, still maintain the classy look that defines the S5, but gives the car a little more edge and reminds me that I'm driving a luxury sportscar.

As for the doors, I can confirm that they do not have Alcantara within the door panels. The material is actually very similar to the dash and looks fantastic. Good luck with your choice!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I debated long and hard over the decision of straight-up black leather versus the black leather on black Alcantara inserts. I have had the chance to see both in person, and decided to go with the inserts. During the 3 months of waiting for my car, this decision was the only one that I was unsure about, but now that I have the finished product, I couldn't be happier. The inserts give the seats a really nice feel, still maintain the classy look that defines the S5, but gives the car a little more edge and reminds me that I'm driving a luxury sportscar.

As for the doors, I can confirm that they do not have Alcantara within the door panels. The material is actually very similar to the dash and looks fantastic. Good luck with your choice!
Thanks for the answer! I am with you on your thoughts on the Alcantara. I'm leaning towards it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hope these pictures of black alcantara inserts, stainless steel trim, and piano black console help. I really like the alcantara for grip and comfort, plus it looks sportier than all leather. I also like the piano black and stainless because they lend a touch of sophistication to the cabin. The piano black shows fingerprints and dust (just like the black paint on the body). It's a love-hate deal, love the look, hate the care.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts