Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found phantom black color isn't all that compared to the brilliant black. I hope I did not make a bad choice. Anyone got pics of the two colors to compare them? To me the phantom black seemed better on the main site until I saw one owner's car with the Phantom black and thought...Ouch!!! :( Maybe it's the lightening but I just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
????? what problem did you have with the colour?.......brilliant is more rich/jet/black...while phantom has metallic through it....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just that looking in one pic of the Phantom black it looked to be a kinda brownish tinted color. Again. it could have been the reflection or lightening but I just thought it looked weird. I guess everyone sees things a little different my friend ;)

I'll see when I finally get mine.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Tiking,

I kind of get where you're coming from - Brilliant Black looks great on a new car, and from a distance there's probably little in it between that and the Phantom Black.

I debated for some time whether I would be happy with the Brilliant Black (and save myself £600 to boot!), but my mind was made up when I saw an A4 in Brilliant Black next to a Phantom Black one on a nice sunny day. They were both on the dealer's forecourt as second hand, but were obviously nice and shiny. The Phantom Black was much nicer and the metallic flakes in it really set it apart from the solid colour.

I also suspect it might wear better as the metallic is obviously a 2-layer paint with a clear lacquer over the metallic part, whereas the solid paint has the colour in the top layer of the paint. Metallic is more expensive if you need to touch up or repair/replace any panels though...

I'm also getting the Autoglym paint protection treatment done as I had a similar product (A-Glaze) on my old S4 and I never had to polish it - the water beaded on the surface after just a quick wash, and I often left bird droppings on the paint for some time with no ill-effect to the surface of the paint. All this after 53k miles and 4+1/2 years and the car came up like new after a wash!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I like Phantom myself, and it is more durable due to the clearcoat as well :)

Looks great in the sun :)

Scratch, you know you can buy Autoglym very cheap on ebay and do it yourself? If the dealer is charging you hundreds for it, its well worth checking out - its one of the things dealers use to bump up margins :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for making me feel at ease scratch. :) I guess I'll be happy when I finally get to see it in person. :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
From all accounts, Brilliant Black looks stunning when its clean. However, Phantom Black will look better after a few days when a little dirt starts to appear.

That said, if both cars were clean you wouldnt find many that could tell them apart unless they were right next to each other (or they are in the know).

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Phantom Black is a paint that will be "looked at" because of the flakes and wonderful shades it emits. People take a close look at the paint all the time..

The brilliant black is much more glossy and noticeable, but won't cause people to "look at" the paint texture because it's merely an everyday shiny black.

The brilliant black looks more stunning than Phantom from a distance however....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great feedback folks. i appreciate it. :) Makes me even more excited now :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Scratch, you know you can buy Autoglym very cheap on ebay and do it yourself? If the dealer is charging you hundreds for it, its well worth checking out - its one of the things dealers use to bump up margins :)
AidenL,
Thanks, I didn't know you could get this as it's a trade-only item on the Autoglym website. Seems pretty cheap compared to a dealer, although not sure some of the ones listed on eBay are exactly the same. Prices vary from around £10 for what looks like a basic kit up to £75 for the kit as shown on the Autoglym website.

Not sure whether doing it myself will include the 4 year paint warranty you get through a dealer - I guess that's partly what you're paying for if you get it done professionally. A sort of paint insurance if you like. I'll have a think about it though...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would rather get it done professionally. It might cost more but you will be glad if something doesn't go right when doing itself. also you get the warranty. A big plus :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm not sure what a paint warranty is worth though - I'd imagine paint defects are covered under manufacturers warranty anyway :)

Many folk say a good three stage treatment with Meguiars or Swissvax is WAY ahead of the Autoglym treatment anyway - dealers do push this, as its a handy way for them to make money - and you can bet your life it will be applied by a trainee apprentice out the back on minimum wage anyway ;)

I know who I'd prefer polishing my new car - me ! :D

The ebay stuff is exactly the same as the dealer uses - don't believe anything else they might say to you ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for hose links. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Glad to help :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Consensus seems to be that the Autoglym product isn't very good. I have to say I thought the A-Glaze my Audi dealer applied to my S4 was excellent, and even though they threw it in for free, I would have paid for it on my A5 if they still did it. Sadly they've changed to Autoglym.

I've been looking around and can't seem to find anyone who does the A-Glaze anywhere, however found a company called Permagard who will come to you. Don't know how expensive it is - does anyone have any experience of them? Good product?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Tiking,

Sorry - I seem to have hijacked your thread! Think I'll re-post this as a new thread to see if I get much response.

Apologies!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No problem ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Phantom Black is a paint that will be "looked at" because of the flakes and wonderful shades it emits. People take a close look at the paint all the time..

The brilliant black is much more glossy and noticeable, but won't cause people to "look at" the paint texture because it's merely an everyday shiny black.

The brilliant black looks more stunning than Phantom from a distance however....
Oh dear, that's confused me. If I go for an A5, I was going to go for the Phantom Black, but then you go and say that Brilliant Black looks better and somebody else said that Brilliant & Phantom are difficult to tell apart by the unknowing eye.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Oh dear, that's confused me. If I go for an A5, I was going to go for the Phantom Black, but then you go and say that Brilliant Black looks better and somebody else said that Brilliant & Phantom are difficult to tell apart by the unknowing eye.
Not confusing at all.

The Brilliant is more shiny and glossy where the Phantom has more texture to it. An untraind eye can tell the difference up close; the issue is from a distance.

You have to see both side by side to understand I guess.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts