Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Phantom or Brilliant?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who has one or the other?

Any regrets going for one or the other?

I have Phantom on the TT, and sure when its sunny, the metallic flecks show up nicely, but when its dull, or the car is dirty, the difference isn't as obvious.......just wondering do you feel Phantom is worth the extra dosh?

This is an age old debate I think on most car forums....... :eek:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm definitely a bigger fan of Phantom, it's on the old man's S8. Although when dirty (happens A LOT) you can't really tell the difference, those few hours it's clean after being washed are well worth it :D

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think PeteA5 and House both have Brilliant Black on order versus Phantom Black.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm definitely a bigger fan of Phantom, it's on the old man's S8. Although when dirty (happens A LOT) you can't really tell the difference, those few hours it's clean after being washed are well worth it :D
It is nice when its clean :cool:

But it rains a lot in Ireland :eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I think PeteA5 and House both have Brilliant Black on order versus Phantom Black.

Correct, but I'm cheating a bit in my voting (which I'm simply jibing with my order). We have no choice in the U.S. if we buy an A5 (S-Line or not). BB is the only black available. That said, they both have their pluses and minuses.

Funny how some people see the sunshine effect on Phantom as a plus, and others see it as a negative (complaining of turning it grey, basically).

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Problem I have with the brilliant black is that it is so unforgiving with dirt, road grime or just water marks... PB can shine a little through the dirt courtesy of it's metallic paint. BB shines from the surface, with only depth of tone coming from within the paint (or lustre you might like to say). I learned this with dark blue Audis, which is why my last one was the ming blue pearlescent, which was soooo much better than the non metallic I had before.

But... once newly cleaned, the BB does look 'bottomless' and absolutely awesome.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big lead for Phantom so far ! :eek:

I think you like black Ian ?;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Correct, but I'm cheating a bit in my voting (which I'm simply jibing with my order). We have no choice in the U.S. if we buy an A5 (S-Line or not). BB is the only black available. That said, they both have their pluses and minuses.

Funny how some people see the sunshine effect on Phantom as a plus, and others see it as a negative (complaining of turning it grey, basically).
As I see it, a brilliant black S-Line A5 has at least the following two major minuses, as compared to a phantom black S5 (these are not listed in order of importance):

(i) the A5 will be lacking the way cool metallic shimmer that makes phantom black look much nicer, IMHO, than the brilliant black; and

(ii) the A5 will also be missing the engine, drivetrain and suspension that make the S5 so special. (Not that the A5 isn't special, but there's special and SPECIAL.)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

We have both, A4 (brilliant black - 6 years old) and TT (pahntom black - 6 months old) and "turning it grey" in the sun really annoyz me with the phantom black - black should be black, not greyish black IMO.

When both cars are standing next to each other the brilliant black just looks soooo much deeper than the phantom black. I know this first hand as I washed both and waxed both cars with the same stuff and thus have had the best comparison on both blacks.

The only downside to brilliant black is that the paint is very soft and scratches and swirls easily - but if you wash and wax it properly this isn't a problem.

For me i will always take brilliant black over phantom black and i'm sure others on here have the exact opposite opinion. Wouldn't it be boring if everyone liked the same thing :)

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
As I see it, a brilliant black S-Line A5 has at least the following two major minuses, as compared to a phantom black S5 (these are not listed in order of importance):

(i) the A5 will be lacking the way cool metallic shimmer that makes phantom black look much nicer, IMHO, than the brilliant black; and

(ii) the A5 will also be missing the engine, drivetrain and suspension that make the S5 so special. (Not that the A5 isn't special, but there's special and SPECIAL.)
Use your blinker before you take a sharp thread turn like that ;)
Or were you mistaking my statement about pluses and minuses? I meant as between the colors, not the models.

Nonetheless, as for your minuses: (i) yes, that is a matter of opinion as you see from SAJ's comments; and (ii) I'm in that group who could afford either of these models but chose the V6 model because I cannot justify such heavy fossil fuel usage in this day and age (not that I'm judging anyone else's decision in that regard) and I don't intend to drive on a track or drag race at lights. ;) Now, the engine differences are obvious, but what do you mean about the drivetrain (not even sure to what that specifically refers, to be honest - thought it meant engine plus transmission) and suspension are different. How so (for my own edification)?

We have both, A4 (brilliant black - 6 years old) and TT (pahntom black - 6 months old) and "turning it grey" in the sun really annoyz me with the phantom black - black should be black, not greyish black IMO.

When both cars are standing next to each other the brilliant black just looks soooo much deeper than the phantom black. I know this first hand as I washed both and waxed both cars with the same stuff and thus have had the best comparison on both blacks.

The only downside to brilliant black is that the paint is very soft and scratches and swirls easily - but if you wash and wax it properly this isn't a problem.

For me i will always take brilliant black over phantom black and i'm sure others on here have the exact opposite opinion. Wouldn't it be boring if everyone liked the same thing :)

Now THAT's what I call an authoritative opinion!

·
Registered
94 Posts
SAJ_1982: you've told me what I wanted to hear! I've ordered Brilliant Black on the strength of what a BB Q7 looked like in the showroom. As to which is better I guess that's in the eye in the beholder.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Phantom black looks grey? Phantom black looks "Phantom Black" i.e. it has a sparkling metallic look that does change a bit from different angles and different light--hence "Phantom" and that is what makes it so special. Put a coat of Swissvax on it and it is hard to beat. And what is this IMHO stuff--nobody on here is all that humble.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmmmm... I have a Brilliant Black S5 and I'm afraid (at least here in the midwest winter) I rather wish I had the Phantom. Mine doesn't look clean for 30 seconds if I drive it which, of course, I do all the time. That said, the Brilliant is a beautiful deep color and it is true that under certain lighting conditions the Phantom doesn't look so black.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
is there a very noticeable difference between the brilliant and the phantoum or however you spell it? is the phantoum worth the extra money?
To be honest, its really up to what you prefer the look of most. As you can see from the posts some people prefer phantom and some prefer brilliant. I suggest you check both colours out first in real light and not pictures as pictures just make it difficult to tell.

The other thing is, regardless of which one you choose its going to look good.

I guess when we have a couple of meets people can compare first hand. So just remember all those that have black and come to an A5OC meet...WASH n WAX ur motor first. :D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Big lead for Phantom so far ! :eek:

I think you like black Ian ?;)
... Well in for a penny, in for a pound!!

Actually, I always spec the black seats and carpets because I am terrified of hideous two tone dashes and IMHO plastic looks cheap in any other colour... as for the black headlining, I thought "what the hell" let's go the whole hog!

Black B&O and Black Parking assist were special factory orders. ;)

As for the thread... Seems balanced to me!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.