Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The detailer spent roughly six hours on the vehicle removing all swirls and making the finish look better than when I took delivery. I wish the deep shine showed up better in pics. Looks like Brilliant Black with a Phantom effect now....:D

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
That's so damn shiny that I think I can see myself in your hood from here ;)
Nice job! Did you apply anything as a long term protectant/sealant to avoid swirls, etc. in the future? I'd really like to get something on my brilliant black as quickly as possible when I take delivery.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks awesome, wish I could find a detailer around here that's heard of Zaino.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
That looks really good!! I'm sure the pics don't do the car's shine justice. And yeah, it could easily pass for Brilliant Black based upon those pics.

·
Registered
314 Posts
GOD, that looks great!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice job! Did you apply anything as a long term protectant/sealant to avoid swirls, etc. in the future? I'd really like to get something on my brilliant black as quickly as possible when I take delivery.
Yes, he sealed it with a Menzerna seal. Should be good with just washings for 6 months or so.

The dealership means well, but they swirled up the car by giving me one of their free details....never again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Brian, I'm Josh the one who polished your S5.

Your car really turned out great, I was real pleased with it afterwards, I just wish it wasn't so overcast that day, the pics just really don't do the car justice.

The process on the exterior was basically, wash with two bucket method, then claybared, then polished out with Menzerna Intensive Polish and the rotary buffer two times to remove all the swirls. After that I went over it with the Zaino sealant to protect it. :cool:

Josh

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian, I'm Josh the one who polished your S5.

Your car really turned out great, I was real pleased with it afterwards, I just wish it wasn't so overcast that day, the pics just really don't do the car justice.

The process on the exterior was basically, wash with two bucket method, then claybared, then polished out with Menzerna Intensive Polish and the rotary buffer two times to remove all the swirls. After that I went over it with the Zaino sealant to protect it. :cool:

Josh
So I had it backwards....:D

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Thanks for the breakdown, Josh, and welcome to the forum! Hopefully you'll find it interesting here and will stick around so that we can pester you with detailing questions ;) Wish you lived in or much closer to Tampa!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the breakdown, Josh, and welcome to the forum! Hopefully you'll find it interesting here and will stick around so that we can pester you with detailing questions ;) Wish you lived in or much closer to Tampa!
Second that. Even in the pics the car looks like you can dive into and swim in the paint. Amazing!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shoot away, I love talking about detailing and proper car care. I know an excellent detailer in Orlando and Tampa, probably one of the best in the nation, if you ever need a good detailer let me know I'll get you his info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It was sealed with Zaino, but to be clear there's no sealant or wax or any protection you can apply that will keep away swirls or scratches, the only thing to do is go over the top with your washing and drying techniques.

Swirls are caused when dirt particles in your wash mitt and drying towels is rubbed over the surface of the paint. To avoid this, use two buckets, one for rinsing out the dirt off the mitt and the other for clean water to go back onto the car. That way you should never be rubbing dirt into the paint. Also get a high velocity leaf blower to dry with and some good clean micro fiber towels to touch up afterwards.

I have a full write up on my website if anyone wants to learn some crazy car care methods and techniques.

Josh

·
Registered
206 Posts
Josh, when you use the 2 bucket method, is there some way to "know" when it's safe to go back to the clean bucket. I've used the method for years, and always wonder if a quick dunk is enough, or if I really need to shake it up. Given the purpose of the method, how do you make sure you get the benefit?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I know an excellent detailer in Orlando and Tampa, probably one of the best in the nation, if you ever need a good detailer let me know I'll get you his info.
That would be great. I don't get my car until March, but please do shoot me his info either here or by PM. Thanks.

It was sealed with Zaino, but to be clear there's no sealant or wax or any protection you can apply that will keep away swirls or scratches, the only thing to do is go over the top with your washing and drying techniques.

Swirls are caused when dirt particles in your wash mitt and drying towels is rubbed over the surface of the paint. To avoid this, use two buckets, one for rinsing out the dirt off the mitt and the other for clean water to go back onto the car. That way you should never be rubbing dirt into the paint. Also get a high velocity leaf blower to dry with and some good clean micro fiber towels to touch up afterwards.

I have a full write up on my website if anyone wants to learn some crazy car care methods and techniques.

Josh
By all means, let us know your website.

Two bucket method seems to be gospel from what I've seen so far. And Deak has mentioned only rubbing/wiping in the direction that the wind would blow over the car. What's your opinion on type of towels to use? That seems to be somewhat controversial!

Aren't there some kind of buckets that have a sifter/grate at the bottom so that dirt settles below usable water?

Makes sense about swirls/scratches, of course. Excellent about the leaf blower...I actually already have some kit for the job! Was using the heck out of that think today, in fact.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
http://www.ottmanndetailing.com/

Josh is a great guy and does awesome work. I also know he has plenty of contacts around the US and can assist in hooking you up with some awesome detailers....

Maybe we need a detail section somewhere on this forum.....

Josh,

Here is a list of recent items I purchased from a detail store. How did I do????

Items Shipped
=============
2 [WBGG1] Master Detailer Wash Bucket w/ One Grit Guard @ $17.95 each = $35.90
1 [MEN-AS32] Menzerna Auto Shampoo 32oz. @ $19.95 each = $19.95
2 [MICRO-WMK] Kit of 2 Microfiber Wash Mitts @ $14.95 each = $29.90
2 [BBT-1N] Big Blue III Super Drying Towel @ $17.95 each = $35.90
1 [13325] Autoglym Leather Care Cream @ $9.95 each = $9.95
1 [06500] Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care @ $10.95 each = $10.95
1 [BW-KIT] Blackfire Wheel & Tire Kit @ $34.95 each = $34.95
1 [CVII-KIT] Clear Vision II Kit @ $13.97 each = $13.97

Shipping: $37.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
TOTAL: $229.42

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
houseofg said:
Aren't there some kind of buckets that have a sifter/grate at the bottom so that dirt settles below usable water?
This is what you're looking for. My above purchase list has two of them of course.....:D

All items were purchased here:

http://www.properautocare.com/

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Thanks for the links and bucket info, Sizzle.

Heheh...that's Classic Motoring here in Tampa. I'll definitely use them for anything I purchase. I think I handled a closing for my client who owned (and sold) the building they used to be in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Josh, when you use the 2 bucket method, is there some way to "know" when it's safe to go back to the clean bucket. I've used the method for years, and always wonder if a quick dunk is enough, or if I really need to shake it up. Given the purpose of the method, how do you make sure you get the benefit?
You'll just have to use your best judgement, I always shake the mitt out pretty violently and sometimes even scrub it against itself to help adjitate it. Also check it visually after you shake it and ring it out. That's what I do, seems to work on my F150 which has been swirl free for about 9 months now. After I wash I also spray it down with a quick detailer, I like Zaino Z8, but Meg's Ultimate QD will do a good job as well for a store bought brand.

That would be great. I don't get my car until March, but please do shoot me his info either here or by PM. Thanks.

By all means, let us know your website.

Two bucket method seems to be gospel from what I've seen so far. And Deak has mentioned only rubbing/wiping in the direction that the wind would blow over the car. What's your opinion on type of towels to use? That seems to be somewhat controversial!

Makes sense about swirls/scratches, of course. Excellent about the leaf blower...I actually already have some kit for the job! Was using the heck out of that think today, in fact.
Yes, I wash in the direction of the contours of the car as well, it is controversial though and I think the most important thing is to make sure your materials are very clean as it's really the dirt that does the scratching and never dry wipe your car not even to get light dust off it.

http://www.ottmanndetailing.com/

Josh is a great guy and does awesome work. I also know he has plenty of contacts around the US and can assist in hooking you up with some awesome detailers....

Maybe we need a detail section somewhere on this forum.....

Josh,

Here is a list of recent items I purchased from a detail store. How did I do????

Sizzle, all those items look great, those two buckets with the grit guard in them are the key to keeping your beautiful S5 swirl free. Car wash guys just use the same crappy towels to wash and dry your tires and rims as they do your paint and although your car will be shiny, it will also get horribly swirled.

Let me know if you ever have any questions about anything, I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Orlando area shops?

Shoot away, I love talking about detailing and proper car care. I know an excellent detailer in Orlando and Tampa, probably one of the best in the nation, if you ever need a good detailer let me know I'll get you his info.
Josh, you did a wonderful job on Sizzle's car! Can you advise of the detail shop in the Orlando area? I don't have my S5 yet, but I'd like to take my truck to them until the "Five" comes. Also, will they be using the same products that you use?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts