Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried Meguiars carnauba wax yesterday. I just applied it to the bonnet to see what it was like. Wasn't impressed at all. Visible streaks from various angles after buffing.

Any tried & tested waxes/polishes suitable for the phantom black paint?

All opinions & recommendations welcome :)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I tried Meguiars carnauba wax yesterday. I just applied it to the bonnet to see what it was like. Wasn't impressed at all. Visible streaks from various angles after buffing.

Any tried & tested waxes/polishes suitable for the phantom black paint?

All opinions & recommendations welcome :)
Autoglym or Mir work for me athough I have been using a French Hypermarket own brand polish 'Polish Auto' with great results!:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Which Mir product have you used. Polish or so they do a wax. I've used the polish and got a kind of milky finish which I'm not happy with.

·
Registered
225 Posts
swissoll, or now called swissvax for me.... been using it on my last 4 cars for 6 years now, easy to apply and streakless if you understand a little about what you are doing... anything with a high actuall wax content and nothing 'polish' related that has an abbrasive element...

·
Registered
13 Posts
zaino brothers

as you know or will find out a black car is the hardest to polish. you need to order zaino number 5. check it out on their site what you need to mix up zaino as you have to mix the zaino and an accelarator to product.search for zaino brother on google to get web address. it tells you everything on their site you need to know. You need to get the applicator pad they sell also so you will have no scratching when appyning. You need to get you micro fiber towels from autogeek.com to remove polish. make sure you buy zaino grand finale spray to put on after polishing. This is the way to go if you want to do it right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Audi's have pretty hard clear coats and it can smetimes be difficult to remove swirls from it. I used to use Menzerna super intensive polish or nanao polish 106ff which were both designed for the new hard cerami clear coats. I recently switched to Gloss It products and have had amazing results . Plus they make a sealant called Gloss Finish which is better than Zaino, hands down. I fyou want a deep wet shine and close to 6months durability, Gloss It is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Which Mir product have you used. Polish or so they do a wax. I've used the polish and got a kind of milky finish which I'm not happy with.
I use the Mir Polish which with 2 x decent cloths (on and off) works well.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you're going to be polishing your car yourself, I would 100% recommend the Menzerna or 3M Perfect-It line. You can't go wrong with either, personally my go to product on Audi Clear is Menzerna SIP followed by 106ff.

For waxes, I'd recommend any Swissvax or P21s 100%.

If you're looking for a sealant, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant works great. Klasse Sealant Glaze works well also.

I've yet to try the gloss-it line, but I did see your post on Autopia, Smoke. The results looked good, but the process seemed lengthy.

I can't knock it until I've tried it though. I do know Menzerna works great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies so far folks.

I'll see what i can source, I'll be ordering into Ireland so I may be restricted. To be honest I'm looking for a product that is relatively quick to apply as free time at the weekend is rare.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's another vote for Zaino. I've found other products that can give a similar shine initially, but I've yet to find another was as durable as Zaino. Besides that, their leather cleaner and conditioner could be considered a drug. I find myself sniffing any bottle with a Zaino label on it. ;) I've been using it for 10 years with great results. You can check 'em out at www.zainobros.com.

Trevor

·
Registered
163 Posts
And yet another vote for Zaino, ESPECIALLY on black. I found the Z5 Swirl remover works great. I am on my 2nd black car and no product works better on black.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a black VW Multivan and have also struggled with getting the perfect finish, but finally I think I found the recipe. Taking it for granted the car is well polished already, I recommend a three-step procedure to get it shiny as never before.

Chemical Guys EZ Cream Glaze
This is just an acrylic based glaze. Doesn't have any durability, but gives the car the wet look. Start off with with this.

Chemical Guys Jetseal 109
Quick-drying sealant/protecant that gives the car even higher gloss and works as a coat for the EZ Cream Glaze giving that the durability you want.

AutoGlym High Definition Wax
Maybe not necessary, but if you want to perfect it. After the polish and after "glazing it" with the two above I used AutoGlym High Definition Wax to perfect it all.

After using these three in that order I got an extremely high gloss finish on my black Multivan. Recommended...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Chemical Guys makes excellent products as well. Especially for those not looking to spend a small fortune on car care items. Jetseal 109 has above average durability as well, nice choice!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Autobalm and Jetseal

Last Friday, had a bit of a mini-makeover done on the car by Dave Elston from Affection to Detail (www.affectiontodetail.com) - he spent about 7 hours on the car, removing a bonnet graze and some spurious scratches by the driver's door handle, then went over the car with his electric polisher, UV lamp and paint depth meter before applying Jetseal (inc wheels) and Autobalm wax.

It's a Meteor car, not black but the results were astounding! Car has a mirror sheen on it now, real depth to the colour and looks twice as good as when I collected it.

If you live in South of England and feel like giving your car some TLC at some point (mine is about 5 months old), I'd thoroughly recommend Dave - he's an obsessive and treat's the car like it's his own prized possession - at £170, worth every penny!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Zaino and a Porter Cable if you own a black car and don't like swirls it's a must.

·
Registered
216 Posts
For those at the last APS mods meet, Jetseal 109 was the product I was using to seal my wheels whilst they were off the car. I have tried it on paintwork too and it does seem to offer good results there too. On wheels it's much better than any silicone-based prouct as it has a higher melting temperature and tends to stay on a lot longer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts