Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through the threads on oil changes and all I found were questions and opinions about "how often". Is anybody here performing their own oil changes?
I prefer to do as much of my own maintenance as possible but the web has let me down for finding any kind of information on performing any kind of service at all on A5's. I would hate to drain the oil then find out that there is something critical I need that I don't have and can't get.

*[email protected], I can't believe I misspelled "your" in the title and cannot edit it*

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was hoping a friendly neighborhood moderator would take care of that for me. :)

Now, about changing the oil?

·
Registered
479 Posts
The non-dealer mechanic who takes care of my cars (including the 1st change on the Audi) said that the car was extremely easy to work with.

You'll need 7 qts of oil (manual says capacity with oil filter change is 6.9 qts), and if you don't go with an Audi OEM filter, I think only Purulator makes an aftermarket one, part #L45598.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Shady. Was able to find and order that part # online. For $30 a filter, I can see why Audi gets $75 for an oil change.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yea, I used to think it was ridiculous the numbers I was being quoted, but when not on sale, 1 qt of Mobil 1 is $7 each and you need 7 of them, that's $50, and then you throw on a $15 filter (I think I paid $14 at Pep Boys) and that's $65 in material alone. Give the guy $20-30 to do the change and it's easily close to $100 when all is said and done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not really that bad. On weekends I crew on a dragster and the oil we use (Joe Gibbs XP0) is $20 a quart. I know it's kind of ridiculous, but $7 a quart seems cheap. :rolleyes:

BTW, the 0 means it's the equivalent of SAE 0W oil (in case you were wondering).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts