Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys;
I was wondering how U change gears to hit maximum perfomance, specialy 1-2-3th without hard pulls, or maybe I do relasing clutch too fast? What rpm's should I be on to get max acceleration?

Thanks

· Registered
1,251 Posts
I change just when it approaches red revs, I don't remember what is the amount, can it be 4800rpm? But on the other hand my car is not stock and power output is not same like on the stock one. For me they recommend to rev it all the way until I reach red.

Before upgrade I was changing gears just when I reached 4500 rpm.

· Registered
871 Posts
Generally with diesels its more about low revs torque than high revs power.
Peak torque on you engine is at about 1750 revs and is 500nm. this will start to tail off at higher revs, near the redline.
When you change up make sure that the revs dont fall below the peak torque revs (1750) and you will always have maximum torque, and therefore maximum performance. Ideally you would need to see the torque / power graph to see the optimum revs to change up. I would guess to get max acceleration the change up revs would be around 2500 to 3500 revs

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a lot; after remap ( saturday) I got 80 miles to practice; I will try to estimate both ways; high and medium rpm.

Thanks for sharing it guys

· Registered
442 Posts
The maximum acceleration won't be reached changing between 2.500-3.500 rpms...

Maybe you will get the best power/consumption ratio, but not the best performance...

The best performance in a stock A5 3.0 TDI is changing at about 4.500 rpms as Alejandro said...
You only have to test it against another car to convince yourself...

· Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The maximum acceleration won't be reached changing between 2.500-3.500 rpms...

Maybe you will get the best power/consumption ratio, but not the best performance...

The best performance in a stock A5 3.0 TDI is changing at about 4.500 rpms as Alejandro said...
You only have to test it against another car to convince yourself...
Yea, I would have said the same. Reason being, if you shift up, you want to land the next gear inside the torque band. If you shift when RPM is too low you'll fall below the torque band and with it being turbo'd, you'll feel like you aren't going anywhere fast due to the turbo lag.

What I will say with the 3.0TDI is that if you go too far up the rev range, the torque drops dramatically, and it does actually feel like that car's going nowhere. So you will lose some time if you take it too far.

· Registered
12 Posts
how come Alejandro's tiptronic gearbox changes the gear at 4500rpm in sport mode? if what u said is true... the gearbox should know about it, at least in the sport mode :)

later edit: I know I read about Alejandro's car...and I remember it has tiptronic gear box. from his signature 6MT, i realized that i was wrong :p

· Registered
871 Posts
Yea, I would have said the same. Reason being, if you shift up, you want to land the next gear inside the torque band. If you shift when RPM is too low you'll fall below the torque band and with it being turbo'd, you'll feel like you aren't going anywhere fast due to the turbo lag.

What I will say with the 3.0TDI is that if you go too far up the rev range, the torque drops dramatically, and it does actually feel like that car's going nowhere. So you will lose some time if you take it too far.
Thats precisely what I said. If peak torque is at 1750 and you change up at 3500 the revs will drop to between 2750 and 3000 which is still in the peak torque band. You will still need to keep your foot to the floor though.
At the end of the day though it depends on the engine characteristics and also where peak power is developed.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have the 3.0Tdi A5 manual and the gear change indicator comes on at full acceleration at around 4200rpm. It does change however dependant on the gear for example in 3rd it tells me to change slightly later than 2nd at around 4300rpm.

I know the indicator it is supposed to be for economy but as I'm doing 12mpg at this point I thought it may be actually telling me the best points to change for performance.....

· Registered
821 Posts
Here is My RR Results.......

Looking at mine now, I NEED to stay above 2000 for Sure and not let it drop below when i'm having Fun !!! and Change up at say 3500 ??

· Registered
80 Posts
I would have said around 4300 just before the tail off.

· Registered
1,558 Posts
Here is My RR Results.......

Looking at mine now, I NEED to stay above 2000 for Sure and not let it drop below when i'm having Fun !!! and Change up at say 3500 ??
You are little bit wrong. You have no torque under 2000 rpm because of meassurement method - dynamic meassurement.

On the 3-rd graph is seen, that full throttle has been pushed around 1200 rpm, with no air pressure from turbo (but ECU wants pressure). Turbo need time to make full pressure, pressure has risen till 2000 rpm, where it has reached and overstep dessired pressure value, which ECU wants, ECU reduce the pressure and control it (that's why there is "wave" (up and down) of torque values between 2000 and 2200 rpm).

Try to go on 1500 for a while and push full throttle, there wont'be 200 FtLb change in real life between 1500 and 2000 rpm, as is on your graph.

I hope it is understandable with my poor english. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.