Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

So after listening to stuff I'd put in my trunk slide and bang around back for a month I ordered the cargo net. But can anyone explain why it is that my last two A4s came with the net standard and with this car, which costs at least half-as-much-again as those A4s, we have to buy the damn netting?

And, while on the subject of stupid trunk tricks, there is a small cubby cut into the right rear fender in the trunk, but there is nothing across the bottom of the cutout, which renders it completely useless because nothing you put in the cutout will stay there while you drive. My last A4 had the same cutout, but there was a small piece of netting that stretched across the bottom of it, which made it a usable and neat place to stash stuff like my tire pressure guage, some rubber gloves for emergency tire work while on the road and a few pairs of socks for golf. Why did Audi's usually superb ergonomic design staff miss that one? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Exhibit A

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present to you Exhibit A (picture of the "small cubby" in question).

Sorry Jeff, I just couldn't resist. :) You do raise some valid questions, though.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My Cargo net didnt come with the car and its on backorder (along with spare keys which also failed to arrive).

However, you need to have the storage pack to get the cargo net.

And, while on the subject of stupid trunk tricks, there is a small cubby cut into the right rear fender in the trunk, but there is nothing across the bottom of the cutout, which renders it completely useless because nothing you put in the cutout will stay there while you drive.
I have a cargo net across that and a power point in there. I am guessing you didnt get the storage pack which is why you dont have it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As previously stated, if you ordered the Storage Pack you are 'given' the cargo net. I guess it's also part of the pack as my car has a retaining net across the cubby hole on the right hand side as well, which makes it quite useful...maybe we're just much more practical here in the UK.... :)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have a cargo net across that and a power point in there. I am guessing you didnt get the storage pack which is why you dont have it.
In the U.S., we aren't even given the option to choose the storage pack. And don't get me started on Audi not offering Sport seats as an option on the A5 in the U.S. (unless you get the S-line). :mad:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Golf Bag

I can second that opinion that the cut-out makes it perfect for a golf bag...In my old A6, I couldn't barefly fi a golf bag completely cross ways, but in the S5 I can, and it doesn't roll around beause the cut-out seems to hold it just right...maybe that's why they did. For us golf nuts.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can second that opinion that the cut-out makes it perfect for a golf bag...In my old A6, I couldn't barefly fi a golf bag completely cross ways, but in the S5 I can, and it doesn't roll around beause the cut-out seems to hold it just right...maybe that's why they did. For us golf nuts.
I'm a golf nut too, as you can tell from my reference to socks for golf. But in my old A4s I never had a problem getting my bag in on the diagonal even with an oversize driver. Then again, I use a sun mountain 3.5 carry bag, which is relatively small. I hadn't thought about using the cutout to get the bag in with the driver parallel to the rear bumper, but sounds like a good idea. Then again, I would have liked a net across the bottom of the cubby so I could opt for the diagonal plus storage route if I so chose.

Also, as noted by others above, in the US we don't get to opt for a separate storage package and we don't get the nets. What we do get is a ski bag for the rear pass-through. That's it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I propose a guess for a future use of the cubby hole spot.

The A5/S5 Self Study Guide doc on Networking shows that as the location of the "Electronic Damping Control Module J250", which I assume would come with Drive Select... which is still MIA everywhere except Germany and soon Australia.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In the U.S., we aren't even given the option to choose the storage pack. And don't get me started on Audi not offering Sport seats as an option on the A5 in the U.S. (unless you get the S-line). :mad:
We in the UK don't get the S line but we do get sports seats...........strange perhaps we as countries should form an alliance.....thats never been tried before

·
Registered
49 Posts
That cubby hole space is excellent. I was able to fit my mom's crutches in the trunk solely because of it. I'm sure golfers and others with long sticks would agree as to its usefulness :)

Drive Select is overrated anyway ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Its better then the battery sitting in the trunk space like my rs6
Yeah, but in my MGB days, I would have gladly taken a trunk battery over reaching in and behind the passenger seat to move the speaker, lift the carpet, and unscrew the cover panel for a jump. I'd tell you how many times that happened, but I already told you it was an MGB :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
a buddy of mine had a bunch of old VW beetles from the 50s and 60s, and in his daily driver he would jump it often enough that he never replaced the battery cover.. battery in those old ones goes under the back seat.. which was fine until he had people in the back, and when they sat down and the springs contacted the top of the battery, well, i'm not going to use the obvious pun.. luckily for him nobody was hurt, but more seriously, it didn't ignite the seat stuffing as i've heard of happening in other beetles..

·
Registered
31 Posts
NJ huh? Sprint Blue too. Mine will be in my garage by the weekend also in NJ so maybe we will be the only 2 SBs in the area.

Looks good for my golf clubs which was a major criteria for me in buying the S5 over a Cayman or otherwise.

Anyone here get the trunk mat for the A5/S5. Was about to order it, curious what others thought.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NJ huh? Sprint Blue too. Mine will be in my garage by the weekend also in NJ so maybe we will be the only 2 SBs in the area.

Looks good for my golf clubs which was a major criteria for me in buying the S5 over a Cayman or otherwise.

Anyone here get the trunk mat for the A5/S5. Was about to order it, curious what others thought.
Where are you in NJ, and which dealer are you taking delivery from? We should try to play a round together when weather gets better. Imagine how that would look: 2 Sprint Blue S5s parked next to each other in the parking lot. We'd double the number of double-takes I get now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where are you in NJ, and which dealer are you taking delivery from? We should try to play a round together when weather gets better. Imagine how that would look: 2 Sprint Blue S5s parked next to each other in the parking lot. We'd double the number of double-takes I get now.
I am out off rt 78 about 15 miles from the PA border. We should take some pics. It will certainly be a rare sighting just about anywhere. My dealer is Audi of Mendham.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.