Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen nothing about the closeness of the pedals and the left footrest on manual models being too close to the clutch. Also the well that the clutch descends into will result in carpet damage eventually. Am I the only one with this problem ? I love my A5 3.0 Tdi quattro sport but wonder what others think of this matter ?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Hi Kevin, welcome to the forums - shame you can't get across to the Lake District this weekend (I've seen your other post).

I've had my car since early January and have found no problem with the pedals. I can't see any damage to the carpet under the pedal and the footrest is fine for me.

BTW, you might like to update your profile with your location for future reference - this is an international forum and it helps when deciding answers to questions.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
We have mentioned the awkward pedal offset on right hand drive models. Its a quirk of a number of Audi models apparantly. You get used to it. There are a few RHD issues.

1 - pedal offset
2 - centre console buttons not switched round (no big deal on that really)
3 - cup holder is not swapped over to the other side. so it gets in the way far more on RHD models with the gear stick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.
Perhaps my previous 5 series auto did'nt help.
I note that at least the A5 has wipers designed for RH drive unlike my previous BM

Kev

·
Registered
714 Posts
We have mentioned the awkward pedal offset on right hand drive models.
Yep - Rab in particular loves it ;)

Coming from an auto myself (A3 with DSG) I initially found it particularly uncomfortable but I don't really notice it now I'm more comfortable driving with a clutch pedal again after 3 years of auto.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I noticed the accelerator pedal was quite far over to the right hand side and the brake was quite near it. Mind you, that was an autobox though so the brake pedal will be huge.

Are you talking about something that only affects manual cars?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5 Series / A5

Id be interested to know how someone who had a 5 series rates the A5. Do you like the ride or find it tiresome?
How does the general quality compare?
The 5 Series is absolutely top quality and built like a tank. Quality wise the A5 is no better than the BM but no worse either.
The A5 is much more work in every way but so much more worth it. I much prefer the firm solid secure feel my A5 gives me !

Kev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed the accelerator pedal was quite far over to the right hand side and the brake was quite near it. Mind you, that was an autobox though so the brake pedal will be huge.

Are you talking about something that only affects manual cars?
Yes I was talking manual only, being a perfectionist I noticed that my left foot wears against the raised edge of the pedal recess/carpet, and if nothing else it dirties the carpet.

The offset I can live with

Kev

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
How can you compare the BM build quality with an Audi. Not only is the design 'tacky' but it certainly does not have the quality 'feel' (or look) of an Audi.

I have same car as Kev and have none of the issues he mentions regarding the pedal recess. I have size 10 feet! What are yours Kev????

·
Registered
237 Posts
The 5 Series is absolutely top quality and built like a tank. Quality wise the A5 is no better than the BM but no worse either.
The A5 is much more work in every way but so much more worth it. I much prefer the firm solid secure feel my A5 gives me !

Kev
How can you compare the BM build quality with an Audi. Not only is the design 'tacky' but it certainly does not have the quality 'feel' (or look) of an Audi.

I have same car as Kev and have none of the issues he mentions regarding the pedal recess. I have size 10 feet! What are yours Kev????
Your dislike of BMW's is legendary RGBArgee so having come from a 5 series I'll try like Kevin did to answer micdw's question in a more constructive manner;

The 5 series is without doubt a very good car BUT
In my opinion the build quality of my 5 series was not quite as good as my A5 but only time will tell. My 5 series interior wore well for the first 70,000 miles but then deteriorated rapidly. My A5 3.0 TDi Tip is definitely much more refined (engine and gearbox) than my 525d MSport Tip. As for ride, the runflats on my 5 series caused severe tramlining once partially worn but the sport suspension set up was definitely more comfortable than Audi's sport suspension. Audi's quattro system wins hands down on roadholding especially in the wet where my 5 series was quite poor when pushed (rear end would regularly kick out). Overall, my A5 is much more fun to drive, and contrary to Kevin's post I find driving the auto effortless (just realised that his post is regarding manual so can see why). However I do agree with his comment that the A5 does give a much more solid and secure feeling.

Back to this thread - In the A5 auto, the offset does not affect as much but the further right feeling of the accelerator is still noticeable. Also, the centre channel does still push the rested left leg to the right slightly.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Your dislike of BMW's is legendary RGBArgee so having come from a 5 series I'll try like Kevin did to answer micdw's question in a more constructive manner;
Rather an unfair comment. I love many of the classic BM's before they went seriously down market and 'yuppie' . I loved 'Dinks' old 70's Batmobile 635CSL and the 1602/2002 model + early 3 and 5's.

Modern products post 1995 ish seem to have lost the original plot and despite all the marketing/social hype they 'currently' do not do it for me.

I regularly look but IMHO BM's generally produce a far inferior product to Audi... and the local dealer is crap!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Rather an unfair comment. I love many of the classic BM's before they went seriously down market and 'yuppie' . I loved 'Dinks' old 70's Batmobile 635CSL and the 1602/2002 model + early 3 and 5's.

Modern products post 1995 ish seem to have lost the original plot and despite all the marketing/social hype they 'currently' do not do it for me.

I regularly look but IMHO BM's generally produce a far inferior product to Audi... and the local dealer is crap!:eek::eek:
LOL :D Don't get so touchy RG as my comment was made as banter and wasn't meant to offend.
Of course you're entitled to your opinion but you have to admit that your dislike of BMW's is nearly as well documented on this forum as your love of Phantom Black.:p I was purely making the comment that Kevin and I were probably better placed to give a balanced view as we've both owned a 5 series and A5 in the recent past.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Marmin,
Thanks for both your posts, and balanced view

RGBargee
You're entitled to your opinion

Generally
I just wondered if anyone else thought the pedal arrangement could be better and thanks for the comments.

Kev

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Kev and Marmin

Glad we all have our opinions but just wanted to let you know that I am not banging on about my dislike of BMW's 'just cos they are BMW's. I have tried a few and been tempted, 330i Cab, 330d Touring, 530i etc.....and I have actually driven and ridden a fair way in 5 Series BMW's and do not like the product.

Although not 'owning' one I think my view is balanced, certainly not based on a 'subjective' I don't like BMW's per se. I am trying to like them but just think they are an inferior product.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.