Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Hope you have been all well.

Due to the common oil consumption issue (About 1 lt every 2000 km or 1250 miles) on a 64000 miles 2010 1.8t gasoline (118KW) a5 after some research online I have found out that the genuine Audi oil separator has been updated and it now comes with a white color lid instead of black one. I also found out that some people at other forums reduced the oil consumption with this updated part plus switching to Liqui Moly.

I rang the local Audi dealership and asked for the updated part. The SA told me that they had no idea about the update.

So I asked them to order the part but added that I would be buying it only if it is the updated part which I hope will solve the oil consumption issue (at least somewhat).

When I research online the updated part is appearing as 06H103495AK and the old version is appearing as 06H103495AH.
I rang two dealerships and very interestingly first dealer told me that they had both and the one ending with H was the new one (which is opposite to what I have seen online) and was more expensive than the one which has part number ending with K.

Then I rang another dealership and they told that the one has part number ending with K is the newest version and gave me the same price so I prefered to deal with them.

As I researched online even the recent aftermarket version updated their colors to white from full black.

* So is the 06H103495AK updated latest version?

* Another question; I have been using Mobil 1 Esp Formula 5w30 C3 oil since 3 years of ownership and last two months I have added a total of 2 lt of Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 C3 DEXOS2 (Not Formula) oil (bit by bit at different times)....Could this cause even an increased oil consumption as the Mobil swithed from ESP FORMULA to ESP DEXOS2 which I believe is not as good as old Formula version as they lost the BMW LL04 approval. But they still have the Vw504 507 approval which is what I actually need?

* Last question: If I can manage to get the updated Oil Separator, on the day of installation I will also change the oil and deciding to switch to Liqui Moly 4200 5w30 C3 oil with both LL04 and Vw504 507 approvals. Will the outcome be better than Mobil or should I try Motul XClean+ 5w30 C3 or stay with Mobil 1 Esp 5w30 Dexos2 ?

I am quite confused from the answers I got from the dealership in regards to the updated version. As I understand the part was updated more than 2 times. I am also confused at oil selection.

I look forward to see your suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

·
Registered
363 Posts
There are two types of PCV, one with the clear plastic and the other black. You can't just put in the new one with the clear plastic (06H103495AK) because your computer has to be programmed to use that PCV. The newer model year cars already has the updated software so they come with the AK version from the factory.

In the USA, some car computers were updated, so they could switch from black to clear. But if your car hasn't, then the latest version you can use is AH. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with AH.

Most of the time, the PCV valve fails because the rubber diaphram tears. The AK version is tuned to use a lower pressure, so it lasts longer. But if your car is still tuned for the original higher pressure, then you should use the AH version for proper operation.

As for oil, I'm in the USA so I don't have much experience. I alway use Mobil 1 0W-40 and never had any oil burning problem. LiquiMoly is highly respected so it can't get worse.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There are two types of PCV, one with the clear plastic and the other black. You can't just put in the new one with the clear plastic (06H103495AK) because your computer has to be programmed to use that PCV. The newer model year cars already has the updated software so they come with the AK version from the factory.

In the USA, some car computers were updated, so they could switch from black to clear. But if your car hasn't, then the latest version you can use is AH. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with AH.

Most of the time, the PCV valve fails because the rubber diaphram tears. The AK version is tuned to use a lower pressure, so it lasts longer. But if your car is still tuned for the original higher pressure, then you should use the AH version for proper operation.

As for oil, I'm in the USA so I don't have much experience. I alway use Mobil 1 0W-40 and never had any oil burning problem. LiquiMoly is highly respected so it can't get worse.
Thank you for the quick answer. I am very confused. Rang the Audi again and was told that 06H103495AK white cap would require software update.

I do not want software update not to take any risk so I decided to stick with replacing the old version with the old version.

But my car has 06H103495E with black cap and the Audi dealership has 06H103495AH with black cap.

Will 06H103495AH still be okay without software update as long as it has black color cap?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes. The AH is the latest version that replaces "E"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. The AH is the latest version that replaces "E"

Thanks mate. Bought AH version this morning and will update all after the replacement with the oil change in a few days. Hope that software update wont be necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts