Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't specify any phone options on my car and am thinking of having one of these Parrot MultiCAN kits installed.

It seems they can be installed "invisibly" and it can hook into the CAN bus on the car so you can use the steering wheel controls for voice dialling etc

Does anyone have any experience/opinions both good or bad please!?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Got one fitted in the works van(vauxhall),works quite well,turns the radio/cd off when a call comes through:)

Mal..

·
Registered
714 Posts
Chris D - did you get this Parrot kit or have you found an alternate solution?

Has anyone else had an aftermarket hands-free kit installed?

I'm starting to wish I'd coughed up for the basic bluetooth prep but the Yorkshireman in me refuses to pay an extra £375 for an option in a car that's not mine (company car) and which I can get my employer to install at zero cost to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey TLU,
Not yet, mainly because the installers I found told me that there wasn't a "Harness" available for the A5 with B&O yet. He recommended trying again in a few months, and so I am about to follow up to find out if it is available now.

Will let you know how I get on!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Any Updates?

Does anyone have an update on after market phone kits?

I'm still kicking myself for being so tight and not ordering the basic Bluetooth prep but I'm getting desperate for a car kit and need to find something ASAP.

A colleague at work has had the Parrot CK3100 fitted to his A4 and it works very well. The only downside is the way it was mounted - it looks like one of those stick on air fresheners and is right next to the MMI screen :(

I think this is what I'll have to go for but I'll be looking to get the little LCD unit mounted on the flat area in front of the gear shift where Sat Nav equipped cars normally have the MMI control.

Re the MultiCAN that ChrisD references, even though it integrates with the car's steering wheel mounted controls my understanding is that this option has to accompany the CK3000 or CK3100 because it still has to use the CK units for presentation i.e. the A5's wheel controls will control the voice menu on the CK3000 and the LCD menu on the CK3100. The MultiCAN doesn't integrate with the DIS or MMI/AIS. Can anyone confirm this?

If that's the case then the MultiCAN would seem to be something of a waste of money as I may as well just use the control knob on the CK3100.

Does anyone have any better alternatives? Dealer retrofit is not an option as this is a company car and because I work for a mobile phone operator I'm limited to using our own installation service and product catalogue.

I'm not sure why installers are telling ChrisD that a harness is required, my understanding is that the A5 uses the standard ISO and telemute connectors etc that the CK3100 is equipped to deal with and as I say I've actually seen one installed in a new B8 A4 now which is pretty much identical to the A5.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No updates from me I'm afraid. From what you're saying it may be that the installer doesn't know his onions about the harness, so I will ask around.

I'm not in so much of a rush and really want the job done properly. For me personally, there's no way i'm allowing anything stuck anywhere in my cockpit :) so i'm happy to wait. If I have to have the LCD screen somewhere, it might be under the arm rest or somewhere else out of sight.

AFAIK, you're right about the lack of integration into the DIS/MMI. Even MULTICAN can't offer this.

Is dealer retrofit an option? Has anyone had this conversation with theirs?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I had a Parrot in my Z and I would give it a 6 out of 10 stars. The features were great, but the "echo" and feedback was just not quite up to an OEM system.

Not knocking it, but that is my experience with Parrot.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a CK3000 fitted to my old A4 and found it a good unit (and a lot cheaper than the OEM facility). Had it removed to put into my A5 but the installer hadn't done an A5 before and reckoned he had to order a special wiring extension- that was weeks ago and I haven't heard from the clown since so going to look elsewhere for someone to install it. It didn't work off the steering wheel buttons but has voice recognition that worked well and so wasn't too bothered by this.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I can't go on without a phone in my A5 so yesterday I took the plunge and ordered the Parrot CK3100 from my mobile network operator who were absolutely fantastic and delivered it to my desk at 9:30 this morning. :rolleyes:

The install is booked for Friday so I'll post pics and first thoughts over the weekend. This has been agonising to sort out so to anyone still ordering ... DON'T FORGET YOUR BLUETOOTH PREP!

·
Registered
714 Posts
No updates from me I'm afraid. From what you're saying it may be that the installer doesn't know his onions about the harness, so I will ask around.
I think it's me that doesn't know my onions. My install is set for this afternoon but my installer has already sent me a harness which is an Elanmutes EMK-068 (note that this is for B&O equipped cars)

They've also sent me a Brodit bracket for dash-mounting on an A5. This is a ProClip item no 654063 but I doubt I'll use it for the Parrot kit as it's bigger than the Parrot display unit. Might see if they'll mount it anyway for my PDA.

I'll post more info and pics once the car kit is installed.

·
Registered
714 Posts
So, this afternoon I had a Parrot CK3100 installed in my company A5 and I've got to say, I'm underwhelmed. My immediate needs are met in that I now have a Bluetooth car kit installed in my car and can make/take calls whilst travelling.

On the plus side:
- the audio is good, including the mic
- the bluetooth bonding works well
- the Parrot synchronised quickly with my phone
- the in car audio is muted when making/receiving calls

On the downside:
- the installer insisted on installing the LCD unit on the dash on a Brodit bracket larger than the display unit - it doesn't look great (see pic)
- the car kit only seems to work when the engine is running - turn the ignition on without starting the engine and it doesn't want to know. Similarly, turn the engine off and 30 secs later all audio is switched back to your phone automatically.
- there doesn't appear to be a mute/secrecy function, you have to pick your phone up to mute it (I do lots of conference calls and people don't want to hear my car in the background when I'm listening rather than talking.
- returning to car audio seems to be in steps - the rear speakers kick in a couple of seconds before the front ones.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed, even though I knew this would never be a great fix. I'd give it 5 out of 10.

You'll see from the pic below that I've got to do something about that oversize mounting bracket, it looks terrible. The installer didn't even stick the display unit on it straight!!! I'm seriously considering pulling the display off and hiding it in the ashtray

Let this serve as a warning - cough up the extra for the Audi bluetooth prep at least. I didn't pay anything for this as my company covered it but the Parrot clocks in at about £100 and the install is about £135, so the total is about £235 and I still can't use the steering mounted controls or the AIS/DIS displays :(

I want to cry.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Look on the bright side Tuff, you have an A5, and not just any A5. You have the much sought after and rare 1.8T! Besides, it's Friday. Want some wine? I've got gallons of the stuff here. Not be much left in a few hours though.

By the way, whats the button to the left of your ESP button for?

·
Registered
714 Posts
By the way, whats the button to the left of your ESP button for?
It's the ejector seat for when the wife gets mouthy. Didn't you get one with yours?

I think it's the parking plus button for the front sensors. I'm so lazy I've never pressed it, when I want the front sensors on I just momentarily stick the car in reverse as this activates all the parking sensors (I'm not joking).

I've pulled the Parrot display off and re-applied it and it looks a little better now it's straight. I've also removed the stupid Brodit sticker from the bracket. I can still feel a hacksaw job coming on for that bracket though to get it down to a more appropriate size.

That wine sounds good...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the update Tuff, sorry to hear about the unsatisfactory install though. Incidentally, where did they place the mic, I can't see it in the picture...

·
Registered
714 Posts
The job done by the installer is perfectly satisfactory - apart from the display being slightly wonky on the bracket (which I easily fixed) the rest of the car has been left in mint condition. Remember, the cables need to run from the amp in the boot all the way to the dash and there's no sign of the installer having done this.

It's the Parrot kit itself which has disappointed me. The mic is in the roof near the rear view mirror. Again the installer has done a great job of hiding it. I'll take pics and post them when I get chance.

First impressions yesterday were that I wished I'd gone for a fixed install i.e. a cradle for the phone, but I'm feeling more positive about it now as I'm getting used to just leaving the phone in my pocket and letting it sync by Bluetooth as soon as I start the engine.

If anyone is considering this option I'll try to shoot a little video and post in the appropriate section.

One thing I DON'T understand is why it's legal for me to mess with the buttons on the Parrot kit yet if my phone were to be mounted on the bracket then it would be illegal for me to touch it. Have I understood the UK law correctly?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts