Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by my local Audi dealer (UK) that the panoramic roof option was deleted due to early production problems, and has never been put back on.

It seems however, that customers in other European countries (and I believe the US) are ordering this option without any difficulties.

Anyone know whether option this will be reinstated for the UK market and whether my dealer's info was correct?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It seems however, that customers in other European countries (and I believe the US) are ordering this option without any difficulties.
FYI, the panoramic roof comes standard on all US spec A5/S5s. In fact, we can't even opt to NOT have it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
FYI, the panoramic roof comes standard on all US spec A5/S5s. In fact, we can't even opt to NOT have it.

...Probably due to the difference in rainfall from Texas and Leeds....Hmmm??!!

Texas=2mm all year (!)
Leeds=>200mm a month !!

I would have loved to have had the sunroof option as well.
But from previous experience, there is nothing worse than a leaking roof...!

·
Registered
636 Posts
One of our neighbours has an 08 plate A5 3.0TDi with the panoramic roof. I was a little bemused when I noticed this as we were also told it was deleted due to early production problems. Perhaps this A5 was manufactured during 2007 and not registered till 2008?

·
Registered
552 Posts
One dealer who I have spoken to in the past claimed that he could still get an A5 ordered with the sunroof! He said that he had contacts that could get it done. I am very sceptical about this though!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jocktherock...just to clear your bemusement....I have on 08 plate S5 with sunroof option. Build occured during early part of 2008, as delivery was in April. I do know that shortly after I had collected car I was told option was removed for the exact reasons mentioned above.

·
Registered
196 Posts
While I'm not sure of the (option) price of a sun/moon roof, it may be a blessing in disguise that you cannot get it in GB. I have one, no choice, and while I like the look, it really doesn't open (just a 2 inch lift in back) which is probably not worth the extra $1000-$2000 (or pounds or euros). I have not had any leaking problems with it though I once owned a BMW (318i) which got flooded (1 inch standing water on floor) in any rainstorm or in a car wash. BMW was very apologetic and said that "since I had a lemon, they would sell me a new one!!" I haven't owned a BMW since then (1983).

·
Registered
19 Posts
The panoramic roof is available to order in the UK - it is even pictured in the UK A5 brochure (page 35).

It is an £850 option - if your dealer is confused, ask them to talk to Audi UK and they will 'educate' them.

Furthermore, if you go onto the used Audi website and search for A5 and tick the sunroof option it will list about 2 or 3 cars :)

Dealers, don't you just luv em!

·
Registered
139 Posts
The panoramic roof is available to order in the UK - it is even pictured in the UK A5 brochure (page 35).

It is an £850 option - if your dealer is confused, ask them to talk to Audi UK and they will 'educate' them.

Furthermore, if you go onto the used Audi website and search for A5 and tick the sunroof option it will list about 2 or 3 cars :)

Dealers, don't you just luv em!
Ummm.... eh?

Are you looking at Nov 2008 dated brochure (the latest one)?

I'm looking at P.35, and I see a nice picture staring back at me!
No sign of sunroofs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm looking at the valid from July '08 price list.

Page 35, side pciture of the interior (in brown with wood trim) - look at the roof :)

I've just tried downloading the latest pdf price list but the photos aren't showing on my system.

Just tried the Audi used search based on the A5 with the Sunroof option selected - 2 cars showing :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm looking at the valid from July '08 price list.

Page 35, side pciture of the interior (in brown with wood trim) - look at the roof :)

I've just tried downloading the latest pdf price list but the photos aren't showing on my system.

Just tried the Audi used search based on the A5 with the Sunroof option selected - 2 cars showing :)
If you look at the latest UK brochure (Jan 2009) no sunroof options are available.

Of course you'll find used models available, the option did originally exist, but now it doesn't, hence this thread!

Question was, will the option return?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you ask your Audi dealer to talk to Audi UK they will confirm it is available as a special order item in the UK for £850 - I had this conversation with my dealer 2 weeks ago.

Why don't you send an email directly to Audi UK asking them the question?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Suzy,

I don't know if you already solved the panoramic roof question. But it is for sure available, although now (mid March '09) it still is in no brochures in the UK. You just have to ask the dealer for it. I noticed there are several things you have to ask for in order to get it. Actually, the dealers can provide almost all the extra's that are available for instance Germany, but you have to ask for it specifically.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Over here, the panoramic roof is an option, it does not come standard on A5 models!
It costs an extra $2,500!

A little too pricey for a roof that doesn't actually open up but just tilts upwards an inch or so!
Definitely not worth $2,500 !!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Over here, the panoramic roof is an option, it does not come standard on A5 models!
It costs an extra $2,500!

A little too pricey for a roof that doesn't actually open up but just tilts upwards an inch or so!
Definitely not worth $2,500 !!
Bloody hell, that's a lot of money!

You're right, if it slid open it might be better, but still not worth $2.5k.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
850 Quid and it doesn't open!

I was tempted to opt for a sunroof on my A5 and one was available but they only flip up and at £850 is not good value. By way of comparison the Panoramic twin sunroof on A3 Sportback and I believe the A4 Avant for about £1000 is a bargain. We have the A3 Sportback. 2 Glass roofs with blinds, front one slides/tilts etc. That is good value IMHO.

Come on Audi a proper slide/tilt roof would be great on an A/S5 particularly for those who have black headlining which fortunately I don't have.

Good to see you back BTW High end..

Cheers

RG:moped:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Horses for courses ... I had the Open Sky on my A3 Sportback. Coupled with DSG it was the reason I chose the A3 over the A4 and even the A6 (my A3 was well specced and cost more than the A6 2.0TDi SE).

It was very disappointing. Sure it added more light inside the car but the roof created a lot of wind noise. Cleaning it was also a pain as it always seemed to be covered in what I can only describe as salt marks.

When the roof was open the "spoiler" had no effect and used to create horrible pressure build ups inside the car unless the rear windows were down (you know that "whub whub whub" booming noise???)

I'm sure others will love it but I felt cheated out of my £1050.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.