Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a little disappointed with the A5 in this department, as over the weekend it gave it some needed wax (Zymol) and really noticed the "orange peel" effect in the paintwork.

Do others see this in their cars? I ideally want a mirror finish that is as perfect as you can get. I have asked my detailer to come over and potentially mop the paintwork and cover with some Zymol Royale.

I would like to understand what measures others have taken to get the best finish on their P&J??

Thanks Gio

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I would like to understand what measures others have taken to get the best finish on their P&J??
Gio, I haven't noticed any orange peel on my black car's paint. As for measures others have taken to get the best finish on their cars, you might find the following posts to be helpful:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/detailing-2130/index.html?t=2130

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/swirlies-gone-1324/index.html

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/whats-your-cleaning-2022/index.html

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thowing tons of waxes apon waxes apon waxes on the paint will do nothing to remove Orange Peel. You have to totally flatten the paint surface.

Due to modern paints (clear coats) when the paint is heat cured at the factory it dries and hardens with a slight ripple or Orange Peel in it.

The only way to remove the OP looks is to flatten all the ripples in the clear coat. Most detailer do not know how to do this. You must completely wetsand the entire surface and relevel the paint so that it is uniform and flat on a microscopic level. The problem is that the manufacturers do not spray enough clear coat on the car to do this safely. Wetsanding that much clear coat reduces it's thickness significantly and can cause clear coat failure in the future. It just is not healthy for the paint.

Some and very few quality body shops that perform high end paintwork can typically finish a paint job like a mirror due to the fact that they paint the car and apply 1-2 extra layers of clear coat for the specific purpose of sanding out the OP and finishing the paint out like a mirror. With the extra layers of CC they can afford to safely sand as much as they need to leave the paint surface flat and perfect without risk.

Josh

·
Registered
643 Posts
Ibis White seems to be pretty heavy in the orange peel department (at least on my car). I don't really care enough to worry about it, though. More worried about its cleanliness ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks, Great bit of information. I will ask my detailer to do his magic....
Just curious, what are you going to have him do???

Is he skilled to wetsand properly? If you're going to have him sand the entire car, this is a process that can easily take 40-50 hours and is pretty risky if doing it by hand.

Josh

·
Registered
120 Posts
!

Just curious, what are you going to have him do???

Is he skilled to wetsand properly? If you're going to have him sand the entire car, this is a process that can easily take 40-50 hours and is pretty risky if doing it by hand.

Josh

It seems gio missed the point of your post. (ya think?)

thanks for the helpful info, though

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me come back to you after he has seen the car... Maybe before and after photos...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts