Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the front wheel is weird but its not buckled pics arn't the best...........camera phone sorry

Calipers are painted gloss black with red decals

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm liking those Red calipers....Can you do a decent job without taking them off ???

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm going to paint mine black next month and will be getting the Audi rings in white to stick on. Last time I did capliers was on my old TT. Where did you get your stickers from - TT Shop?
Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
17 Posts
you can do a good job - just take your time and get some fine brushes to paint in the small areas.... it took me a few hours to do... 4 coats on each side for best results. we use etech caliper paint which is premixed unlike foliotec which you have to mix hardner and paint together.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good mate! How long did it take you to do and what paint did you use?
Ordinary black gloss metal paint, about 15 mins per wheel, put the decals on the next night got them off ebay just search under 'audi decals' theres so many. Caliper paint is a rip off you could use smooth hamerite I have in the past and its a good product. I just had the black gloss lying about......tried it........liked it etc

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Won't it peel off after time though? I thought the whole reason why you use special caliper paint is because it's very heat resistant??

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Used this make before on BMW never peeled not sure the heat transfers to caliper through the brake pad to the extent paint would peel but then I've never touched the caliper after a long drive maybe someone here has

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I too want to paint my calipers.

I am aware that there are 2 ways to do this:

1) Leave the calipers in place and paint over them (similar to Osaka's brother)
or
2) Completely take the calipers off the brake pad, clean them thoroughly, paint them and then put them back on

Now, I was told that the best way to do this is going for the second choice.
If you were to go with choice number 1, since the calipers dissipate a lot of heat, the paint is without doubt going to peel off.

What do you guys think?
Has anyone gone with number 1 and regretted it because of paint peeling or is that just a bunch of BS? I would think it would be true!

It just seems like such a hassle to go with number 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts