Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that the paddle shifters are no longer standard on the A5 (except for S-line), but would have to be ordered as a stand alone option. As this was not offered as an option when I ordered in May, I am pretty miffed that I won't get the paddle shifters on my '09 A5. Anyone have any information on this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do have paddle shifters on my 09 A5?!

Got a call today from my dealer that my 09 A5 (none S-line) car had just arrived at the dealership. So went down to take a look and noticed that it does have paddle shifters??!!!!. Just about fell over with surprise :eek: as everywhere I have read the none S-line 09 A5 does not have paddle shifters, and it is not a standalone option in Canada. Also my salesman said that it would not have them, but there they are, he was really surprised too?

I get to pick the car up on Wednesday night, have to say I am really pleased about it as I wanted the paddles but didn't want the S-line; and was disappointed that I had missed the 08 (automatic power folding mirrors are not included as mentioned by other 09 owners though!).

So despite what you have been told maybe they will be on the car when it arrives?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
What a nice surprise that was! :) Could it be that all the posts you had read were related to US spec 2009 A5 Tiptronics?

I'm guessing Canadian 2009 non S-line A5 Tiptronics will come with paddle shifters, but US spec ones won't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ohh I like I like I like!! this is awesome I'm even more excited for mine now (if that's even possible) lol

·
Registered
479 Posts
UK cars get paddle shift and folding mirrors. It surprises me that Audi (and other car manufacturers) vary the spec between continents so much. There are no legislative reasons for these options not being included. I can understand things like different lights for the US market but why vary things like mirrors and gearshifts?:confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's not between continents... The UK spec is pretty high even compared to the German spec. Milano Leather, 3-zone Climate Control, rear parking sensors, the Audi Sound System and even Concert radio are all extras!!!

Offcourse the price must be lower...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Right now 1US dollar = 1.06 Canadian yet the price for an A5 in Canada is 55K compared to 40K in the U.S. I imagine deleting the paddle shifter is just an attempt by Audi to save a bit of money on the U.S cars? Just a guess. I always wonder if they even make any money in the U.S. at the moment with the dollar so low.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Right now 1US dollar = 1.06 Canadian yet the price for an A5 in Canada is 55K compared to 40K in the U.S. I imagine deleting the paddle shifter is just an attempt by Audi to save a bit of money on the U.S cars? Just a guess. I always wonder if they even make any money in the U.S. at the moment with the dollar so low.
That's what "mark up " is for! :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
now I know I asked in my intro thread about this and was told that the UK car does have the paddles, but I was in Docklands Audi today, and saw 2 3.2 auto's, and 1 S5 auto and none had the paddles?

Mine is the 3.0 diesel so I don't know if that makes a difference, when I went in and asked the dealer he was none the wiser!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Allright now I have to ask this silly little question, what are paddle shifters you are talkin about? :D
Is it the stick or is it paddles behind the steering wheel?

:)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It's the paddles on the steering wheel. (pics here)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Allright now it's cleared up... I didn't know the A5/S5 was available with paddle shifters. Damnit now I can't make up my mind. I really like paddle shifters, but manual is still manual! :mad:

TXcarguy, I see you have tiptronic. Are you satisified with it and are the paddle shifters fun/convenient?

·
Registered
48 Posts
It would be too much if they actually charged you extra for the stick:p
LOL!!!

If I may,

I've been driving my A5 for a month now and I use to drive a BMW before that.

I drove a lot of M3s with paddle shiffters (SMG gearbox)

Unless you're getting the paddle shifters because you DO NOT want a manual because you don't know how or don't like to drive with a clutch.... fine.

BUT if you're getting the paddle shifter for the sporty side of it..... I would say: don't!... at least not with an A5

I have the 3.2 FSI and it's REALLY peppy but with 265 HP it is NOT a race car, the torque is GOOD but not impressive compared to an M3.

The SMG on the M3 is lightning fast and the car is SO responsive, it's fun as hell. Also the SMG in the M3 is "race inspired" and you you can tell if you drive one.

The A5, with it's smaller engine (and power and torque) and paddle shifter is nothing more than an "automatic car".

That being said the A5 is WAY too much fun (265 HP is not an M3 but it doesn't feel like a civic either (no offense civic owners, my wife has one!!!)
and I wouldn't want to choke it with an automatic gearbox. (I use to have a Mustang and got it with automatic shifter...always regretted it!!!)

my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
TXcarguy, I see you have tiptronic. Are you satisified with it and are the paddle shifters fun/convenient?
Yep, I'm very satisfied with it. When driving in automatic, the shifts are extremely smooth. And when I put it in 'S' (Sport mode), there's a noticeable difference in the amount of torque delivered compared to driving in 'D'. And yes, the paddle shifters are fun when I'm in the mood to play.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts