Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Do you keep you DRLS (only) on as long as possible into the fading light?

• Yes

Votes: 44 86.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 13.7%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has turned the lights off auto just to keep the DRLs only on longer when it starts getting a little darker at the end of the day?

I wish the rear lights were on when the DRLs are on as that would look really cool at dusk and sunrise.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Careful! Less talk of 'showing off' please, otherwise we'll upset Mr Stimpson again.

If we choose to maximise the display of our LED running lights, let's be clear that it's because we are impressed by and deeply engaged with the underlying technology and wish to embrace it fully, NOT because we wish to draw admiring glances.

G

·
Careful! Less talk of 'showing off' please, otherwise we'll upset Mr Stimpson again.

If we choose to maximise the display of our LED running lights, let's be clear that it's because we are impressed by and deeply engaged with the underlying technology and wish to embrace it fully, NOT because we wish to draw admiring glances.
Your a total and utter moron

ps there is no p in Stimson

G

·
Who here has turned the lights off auto just to keep the DRLs only on longer when it starts getting a little darker at the end of the day?

I wish the rear lights were on when the DRLs are on as that would look really cool at dusk and sunrise.
I can categorically state that i have not.:confused:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You put the side lights on and although you get rear lights, the LEDs dim down. You put the headlights on and you lose a lot of the LED effect.

If you turn the lights off, so only the DRLS are on, the LEDs are at their brightest and I dont care what anyone things, I think they look particulary stunning and effective when sunset is just starting.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
No more bickering boys !! Everyone is different and Elstimpo is good bloke with his own views - which I respect - but Oh yeah, I love my LED's and no I'm not an exhibitionist but you have to admit the reaction from other folk at the moment is addictive. I think I posted last week about it being a shame the rear lights are not linked to the day time runners. I didn't buy the S5 for its looks, I think there are better looking cars out there for the money, but I am surprised by the response this car gets from people in general, always positive and always welcome.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Crikey! Apologies for any offence caused - I see I have to tread very carefully in some areas of this board, or maybe just at certain times of the month.

I didn't realise I was a total and utter moron (thanks for pointing it out) but can now clearly see that there is no 'p' in Stimson - my thanks again!

Hope we can all get along now.

(And I voted positively in the poll because although I don't yet have an DRLs to leave on until the last minute, I sure as hell will be in a couple of weeks....)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You could argue that 'you are' is shortened to 'you're', not 'your' as in 'your a moron', but that would be petty !!! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Now Guys this is my very own opinion,but i think the DRL 's look great,makes the car stand out and makes people look twice.:rolleyes:

G

·
Crikey! Apologies for any offence caused - I see I have to tread very carefully in some areas of this board, or maybe just at certain times of the month.

I didn't realise I was a total and utter moron (thanks for pointing it out) but can now clearly see that there is no 'p' in Stimson - my thanks again!

Hope we can all get along now.

(And I voted positively in the poll because although I don't yet have an DRLs to leave on until the last minute, I sure as hell will be in a couple of weeks....)
I have no time for people who try and be clever on internet forums at the expense of others. You want to do that, bugger off to kindergarten with the rest of the children who like to make 'time of the month' jokes.

I expressed my opinion on the other thread, if you can't deal with that, its your problem pal, just don't try and be smart with me:mad:

I don't suffer fools

G

·
You could argue that 'you are' is shortened to 'you're', not 'your' as in 'your a moron', but that would be petty !!! :)
You could argue that because i can see you had to edit your post that maybe you made a mistake too first time up :D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Crikey again! Elstimpo, I'm sorry if I offended you - and yes, I have a certain sense of humour - by definition, they are very subjecive and if what I perceive as vaguely amusing is to you churlish, then c'est la vie - it represents part of the diversity that makes these boards as interesting as they are!

Let's not judge each other based on posts on a bulletin board - I'm probably not as childish as you would assume, and you're probably not as opinionated, superior and aggressive as you might seem.

Shall we leave it there?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
How funny. I just did this late yesterday for the first time. Turned the lights to off when it was dusk out and enjoyed all the head snapping looks at the LED's.

BUT, it is purely for the driving enjoyment and not to show off.....;)

G

·
C
you're probably not as opinionated, superior and aggressive as you might seem.

Everyone on this board is opinionated or they would wouldn't be here giving their opinions would they?
Superior - if having a different opinion on bragging, showing off than you is deemed superior, then yes i am superior but i find your choice of word strange.
Aggressive - no, responding to someone who continues to try and be smart. Simple

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Don't have my car yet, but you can bet i'll have the DRL on as long as possible just for the sheer fact the look amazing.....and yes people will turn and look too...yes like to show off a bit too but not too much :D

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Own up - who uses the DRLs to show off
Didn't think ELSTIMPO would like this one...;)

I happen to think the DRLs look great, but don't think I'm using them to 'show off', so I voted no. I'll probably just put the lights in auto and let the car do what it wants with the lights, but I only got it today, so haven't really got to grips with exactly what they're doing yet - more interested in getting out there and driving the thing!:D :D

For ELSTIMPO - you do know you can turn the DRLs off completely through the MMI? Might be useful if you want people to stop looking at your car!:D :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I had this car, which I do not currently, I would maximize my DRLs all the way into the midnight hours. I would also be taken to jail, so, to compromise, I suppose I would keep them on as long as possible. To say you didn't, on some level, purchase this car for its gorgeous looks is silly. Keep those DRLs going!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didnt post this to antagonise Elstimpo. However, just because he doesnt like how the car looks, most of us here do. This thread is for those that do. There is room for everyone on the board.

I make no apology for loving how the car drives or loving how the car looks.

Most of you that have seen the DRLs at dusk will tell you that they stand out more than ever at that time and give the car a greater profile.

The auto headlamps though come on very early (regardless of the setting in the MMI). So, the minute there is a hint of dusk, on come the main headlamps and the DRLs dim down. Hence, why a number of us move the setting to off. I bet many of those in waiting will as well when they finally get their car.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am running mine. It is one of the reasons I like the car so I want to show it off.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts