Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experienced this?

When in low speeds and first press lightly on accelerator started noticing a strange noise similar to an owl hooting? (Sorry but only way to describe it!).:confused: This only seems to happen when first setting off on don't hear anything once flying along.

Never had diesel engine before but something still doesn't seem right. (3.0Tdi)

Only had the car just over one month and done 900miles.

Any knowledge would be much appreciated as always.

Cheers

Rich

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm guessing its the turbo kicking in...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry that definatley isn't the noise ( Had turbo in the past.) This doesn't sound healthy.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
I also get an odd sound sometimes. Usually when pulling away in first. I can only descibe it as a 'hollow' noise and it seems to come from the the lower right side of the engine compartment (as you are sitting in the drivers seat). It rarely happens at higher revs, but I have noticed it once or twice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Maybe ther e is an owl in the bonnet - and it doesn't like going too fast?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi boxerrich,

My A5 suffers from something very similar at start up, after a few miles the noise has completely gone.
I've been meaning to have a listen with the window down etc, but not managed it yet.

By the looks of it, I've got a similar spec A5, 3.0TDi, so maybe something there.

I'm taking the A5 back to the dealer in a few weeks, as I've got a problem with the door panels vibrating when I crank up the B&o.
So I'll see what he has to say about this.

R

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...I had a Vauxhaul a few years back (in fact many years back now I think about it... 1994!) which made a 'hooting' sort of sound on start-up... It was eventually diagnosed (a year and 4 services later) as being a tiny split in one of the air-conditioning hoses that would 'fart inwards' as the service manager described it when you first started the car from cold... would last about 30 seconds.

...it did not have anything to do with moving though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Haha, an owl hooting? I never found the right words to explain it, thx man! :D Mine probably has the same sound, under the same conditions as Serdinya mentioned. It has to be normal, if we all experience this, right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Haha, an owl hooting? I never found the right words to explain it, thx man! :D Mine probably has the same sound, under the same conditions as Serdinya mentioned. It has to be normal, if we all experience this, right?
Reading this thread has left me with the same little moments of disappointment that I got when reading the car manual. You know - you find an interesting feature in there that you never knew you had, go outside to check - and find you don't actually have it at all and it was indeed an optional extra.

I was eagerly listenting for owl functionality noises today, but alas no. :(

PS. S5France - Call yourself a Frenchman? I would have rather hoped you would have shared a few good owl recipes with us ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
TwoFish, I had to laugh at the mental image of you failing to hear the 'owl'. Mind you, I'm probably getting a bit OCD about it - but the noise does sound more and more like an owl to me as well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im getting this exact noise! i picked my car up on the 1st march and its been like it for a good few weeks now. Its going in on monday to be sorted, ill post up to let you no the outcome!

Phil.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Been out to check mine - could only hear the turbo whine, no owl. What I have noticed at other times is that the sound from the air intake varies dependent on external air temperature and engine temperature. The engine managment system must regulate the air intake (someone with technical knowledge, pls help here!).

Could the owl noise be related to this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my car in today and the tech guy said the sound was down to a fault with some kind of fuel transportation?!? im not 100% sure it was exactly that but fuel and transportation was mentioned! its going in on the 16th so when i get it all sorted ill post up whats on the report!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'll be interested to see the report, hamps. Fuel transportation sounds a bit strange - I reckon he had been watching a Harry Potter movie and thinks that owls can carry anything!

·
Registered
11 Posts
First Post!!

My 3.0 TDI has the same issue.

The dealer has said that it is a faulty fuel return valve and there is a "known fix".

They have ordered the parts and the repair is being carried out today.

I'll let you know the outcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Owl Noise Referred To Last Week

just had my car in garage for 4 days, they had to take engine out and found noise was coming from fuel pipes. replaced fuel pipes now sorted. hope this helps anyone with similar noises.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Four days in the garage and the engine out sounds a bit drastic! Did they say that the replacement fuel pipes were essential? I'd rather have the owl hooting occasionally as long as i knew that the car wasn't going to break down.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
four days in the garage and a R8 as a hire car i would say no like hahaha ops theres me in my dream world again damn...

glad you got it sorted!! :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
My A5 2L 2011 is making an owl noise during the first few minutes of a cold start up. It completely goes away after 5 minutes. Seems to happen louder in cold weather.
I was going to say it sounds like a turkey gobbling or wind rushing through a partially closed window, but found this thread and the owl noise sounds spot on lol

Thought it might be the power steering or gearbox initially.
Fuel return system issue?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Could be worse......:thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts