Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. I'm in the process of ordering an 09 S5 right now, and the dealer is asking me to sign an "Intent of Use" form that says I cannot export this car within a year. On there, it asks for my SSN. Did you guys have to do this when ordering? I'm ok with filling the form and sign it, but I don't really want to leave my SSN with them. But they told me it's mandatory. It has something to do with homeland security and money laundry for car purchase after 911.

Just wondering if this seems normal.

Thanks,

dK

·
Registered
103 Posts
umm, most definitely never heard of this. and i bought my car in NYC, the homeland security capital of the world. sounds suspect to me, and i dont really see how they can require your SSN just to place an ORDER. i'm not even sure i ever gave my SSN to my dealer at any point in the purchase process (i didn't take financing).

·
Registered
479 Posts
I did this at my dealer, Rusnak in Pasadena. As for the SSN, don't they already have it in many other places? If you ask they are required to provide you with a copy of their privacy/terms of use policy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It sounds like they are data mining. I bought my S5 in Reno and when they asked me for my SSN I told them where to go. Since I was paying cash, I told them they could call my bank to see if I had the funds. They were ok with that. Unless you are financing with Audi, they should not have any need for your SSN.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Since I was paying cash, I told them they could call my bank to see if I had the funds.
I paid cash for my car too. However, the dealership still required SSN on one of the forms that I had to sign. I think it was a form required by the State of Texas. I'll check later this evening when I get home and provide an update here on the actual form name. I'm not sure if it was an "Intent of Use" form, though.

Like you drjer1, I initially pushed back on providing my SSN, as I never give that out unless it's absolutely required. And in my particular case, supposedly it was required.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My GF bought a new A4 at Rusnak in Pasadena and she also had to sign the form. I don't think that this is for "data mining" or any other alterior purposes. Rather, the intent is to prevent ppl from buying cars in the US and shipping them to countries where the US has trade embargoes/restrictions. Example: Somali national/us resident buys A8 in the US and then ships it off to Somalia saying he is moving back home. The item is not an "export" and thus he can do that.

I can also see why homeland security would have an issue with this practice in terms of money laundering and such.

Anyway, this is not a big deal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would think that this might be Audi request. With the low $ exchange rate many people try to buy rigs in states and then teke them to other countries (for their own use or for sale). I have been asked by some of my homies multiple times; they all want big ass SUVs with micro engines (less than 2.5L) :) which are not available in US.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'll check later this evening when I get home and provide an update here on the actual form name. I'm not sure if it was an "Intent of Use" form, though.
As it turns out, the form I provided my SSN on appears to be some type of contract/form created by the dealership. There is no title on the document. It just has the dealership's name and address at the top. There's an area on the form for trade-in car details, new car price, taxes, fees, deposit amount, etc. Looking over this form now, I'm thinking I probably could have refused to have given them my SSN. That form is definitely not any type of regulatory form.

Of course, keep in mind that at the time, the only thing standing between me and the keys to my shiny new car (that I had waited 5 months for) was me completing various types of paperwork such as this. I was so anxious to get out of there and start driving my car that I wasn't wanting to prolong things any further by arguing with my dealer about it.

I did not find any "Intent of Use" form with all the copies of the paperwork that I received.

·
Registered
83 Posts
An Intent of Use form is pushed when the customer is suspect of being a wholesaler. Manufacturers get funny about hot cars and ask dealers to make sure they don't fall into the hands of wholesalers - this form is how a dealer protects himself. Some dealers will have every buyer sign one on some models - I wouldn't worry about it....unless you plan to flip this car for a profit.

SSN are necessary for the Privacy Act and for DMV purposes.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Haha! LMAO!!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.