Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my car ordered today:D

The dealer had already indicated approx £1200 off my £42k spec but I did some research and gave him the option of matching prices from Autobytel and UKNewcars.

The result is a 7% discount off the OTR price = £2992.85 discount

OTR Price £42,755.00 - After discount amount paid = £39762.00 :eek: just scared myself again

Spec is below

3.0 TDI Quattro Tiptronic
Quartz Grey
Heated Black Milano Sports seats
19" Y Alloys
Navigation Plus
Bang & Olufsen
AMI
DAB Radio
Mobile Phone prep - high
Parking Plus
Hill-hold assist
Advanced Key
Folding Mirrors
Interior Lighting Package
Cruise

They are currently unsure of delivery times but there are rumours that production is catchng up with demand (hence discount) so I'm hoping it's not too long.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They are currently unsure of delivery times but there are rumours that production is catchng up with demand (hence discount) so I'm hoping it's not too long.[/QUOTe/]

LMHO :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are currently unsure of delivery times but there are rumours that production is catchng up with demand (hence discount) so I'm hoping it's not too long.[/QUOTe/]

LMHO :D
Thanks for the show of confidence Pink Panther:rolleyes: - I'm always an optimist.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Excellent discount, good work. Shows doing a little bit of research and the dealers will come down.

Lets hope the delivery goes smoothly, keep us posted.

Im going to guess at a 3rd/4th October pick up. Lets hope its sooner :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
It might be sooner than you think!
I ordered mine 30th May and just had a call to say it will be made the week commencing 7th july.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is this possible in the US? It seems when I've ordered a car before you can't deal at the time of order..especially for an '09 here because prices haven't even been released. Any tips for me getting a good price on a custom order '09 A5 right now?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
soledoc, chances of this happening in the US are very slim at the moment, given the demand for the A5/S5 and the very limited allocations that dealerships get. There's really no incentive for the dealerships to make any sort of deal with you right now. Of course, there will be exceptions to this in certain parts of the country. But in general, I suspect you would be hard pressed to find a dealer willing to knock much (if any) off the price of the car right now. Just read some of the posts regarding what's happening in the LA market (i.e., prices marked up due to "market adjustment") to see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Marmin,
That's a great discount - fantastic for you! Sadly when I ordered my car 8 months ago (mid October 07) my dealer was then only allocated 2 cars per month for ordering, so their response to me asking for any kind of discount was "If we don't sell it to you at list price, we'll sell it to someone else - your choice!" When I mentioned the discounts available through online companies (nothing like as much as you can get now, but still below list) my dealer's response was "Fine, go ahead, but expect at least a 6-8 month delivery delay as most of the internet dealers don't actually have any allocated build slots and they have to wait their turn."

My dealer promised delivery 7-8 weeks after ordering, and he was absolutely true to his word (order actually went to Audi on 1 Nov 07 as I'd missed his allocation for October, car delivered to dealer on 21 Dec 07 and delivered to me on 2 Jan 08). I've heard of others in the UK waiting much longer than this, but you should be better off ordering through a dealer than from an internet company.

·
Registered
479 Posts
That is very true with regard to internet companies Scratch.

The way it works is that all dealers are given an allocation for the year and for a car like the A5, a dealer would pre-order their whole allocation for the year as they know they will sell them all. As customers come along for the cars and they are specced up and the car has a customer name next to it, they will jump forward in the production line past another dealer's car that has not actually yet been sold. Hence mine has moved from an estimated delivery date of 14th October to a build week of 28 which mean it will be at the dealers for mid august.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Booster - that's pretty much what I was told by one of the sales guy's, although another inexperienced one did tell me that the speeding up of orders has also been assisted by the decrease in order rate - in his view due to the general credit crunch/bad news stories. I'm just thankful he told me that just before we started haggling :D

He also suggested to me that it was likely to be delivered in August but I didn't really believe him.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think you can get 8% if you try hard, that's what the trade are getting!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think you can get 8% if you try hard, that's what the trade are getting!!
I got 7.75% but a colleague of mine is having a Q7 so the sales guy got a nice order!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I'm a good customer and got 8!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Marmin,
I placed my order and received a discount of just over 6% or £1,800 off the total price which I thought was really good, particularly given the lead times for delivery - order placed April 08 and delivery September/October 08.

When I ordered my last car, the new TT Coupe, I received no discount or incentive. The order was placed in November 06 and I took delivery in April 07.

My dealership now tells me that to order an A5 now, delivery would not take place until next year. This leadtime is also similar to TT Coupe orders made today.

However, it is interesting that there seems to be little incentive or discount opportunity with the TT, yet on an A5, the majority of people on this forum have received a discount.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My dealership now tells me that to order an A5 now, delivery would not take place until next year. This leadtime is also similar to TT Coupe orders made today.

However, it is interesting that there seems to be little incentive or discount opportunity with the TT, yet on an A5, the majority of people on this forum have received a discount.
Jay B 007 - That's a good point you make and it has also baffled me as to why a discount is available with such long lead times. Personally, if there had been no discount available I would still have ordered so they gave the discount unnecessarily.

My only thought on this is that they see the competition to the A5 (3 series coupe etc.) as a greater threat than the TT competition. As a manufacturer it is difficult to predict these things but the TT sales history does support the "no or minimal discount" argument. Perhaps they're not quite so sure yet of the A5's on-going appeal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a far better customer and got almost 10% discount (but we already have 2x S8, a Q7 and a Porsche on the company :) so the dealer is really friendly with us).

On the down side... I had to wait almost 7 months for the car (ordered it in January and I am expecting delivery in a couple of days)... so win some, lose some.

Speaking of losing... I did lost my licence for speeding so I have to wait 1 more week till I get my licence back... it will kill me to see the car at the dealer and not be able to drive it :mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Delivery Times

Same spec but Deep Sea Blue
Ordered on MAY 22 and was notified yesterday July 16 that it was at my local dealer. :)
Was most impressed considering the warnings that there was hold ups on
A5 with tiptronic boxes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Marmin

Before I ordered my A5, I always remember reading somewhere that Audi were targeting 8,000 unit sales of the A5 during its first full year of production (2008) - not sure if this was just the UK or another market segment. I am not in the car selling business but when I test drove the A5 I was speaking to the salesman who commented that this targeted level of sales compared with the likes of BMW and their 3 series coupe was low (their targets are apparently in the tens of thousands). He also commented that Audi's philosophy is not to flood the market with models and hence allow Audi cars to retain higher values.

I am not quite sure why it was particularly easy to negotiate the discount I received on the A5 - is it the case that Audi are providing dealerships with flexibility in order to entice customers given the current economic downturn? Or is it down to good customer relations? I was actually on the phone to my salesman this morning and I was asking him how things are going. He was telling me that it is a bit quieter given the credit crunch, etc but the main problem he is facing is getting certain models for customers and these were mainly the A3 and A5, and consequently business was being lost as people are not willing to wait prolonged periods of time for delivery.

Like you, I would have still ordered my A5, discount or no discount.

I would say the BMW 3 series coupe is one of the main threats to the A5. However, I personally feel the A5 is a car which gives you so much more than BMW in terms of distinguished looks, interior cabin layout and quality, and most importantly the future residual value is much higher which from an investment perspective is great news.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts