Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my S5. The stealership I went to says 3 months wait, I guess we'll see. They are the largest stealer in the Southwest, so maybe they get more allocations.

Anyways, I'm sorting through ideas about switching the wheels. I have to drive some crummy roads, so I'm thinking that I'd be safer with 19" wheels and maybe the 265/35 which actually has a slightly bigger sidewall than the stockers. Has anyone installed 19" aftermarket wheels on their car? Any pics?

Also, if I went with 20's and went with the 275/30 wouldn't the added width make the vehicle louder as the tire wears. I have a 540i sport right now and I can't find a tire that won't cup like a mud tire in the course of 10K miles or so. The rears are 265's and the fronts 245's.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I just ordered my S5. The stealership I went to says 3 months wait, I guess we'll see. They are the largest stealer in the Southwest, so maybe they get more allocations.

Anyways, I'm sorting through ideas about switching the wheels. I have to drive some crummy roads, so I'm thinking that I'd be safer with 19" wheels and maybe the 265/35 which actually has a slightly bigger sidewall than the stockers. Has anyone installed 19" aftermarket wheels on their car? Any pics?

Also, if I went with 20's and went with the 275/30 wouldn't the added width make the vehicle louder as the tire wears. I have a 540i sport right now and I can't find a tire that won't cup like a mud tire in the course of 10K miles or so. The rears are 265's and the fronts 245's.

Thanks in advance for the help.
If you ever want to take mine for a spin you're more than welcome to do so.
I'm running 20's with 275/30/20 which you are asking about....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
busipaln, I've driven sizzle's car and purposely drove on some bumpy roads that I was familiar to test the ride quality (compared to the 19's on my A5). Even with the lowering springs on his car, I honestly thought that the ride quality was not significantly altered.

All that banter I had heard about teeth fillings falling out if you drive your car with 20's is just not true. That might be the case for other Audi models, but definitely not with the suspension design of the A5/S5. I was pleasantly surprised with how comfortable the ride quality remained. And keep in mind, this opinion is coming from an A5 owner whose car has a somewhat more "cushy" ride than the S5 to begin with.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
...and I also have the more aggressive 1.3" drop so if you lower 1" it will be a bit better even....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I have put a deposit down for S5, at the moment its for a Phantom Black version with the standard wheels. However my dealership called me to tell me they have a new one coming in during the week with the exact spec i have ordered except its the grey pearl version with the 20" RS wheels on there. - I thought i would have a look, but just not to sure on the grey pearl.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you ever want to take mine for a spin you're more than welcome to do so.
I'm running 20's with 275/30/20 which you are asking about....
sizzle, I'd like to meet you sometime and actually see what 20's with 275's looks like. I don't necessarily need to drive your car, but I wouldn't mind going for a ride in it. I am particularly interested in how your car compares to my current 540i. When I test drive the demo car back in Oct, I didn't think that the S5 had the same kind of torque that the 540i, although it was definitely faster. I'm thinking my old 540i probably rides pretty rough as compared to the S5. I'll shoot you a PM to see when we can get together.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
off topic ... but interesting to see that another 540 driver goes audi s5 route. ...
So what are your thoughts on how they compare. I plan to start a thread with my assessment of the comparison, but it will have to wait until I have the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So what are your thoughts on how they compare. I plan to start a thread with my assessment of the comparison, but it will have to wait until I have the car.
Well, I found Audi S6 and S5 to be a natural step up from BMW 540 because there are no BMWs right now that I can drive.
New 5 series looks like crap in and out, and I never actually drove one because I just can't get over the design.
6 series is too expensive for what it is and I am not sold on the design either.

335 coupe is the only car that BMW makes tat I like but I can not drive it because I am too tall (6.2) for it, I bump my head on the top panel.

Audis are beautiful cars. They become , especially with s5, more exclusive then BMWs that you see everywhere now.

I took an s5 for a test drive and enjoyed it very much. Interestingly enough - when I drove it I thought the car is great, but the full realization came only later I say how amazing it is.
What blew me away was how well it handled on wet. It goes like on rails in corners and when I floor it the tires don't just spin like in my 540. I loved the s5 for its quatro - what a drag to drive a 540 on snow.
It is surely hard to compare a 7 year old 540 with a brand new s5, but still .. what I felt was the s5 is more solid then my 540 (may be time to change the shoks on it :) ). The steering response on s5 was sure and precise compared to 540. The car felt more surefooted then 5 series, that's a fact. It was closer to the feeling I got from a 3 series BMW. S5 felt heavier then 335 in everything, but also smoother. s5 is not a car I would take on a track but rather drive in the city or highway. I could go on but in essence - these are my thoughts.

To be frank though .... every time I drive my 540 I think - damn what a great car.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I found Audi S6 and S5 to be a natural step up from BMW 540 because there are no BMWs right now that I can drive.
New 5 series looks like crap in and out, and I never actually drove one because I just can't get over the design.
6 series is too expensive for what it is and I am not sold on the design either.

335 coupe is the only car that BMW makes tat I like but I can not drive it because I am too tall (6.2) for it, I bump my head on the top panel.

Audis are beautiful cars. They become , especially with s5, more exclusive then BMWs that you see everywhere now.

I took an s5 for a test drive and enjoyed it very much. Interestingly enough - when I drove it I thought the car is great, but the full realization came only later I say how amazing it is.
What blew me away was how well it handled on wet. It goes like on rails in corners and when I floor it the tires don't just spin like in my 540. I loved the s5 for its quatro - what a drag to drive a 540 on snow.
It is surely hard to compare a 7 year old 540 with a brand new s5, but still .. what I felt was the s5 is more solid then my 540 (may be time to change the shoks on it :) ). The steering response on s5 was sure and precise compared to 540. The car felt more surefooted then 5 series, that's a fact. It was closer to the feeling I got from a 3 series BMW. S5 felt heavier then 335 in everything, but also smoother. s5 is not a car I would take on a track but rather drive in the city or highway. I could go on but in essence - these are my thoughts.

To be frank though .... every time I drive my 540 I think - damn what a great car.
So the S5 handles better, but what about the power? I know the S5 has a higher output engine and its faster, but I don't feel like it gives you the same seat of the pants feel of the 540i. I'm perdy sure that feeling is the product of a very low rpm and flat torque curve. Any thoughts on this? How is the wind noise in comparison?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My last car was a 650 trust me the S5 is more than capable of delivering a more 'Seat of the pants ride'..I loved both my 6's but after 6 months with the S5 its the superior car.....;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So the S5 handles better, but what about the power? I know the S5 has a higher output engine and its faster, but I don't feel like it gives you the same seat of the pants feel of the 540i. I'm perdy sure that feeling is the product of a very low rpm and flat torque curve. Any thoughts on this? How is the wind noise in comparison?
s5 feels faster then 540. It also feels smoother. It feels different then 540 for sure. BMW 540 feels a bit rougher and sportier somehow or may be just less refined then s5. the flat torque curve creates the smothness of s5 among other factors. thus it lacks the explosiveness of 540 at 4K RPM and up.
they are very different cars. I love both.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Help Me Pick!!

I thought I'd spare everyone of a totally new thread and ask this question in here. I've got a line on a decent deal for the HRE MonoBlock's off of the GMG car. I like the wheels alot and since my car will be white too, I think this looks like a nice combo. However, these wheels don't have a lip. I'm not sure if its really all that big of a deal for me though. I'm kinda torn between these and some DPE S10's like on Quattrings' car. So what do you guys think? Which will look better on Ibis White? I've attached pics to help.

Sorry Quattrings, hope you don't mind me posting a pic of your ride!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I thought I'd spare everyone of a totally new thread and ask this question in here. I've got a line on a decent deal for the HRE MonoBlock's off of the GMG car. I like the wheels alot and since my car will be white too, I think this looks like a nice combo. However, these wheels don't have a lip. I'm not sure if its really all that big of a deal for me though. I'm kinda torn between these and some DPE S10's like on Quattrings' car. So what do you guys think? Which will look better on Ibis White? I've attached pics to help.

I actually like both, hard choice really, but you can get the HRE Monoblock in a similar style wheel from HRE with a lip on it if you really want the lip.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hello Lads,
Had my factory wheels and tires mounted (finally) yesterday. Would you believe I cross country skied last Sunday? Want to report the standard Dunlops feel super. 3rd to 4th gear upshift at exactly 90 at redline.
In other news, chance I'll be at Audi Club USA's driver school at Grattan MI on Saturday. Anyone else on this side of the pond done one of these?
S.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sounds like you need the HRE 890R. It is the perfect fusion of both of those wheels and I think it will look very hot on an S5. It was actually my 2nd choice.

Be prepared to pay though.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like you need the HRE 890R. It is the perfect fusion of both of those wheels and I think it will look very hot on an S5. It was actually my 2nd choice.

Be prepared to pay though.....

That's the thing, if I don't take the special deal I can get with the monoblok's, then I'm prob not going to go with HRE because they are much more $$$ than DPE's. That's why I limited the choices between the monoblok's and the S10's. So what does everyone thing between only these wheels?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tough one, but I think I would have to lean more towards the DPE wheels, love the look of having that lip on a wheel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.