Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Clint kindly sorted out the deals for the Forged wheels (Thanks again mate, saved a lot of money becuase of you) I finally took the plunge and put an order through for a set of PS-Essen wheels in 20 x 10" all round.

Now before I confirm the order, can those with with 20s on their S5s let me know if 10" wide wheels all round is going to be ok? Using the miata tyre size calculator it has come back to me with 285/25/20 size tyre to keep the overall diameter of the wheels the same as the stock wheel with its tyres.

Am I going to have any issues with rubbing - the car hasn't been lowered yet, but will most likely get 1" drop with H&R springs not long after the wheels come, I would have loved to have got coilovers but funds are now lacking with the new exhaust coming within a matter of day (fingers crossed).

Now for the final bit.....wait for it.......the finish of the wheels will be in ruby red chrome, now some of you (actually probably 95% of you, may be even 99.9% lol) are going to think 'Oh no what has he done', 'Yuk', 'This guy is crazy', 'No style' blah blah blah but I loved the finish when I seen it and just wanted my wheels to have the same finish.

I've attached a picture so you can see what i'm on about.

P.S Please don't crucify :p me or exile me from the forum :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Wow! That's a bold choice of colour!! I do love the finish but as you say unsure about using the finish on wheels for an S5 (would look great on my mountain bike!)... I will reserve judgement 'til I see them though. Will they be black spokes too, like on the bee-em in the pics?

Do you have info on the weight of the wheels? I'd be interested to know if you have the infor to hand.

...as for the size, I think some of the other threads on this topic recommended 9.5 for the front and I'm sure the profiles were 30s, even if this isn't the closest match to the original rolling diameter, I think it was within acceptable tolerances... take a look on some of the other threads.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i guess you already know what common sentiment is going to be on these wheels, but i just want to add "why"? why would you take your beautiful S5 that is 100% claaaasssss and do this to it? even that M3 in the pic, which is a much more aggressive/racey-ish looking car looks somewhat ridiculous with those wheels on it. anyhow, it's your car and you spent good money and the only person who it has to please is you, so if it makes you happy thats what counts!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Better stock pile some tooth brushes, there going to be a nightmare to keep clean lol! I have to say its very brave of you lol.

As your going all out on the wheels i think you really need a big spoiler too, a roof scoop, bonnet with scoop, ALL carbon fibre of course, some vynals, and some under floor lights. NEED FOR SPEED STYLE! :D what about redoing the interior with your familys tartan? lol crazy Scottish people and there skirts!

Anyway seriously though, not my choice but cant wait to see them fitted.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! That's a bold choice of colour!! I do love the finish but as you say unsure about using the finish on wheels for an S5 (would look great on my mountain bike!)... I will reserve judgement 'til I see them though. Will they be black spokes too, like on the bee-em in the pics?

Do you have info on the weight of the wheels? I'd be interested to know if you have the infor to hand.

...as for the size, I think some of the other threads on this topic recommended 9.5 for the front and I'm sure the profiles were 30s, even if this isn't the closest match to the original rolling diameter, I think it was within acceptable tolerances... take a look on some of the other threads.
LOL @ (would look great on my mountain bike!)...

No they will be fully ruby red ala 996 GT3 RS, I had considered black center but then didn't see the point as you can't really see the wheel design.

Did Quattrings not run 10" wide all the way around?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better stock pile some tooth brushes, there going to be a nightmare to keep clean lol! I have to say its very brave of you lol.

As your going all out on the wheels i think you really need a big spoiler too, a roof scoop, bonnet with scoop, ALL carbon fibre of course, some vynals, and some under floor lights. NEED FOR SPEED STYLE! :D what about redoing the interior with your familys tartan? lol crazy Scottish people and there skirts!

Anyway seriously though, not my choice but cant wait to see them fitted.
We Scotts are brave people, as for the interior, well its red already so its matching :p .

Attached is the need for speed S5 (hood scoop and all) you described that I hope to one day have...Not! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ok looking at the thread and a few other places, it seems 285 would be fine on the back I think 275/30/20 all round seems to be a better choice.

Can anyone else confirm this for me?
275/30 in the rear already rubs depending on brand+curvature of your tire of choice. Recommended: Falkens or Toyos for their more curved sidewalls.

Good luck, iForgery, has been known for near to non-existent customer service, frequent leaks, faulty valve stems, and fading/peeling finishes.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
275/30 in the rear already rubs depending on brand+curvature of your tire of choice. Recommended: Falkens or Toyos for their more curved sidewalls.

Good luck, iForgery, has been known for near to non-existent customer service, frequent leaks, faulty valve stems, and fading/peeling finishes.
275 rubs on the rear?? Is everyone else with 20s experiencing this too?

I had planned to use VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA tyres.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I gotta agree with ian's description... bold, definitely.

Guess we'll have to wait and see how they look on the car, but I really dont think they'll be to my taste.

Nice choice of tyre, quite rare, and they look good as well. Tred looks like the Yokohama Parada. I'd rather ditch the looks though and go with the Eagle F1 Asymmetrics.

·
Registered
457 Posts
275 rubs on the rear?? Is everyone else with 20s experiencing this too?

I had planned to use VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA tyres.
If you go with any other tire brand besides Toyo T1Rs or Falkens, yes, it will rub with DPE 20x10s (aggressive offset). And since iForgery normally tends to offer big lips on most of their wheel applications, I presumed the problem translate across all custom forged wheels...offset/wheel width is not rocket science.

I'm sure if u go the conservative 9 / 9.5 widths, there shouldn't be any issues...but that just doesn't do it for me, i like fat wide rears.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did a bit of research on the I-Forged after you gave the heads up, seems they have had a lot of bad press on many forums, but they've also had quite a bit of good press.

I am a bit worried now though as the wheels have to come from the states and im in the UK, I can only imagine what sort of issues I may have if I had problems with the wheels. I know you can find bad press about anyone on the net but it's still worrying.

I'm actually now in two minds if I should continue on with my order or not. :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did a bit of research on the I-Forged after you gave the heads up, seems they have had a lot of bad press on many forums, but they've also had quite a bit of good press.

I am a bit worried now though as the wheels have to come from the states and im in the UK, I can only imagine what sort of issues I may have if I had problems with the wheels. I know you can find bad press about anyone on the net but it's still worrying.

I'm actually now in two minds if I should continue on with my order or not. :confused:
If you are still up in the air, regarding the iForged, then please seriously consider 360 forged. The customer service is really second to none. I know a couple people here on the forum have 360s, and are quite pleased (as am I, having since received them about a month ago.)
http://www.360forged.com/

btw, the red accent will be a great look....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hard call SAJ i can see difficulties arrising if they give you any problems with not being in the UK but thats the chance you will just have to take if you decide to go for them,personally they dont do it for either but hey everyone to there own.Until they are fitted who is anyone to judge.

Good luck with whatever you decide :confused:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

iForged has come a long way over the last five years. They used to have very shoddy wheels and were known for knocking off wheel designs from more prominent brands. Having been very close to alot of these wheel manufacturers over the years, I would say you can rest easy as alot of the "bad press" you are hearing is residual press from their bad years.

275/30 with Toyo T1R will not rub but is ever so slightly stretched. If you want the look to be perfect, go with a 9.5" wheel or a 285/25 tire.

Now, as far as that red barrel........

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right well in regards to all my questions Vincent Wong from I-Forged he has recently done an S5 with the exact wheels I want doing 10" wide on the back and 9" on the front. Tyres they fitted were 295/25/20 on the back and 255/30/20 on the front. He said they fitted perfectly.

Attached are pics of the car they have done.

Due to the extra cost involved an extra $1000 for the set, I've changed the wheel centre to matt black but retained the ruby red lip/accent.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
^^

Yep, that's Migster's car.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Has anyone tried Nitto NT555 275/30/20 on their S5?
I have Nitto NT555 245/40/18 on my GTO and I like the tires a lot so I was thinking of doing Nittos on the S5 also.

Tonny

·
Registered
750 Posts
Has anyone tried Nitto NT555 275/30/20 on their S5?
I have Nitto NT555 245/40/18 on my GTO and I like the tires a lot so I was thinking of doing Nittos on the S5 also.

Tonny
Hey Tony.

I heard NT555's sing a bit after some miles, do you find that statement to be true?

Right well in regards to all my questions Vincent Wong from I-Forged he has recently done an S5 with the exact wheels I want doing 10" wide on the back and 9" on the front. Tyres they fitted were 295/25/20 on the back and 255/30/20 on the front. He said they fitted perfectly.

Attached are pics of the car they have done.

Due to the extra cost involved an extra $1000 for the set, I've changed the wheel centre to matt black but retained the ruby red lip/accent.
GO SAJ!! I like the wheels (I prefer the new color choice -- black with red :D ), Vincent told me that they don't do the 10" all-the-way-around, so I'm doing the 20x9 (f) and 20x10 (r). It is a great deal...more people should go for it. Congratulations.

C.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts