Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I've ordered my new 2.0 TFSI 180bhp ready for delivery in May sometime!

I searched around the forum a bit but couldn't find any info on how I should run the car in once I get it, so any help would be appreciated!

Here are the specs and a sample pic:

* Ibis White
* S-line
* B&O, AMI
* Proline WAX (concert, alarm, parking sensor, cruise, ski bag)
* Panorama sunroof
* 20" 7-spoke wheels

This is the car i'm upgrading from (Audi A3 2.0 TDI, 19" bbs ck)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi and welcome. Better add your location before TXcarguy wakes up and asks you !

There has been much debate on here about running cars in, with one camp saying keep it below 3000 rpm for so long etc and others saying put the engine through it's paces early on. I am a follower of the latter camp. As someone once said, " drive it like you stole it " !

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Better add your location before TXcarguy wakes up and asks you !
*yawn* (rubs eyes after just waking up) :D

mjepson, welcome to the forum and congrats on soon becoming an A5 owner! :)

As nike mentioned, the break-in (or run-in) procedure has been batted back and forth quite a bit on here. Just used the Advanced Search feature to search 'by thread title only' and use "breaking" as your keyword. You'll find several threads on the topic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So picked up my car today, and drove the 500km from Oslo back home to Stavanger where I got to test the car good on mountain roads of varying conditions. I was a bit unsure about white, but the car looked cracking with the 20" wheels when I came to pick it up in the taxi, and it looks much better in real life than on pics...

I was very pleased with the car handling, stability and comfort compared to my lowered A3. The S-line suspension is quite good imho, and although I was thinking of putting on some KW V1 before, I am having my doubts now, as the car is handling so good and I am afraid of spoiling that.

As for power... I have been driving a 2.0 TDI tuned to 180bhp/390nm for 2 years, so it is going to take some getting used to with the new TFSI engine. I am kinda missing the push I got in the TDI from 2200 revs and upwards, but I think I have to get used to the new driving style, where I use my 2nd and 3rd gear much more actively.

I have however just sent off and order for the KOCH tuning module which should put the power up to 220bhp/380nm, which should give me some more boost and responsiveness at lower revs.

Here is a quick iphone pic on the way home :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Very nice with the pano roof on white.

Running in - there is a bit in the User Manual about take it easy (3/4 power) for 1000km then gradually push to full power up to 1500km - so a bit of both, do not rag it to start with but make sure you vary the power and revs fairly early in the engine life.

With my auto I drove it in D where it changes up very conservatively, for 1000km, then changed to S to vary rev points etc a bit for 500km, then drove in manual mode gradually getting to red line in some gears and upping speeds (where lawful). Now it is back into good old D. No idea if I did the right thing or not.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Car looks swet mate. Contrast to the pana roof is awesome - shame I ran out of cash when speccing mine.

I've got a Koch module for my 180 and presently having problems getting the correct loom for the unit from the uk supplier - Sanspeed. Please, if you have five minutes when you receive the box - could you take a photo of the loom for me?

Many thanks in advance

Ian

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks great!

I am awaiting my own 2.0T A5 S-line and think those 20" RS4 wheels look fantastic. I hope the new wheel design for the US S-lines (currently called only "S-line wheel") is that RS4 design.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car looks swet mate. Contrast to the pana roof is awesome - shame I ran out of cash when speccing mine.

I've got a Koch module for my 180 and presently having problems getting the correct loom for the unit from the uk supplier - Sanspeed. Please, if you have five minutes when you receive the box - could you take a photo of the loom for me?

Many thanks in advance

Ian
If you tell me what the loom is then sure i'll snap a pic... :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure i'll post some pics of the install. Should be arriving in a few days as it was sent yesterday from Germany.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm eager to get it as well, as I do feel this engine is not as powerful as I expected. My 2.0 TDI 140bhp tuned to 180bhp/380nm in my Audi A3 was way more fun to drive, and had a serious punch at 2500.

On the 2.0 TFSI you have to really push it beyond 3000 to get any grunt from the engine, but since it is all so smoothly delivered compared to my A3, it feels as though it isn't so powerful.

I know the driving style on a petrol is different because of the lack of low end torque, but I would have thought the TFSI with 320nm torque would be a bit more responsive.

KOCH Tuning module to the rescue (hopefully!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey mjepson,

i'm from canada, and i also ordered a 2010 ibis white a5 2.0T with s-line package.

i was wondering what the exhaust is like? is it like the a4 2.0T two on one side, or like the a5 3.2 one on each side?

thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks great!

I am awaiting my own 2.0T A5 S-line and think those 20" RS4 wheels look fantastic. I hope the new wheel design for the US S-lines (currently called only "S-line wheel") is that RS4 design.

I too ordered a Ibis White 2.0 TFSI S-Line and I had the dealer check on what wheels were being included with the S-Line package. He said for the US market we would be getting the same 19" Y-spoke wheels as before. I like the RS4 wheels too and I'm hoping the dealer was wrong. But the Euro spec'd cars are so different from what we can get here in the US I think we're stuck with the Y-spokes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.