Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to this forum.....have been active on Club Lexus for a while....currently have a 06 GS430.

I ordered the following car yesterday.....delivery should be in early Dec:

2009 S5 - six speed
Phantom Black Pearl
Pearl Silver Interior
Vavona Assam Wood
Tech
Nav
B&O

The dealer had a non Drive Select S5 and a Drive Select A5. I am struggling with wether to add this option to the car. I spent all weekend driving a "certified" 2008 S5 without the drive select and enjoyed the car just fine. I also drove the A5 drive select....could not convince me it is a real difference. I have read some forums that swear by it. When I look at the $3,000 cost I am not sure if it is justified. Wouldn't the car handle better with aftermarket coilovers? I am looking for a good techincal reason to purchase it.

I am not taking a loan on the car or leasing....so it is $3,000 out of pocket. I tried a search on this topic and didn't find much, is there a forum I missed? I would assume you can buy a BBK or something with this 3K in lieu of driev select and have a better car.

I tried to find a picture of my exterior / interior combo. Does anyone have one to post for me?

As far as an exhaust....the car is too queit. I almost ordered a Merc C63 just because of the exhaust note (then I cam to me senses). Is there a high quality aftermarket exhaust that provides around the same exhaust note as the C63?

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to being part of the forum

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congrats on the car. I agree that stock exhaust is too quiet - esp compare to C63. I was amazed how good C63 sounded but I don't want to drive a four door sedan - especially not a C series. There are plenty of aftermarket exhaust options, albeit expensive. I think the lowest priced option is offered by AWE. Sounds much better than stock. Youtube has several videos of the system.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Izzone!

Regarding Drive Select, I do not have that option on my '09 S5 and did not want it because I was planning to (and did) install coilovers. I'm beyond satisfied with the handling and drive comfort with the coilovers. While some folks think Drive Select is the best thing since sliced bread, I'm one of those who would probably just set it once and never change the setting (exaggerating a bit here of course). So for me, it would have been a waste of $3,000. But, that's just me and my two cents' worth.

You should be able to find photos of your color combo in this thread.

Helpful hint: Try using the "advanced search" feature to search 'by thread title only' using your desired keyword. You'll find plenty of threads discussing exhausts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Izzone-congrats on your order. I have three dealers looking to get me an allocation. Hard to believe that the MY 09 are just coming out and these dealers have no clue when they are going to get an allocation for a S5.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have drive select in the car i ordered and i believe i'll be able to set the suspension and throttle response to any combination i like through the MMI so that kinda justifies it for me. drove an s5 with drive select and there is a noticable difference in each mode. i mean it is nice to have a "comfort" mode when u're with family or friends and a "lets see what this thing can really do" mode when u're by urself.

oh and if u guys dont mind me asking, how come u r all getting ur orders so quickly?! i ordered mine at the beginning of july and its only gonna get here in feb 2009! should i call my dealer and question him about it?i mean the waiting time is significantly and ridiculously longer than most people's in this forum.:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 S5

Just registered today after reading & enjoying all the threads & posts. I ordered my S5 (Meteor Gray, Pearl Interior, A/T, Stainless Steel Inlays & all the packages except Adaptive Speed Control) in June and was told I would get delivery in September. HAH!! Within a week of giving the dealer my $5000 deposit the new ETA was October. Now I am due to receive my S5 the week of Thanksgiving (Nov. 24th). Before they started production I had changed the interior from black to pearl so I was told that would cause addition delays. I thought that maybe I was being duped by the dealer so I contacted AUDI USA. They are very responsive and I recommend contacting them if you have any questions. I was told that in June the lead-time was about 3 months, but now, due to the unprecedented demand, lead-time is currently 6-9 months.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have that same car ....

but without the Drive Select. I've attached a few photos so you can see the Vavona Wood, silver interior combination. The interior is really much more of an off-white than silver color. I decided not to get Drive Select for several reasons. First, because Audi hadn't set the price at the time I needed to finalize the order; second because I don't anticipate tracking the car and so didn't see a reason to mess with the standard factory ride and when I test-drove the car i didn't think it was harsh; third because I plan on keeping the car a long time, so don't want the potential problems of something else to break; and fourth because I would be concerned that it would limit my ability to install after-market suspension components down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow

Thanks for the photos....I was just told my car won't be in until the second week of January.

It was real hard to make a decision on interior color since the brochure did not show that combination together. I love it though!!!!!

A couple of weeks ago I changed my order to not have drive select. I think I am going to have the Statsis coilovers installed.

Do you plan on an exhaust?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts