Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm supposed to go and put a $1,000.00 deposit on the S5. Most SoCal dealers are taking this route.

My question is, what's this for when it's not down payment, just a security deposit. Penske tells me that I can back out up until the point the car goes into production.

I'm wondering will the price change or will we agree to a price? Not sure about the process... anyone???

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
$500 - $1k seems par for the course. My dealer took $500 and said I can back out even when the car arrives on the lot. It all comes down to what you've signed, really.

Now, as far as price, you should have worked that out already. If not, you're at MSRP as things stand. What I signed says dealer invoice at delivery + 3%.

By the way, you're really buried down here in US - SW forum. Question is validly placed here, but it seems like people mainly stick to the A5 and S5 general question forums.

·
Registered
677 Posts
This is how it worked for me. $1,000 deposit with sale @ MSRP. This was months before MSRP was know so the only way to do it. Unless you have purchased a bunch of Audi's from a certian dealer or know the owner/ manager then expect MSRP. Do not go for above this though as there are plenty of dealers selling at MSRP. A current order is something like 12+ weeks delivery time as the car is very popular at the moment and not sitting on the dealers lots.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Placed my $1k down on 12/15 @ MSRP. Expected date last week of May. With the rumors and WRX's wait, I wonder if I should just order a 2009 model???? :eek:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I can forsee supply being better around Spring. The early bird orders will be filled (like mine) and production should be better with less holiday stoppages.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WRX: Can you forsee the California lottery numbers too? We can split! LOL J/K - Thanks for the glimmer of hope. I've been waiting over a year to own this car and what you say does make sense. Maybe I can even negotiate a lower price since the supply will be higher...

·
Registered
677 Posts
WRX: Can you forsee the California lottery numbers too? We can split! LOL J/K - Thanks for the glimmer of hope. I've been waiting over a year to own this car and what you say does make sense. Maybe I can even negotiate a lower price since the supply will be higher...
Good luck on the lower price. I don't see that happening just yet. Maybe summer before deals will become normal. Then again maybe not. They may keep supply just at demand levels for the first year or so.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my production got moved from week 15 to week 12 - woohoo. Can't wait for that port hold...

·
Registered
9 Posts
test drive and estimated delivery time

After weeks of itching, I finally walked into my local Audi dealer and drove both A5 and S5. Love the exterior and interior! You guys are absolutely right about pictures don't do this car justice. I drove the S5 first, was impressed by the V8's exhaust note and thrust, but the gear box seems a little notchy. When I drove the A5 next, the gear box just seems much smoother than the V8, engages flawlessly. Is this a common thing with S5, or is it just me.
The dealer wanted to push A5, telling me "you will get the car in March if you go with A5, you will have to wait 10 months for the S5". He also showed me a list of 17 people who put down deposit on S5 in October which he can not allocate cars for. He also promised me that there is no dealer markup what so ever on either car, just MSRP. I really wanted the S5's red interior, chrome mirror and quad pipe, and of course the V8 growl. How true is his statement and what is the typical wait in your neck of the woods. Thanks
BTW, I'm in Texas

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
That actually sounds pretty accurate regarding the wait times. He's probably wanting to push the A5 on you I'm guessing because they likely have some A5's scheduled to arrive in March, which may be "unsold" orders. As for the S5, dealers only receive so many allocations per month. I think I read somewhere today where a guy said his dealership is only getting 1 allocation this month and then 3 in March, followed by 4 every month after that. So, if there are 17 people already ahead of you without allocations, then you are definitely in for a long wait. It sounds like the dealer was being upfront and realistic with you.

As for the notchiness of the S5 clutch, there have been several discussions about that. (Just do a search on "jerkiness" or "notchiness".) You can read one of those discussions here.

BTW, welcome to the site. Another fellow Texan...awesome! Can you please update your location in your profile? It will help others when reading your future posts to at least know which country you're in, since A5/S5 specs tend to vary by country.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You're welcome. Should be taking delivery of my A5 toward the middle to latter part of this month.

·
Registered
677 Posts
After weeks of itching, I finally walked into my local Audi dealer and drove both A5 and S5. Love the exterior and interior! You guys are absolutely right about pictures don't do this car justice. I drove the S5 first, was impressed by the V8's exhaust note and thrust, but the gear box seems a little notchy. When I drove the A5 next, the gear box just seems much smoother than the V8, engages flawlessly. Is this a common thing with S5, or is it just me.
The dealer wanted to push A5, telling me "you will get the car in March if you go with A5, you will have to wait 10 months for the S5". He also showed me a list of 17 people who put down deposit on S5 in October which he can not allocate cars for. He also promised me that there is no dealer markup what so ever on either car, just MSRP. I really wanted the S5's red interior, chrome mirror and quad pipe, and of course the V8 growl. How true is his statement and what is the typical wait in your neck of the woods. Thanks
BTW, I'm in Texas
One thing you could do is call other dealerships in smaller markets. I know our local dealer is about 4-5 months out on a S5. A much smaller wait. $100 plane ticket and you get to break it in on your first drive home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
production moved to week 8 (2/18) so it should be built as I type this. Est dealer delivery of 4/14. Hope others are seeing their cars are coming in sooner like me :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
All you fellow OC Club members:
I feel for you, the pain of waiting and waiting. My experience started on December 8, 2007, when I made up my mind. The salesman asked me for a $2,500 deposit on an unsold A5 that was on the boat to San Diego. He said I would have 48 hours after it made the lot to finalize the deal or I could have my check back. I was reluctant, but the heart is stronger than the brain. While waiting, I visited the dealership often. I asked questions like will the diesel be coming, do the bi-xenon lights shine around corners, could I pick up the car in San Diego and where is the boat, now? I was enough of a pest that I think they rushed the delivery to February 18 and boy am I happy. I believe I have the first A5 in Arizona. I paid MSRP and it didn't hurt too much after I started up the beauty. (They haven't cashed the deposit check, yet.) Good luck and godspeed your deliveries.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like expected delivery is now week of 3/31 - better get my $$$ ready!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts