Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just got a call from my dealership (in southern cali), and they told me that there are only 2 adapters available for the AMI. Those 2 being an iPod cable and standard audio cable (the one that goes into the headphone slot). I had originally asked for a mini USB cable so i could hook up my external hd. I've read tons of posts on this forum where people have connected USB/mini USB devices to their A5's. So I'm thinking my dealership does not know much about the A5, or they purchased an aftermarket adapter.

Can anyone from the states confirm that their dealership has the USB/mini USB cable (most of the members that wrote on the mini USB/USB posts were from europe.)? If possible, could you please provide the dealership and part number of the adapter (should be on the cable)

Thanks, appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
These are the part numbers in the UK, presume the same for elsewhere:

Bluetooth Adapter For Audi MMI (A2DP Profile) - [Not Available UK]
Part: 4F0 051 510 J

USB TypeA Adapter For Audi MMI (Use with USB Memory Sticks)
Part: 4F0 051 510 G

USB TypeMini Adapter For Audi MMI (Use with USB Hard Disks)
Part: 4F0 051 510 H

Phono 3.5mm Adapter For Audi MMI (Use with headphone sockets)
Part: 4F0 051 510 F

Cable iPod Adapter For Audi MMI (4th Gen iPod iPod, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod photo, iPod video)
Part: 4F0 051 510 L

·
Registered
36 Posts
Deepmeister, I posted a query relating to the Ipod cable previously. Teh cable that came with my A5 my ipod is the cable you have indicated but doesn't work.

The cable my dealer has re-ordered is 4F0 051 510K.

R

·
Registered
366 Posts
Deepmeister, I posted a query relating to the Ipod cable previously. Teh cable that came with my A5 my ipod is the cable you have indicated but doesn't work.

The cable my dealer has re-ordered is 4F0 051 510K.

R
Interesting. Went for USB because the iPod cable as advertised does not support the newer iPod Touch, only "traditional" iPods. After you get it, would be curious to know the difference, such as will this new "K" version support the iPod Touch?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Should have new cable next week. Will try with Itouch also and let you know.

R

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2008 A5 with the USB cable in the glove box.

FYI : HDs don't work so well, they need 5v to power and the USB cable "barely" delivers it. So sometimes it works, sometimes it "disappears", sometimes it tells you a track is damaged etc, etc... (unless you decide to power it from an other source, cigarette lighter, light in the glove box and turn 12v into 5v
with a "Y" USB cable connected to the drive.)

BUT, if you use a solid state drive, USB flash drive, memory stick etc, etc it works just fine. (a tiny bit slow sometimes...)

my 2 cents

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2008 A5 with the USB cable in the glove box.

FYI : HDs don't work so well, they need 5v to power and the USB cable "barely" delivers it. So sometimes it works, sometimes it "disappears", sometimes it tells you a track is damaged etc, etc... (unless you decide to power it from an other source, cigarette lighter, light in the glove box and turn 12v into 5v

BUT, if you use a solid state drive, USB flash drive, memory stick etc, etc it works just fine. (a tiny bit slow sometimes...)

my 2 cents
Hey Jeep,

What dealership in Maryland did you receive that USB cable from? Would you happen to know the product number for that adapter? My dealership is saying that the USB/mini USB cables aren't even on the order forms for 2009.

Also, what kind of external hd do you have? How many gigs? Many A5 owners from Europe were recommending the Western Digital Passport, so I picked a 60gb.

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply, much appreciated!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
There are several types of USB drives: the ones that (might) require additional power (like the Toshiba's, etc) and the ones that don't (like the Freecom, etc). Better read the specs carefully before buying, otherwise you have to use additional power cable, etc.

Some portable disks even do NOT have any power input anymore, and only have one USB port. Probably these are all ok for using with the AUdi USB adapter as solely power source.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Audi music interface manual specifies 800 mA maximum power requirement for USB devices.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Interesting. Went for USB because the iPod cable as advertised does not support the newer iPod Touch, only "traditional" iPods. After you get it, would be curious to know the difference, such as will this new "K" version support the iPod Touch?
Deepmeister, the ipod cable supports a 3G iPhone so should support the ipod touch. Make sure it's a 2009 cable if you decide to order it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What dealership in Maryland did you receive that USB cable from? Would you happen to know the product number for that adapter? My dealership is saying that the USB/mini USB cables aren't even on the order forms for 2009.
I wouldn't know, I bought my A5 used (if you can call an 08 with 11000 miles used!!!) and the USB cable was already there. All I know is that the cable comes with the MMI / Nav option.

Also, what kind of external hd do you have? How many gigs? Many A5 owners from Europe were recommending the Western Digital Passport, so I picked a 60gb.
I first tried a LaCie and it seemed to be working. Then I went to best buy and I was buying one, going to my car in the parking lot, trying it and if it wasn't working I would bring it back and get a new one.

the only one that was working was a Toshiba 250 Gigs. But like I said it comes and goes when you start browsing files while playing a song it would just disconnect probably drawing too much power.

Since then I tried a 8 Gigs flash drive and it's working fine.

Deepmeister, the ipod cable supports a 3G iPhone so should support the ipod touch. Make sure it's a 2009 cable if you decide to order it.
I tried my iPhone and it says it doesn't recognize the device. Any ideas? do I need a different cable/module?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Did some checking and there are two types of iPod cable which may possibly explain why some people get it to work and others have problems:

iPod cable (MOST only): 4F0 051 510 L (Replaces 4F0 051 510 E)
iPod cable (CAN only): 4F0 051 510 K

If you have SatNav, you will have MOST (fibreoptic). If not, you will have CAN (wire) connections. The cable appears to be different based on MOST or CAN, so perhaps this explains it?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hard drives connected to the USB connector works in theory but you have to consider some factors to help explain why some work and some do not work:

1) When connected, a hard disk needs time for the motors to spin to full speed and then it will start to offer data to the host. This spin time is measured in seconds, from half a second to 10 seconds depending on voltage levels, current availability, and even temperature if the motor is so cold that the lubrication is sluggish. If it takes too long, the host will ignore it and move onwards to another task. This is why some drives appear to operate (lights come on, etc) but not "recognised".

2) When operating, some hard drives have a power saving "sleep" mode and will spin down the motor after some time. When you select a track, the drive is not available until it spins the motor to full speed again and the car assumes it is not present at that very moment thereby ignoring it.

3) Hard drives are mechanical and despite the best efforts of vibration-proof casings, they are not usually designed for use whilst moving. The larger the drive, the more closely packed are the data tracks. The closer the data tracks, the more likely if will have data corruption and problems from being shaken in use. Very advanced hardware will detect vibration and shake, and will then shutdown the drive as to try and prevent damage. This leads to the same issues as (2).

4) When you switch off the car, the hard disk will have its power cut at some point after you exit. Some hard disks gracefully accept a power shut down, others need to be told beforehand. Shutting off the power when the drive is not expecting it results in damage to the hard disk surface and drastically shortens the life of the hard disk.

All these points are difficult to predict when browsing shelves in a PC store, so if anyone who has satisfactory operation on all these points, it would help if they list the drives which work perfectly so others can benefit?

In terms of cost per GB, hard disk storage is certainly cheaper than USB memory sticks and more data can fit on a hard disk than a similarly priced USB stick. However, for performance and reliability, the USB stick is infinitely superior due to it being solid state (no moving parts to fail) and reasonably resilient to vibration. It also tends not to shut down since "sleep" mode does not apply to flash memory in the same way.

I have just bought some of these which are very high quality devices and exremely well built:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140327

(OCZ Rally2 USB 2.0 Dual Channel Flash Memory Drive Hi Speed 32GB)

When transferring data from my Mac, the USB memory media will warm due to the nature of writing data versus reading data. After some time, such devices can get quite hot. Unlike plastic casings, the aluminium chassis on this device acts as a very effective heat sink which meant it did not overheat with such a long writing session, unlike plastic devices.

Of course, this is in readiness for the arrival of the car. Will update this post if new information comes to light after installing in the car!

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Great info, Deepmeister!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does it matter if I connect an external HD that has a mini USB port, to an Audi AMI USB cable with the USB adapter that comes with my external?

The reason I ask is because I have a Western Digital external HD that I would like to connect to the AMI, and it has a mini USB port. I also have a Microsoft Zune that has its own special port, but comes with a USB adapter. My question is, instead of buying both USB and mini USB adapters from the dealerhip, could I buy just the USB cable and connect my external HD and Zune, with the USB adapters that come with it? Will it sync up so I can control everything through the AMI?

Sorry if this confuses you, but not sure how to word this since I'm not much of a techie and know the correct terminologies.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Does it matter if I connect an external HD that has a mini USB port, to an Audi AMI USB cable with the USB adapter that comes with my external?

The reason I ask is because I have a Western Digital external HD that I would like to connect to the AMI, and it has a mini USB port. I also have a Microsoft Zune that has its own special port, but comes with a USB adapter. My question is, instead of buying both USB and mini USB adapters from the dealerhip, could I buy just the USB cable and connect my external HD and Zune, with the USB adapters that come with it? Will it sync up so I can control everything through the AMI?

Sorry if this confuses you, but not sure how to word this since I'm not much of a techie and know the correct terminologies.
When the power requirements of your WD disk and your Zune is ok, both would work with the USB adapter. The control features will be the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.