Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

On the horns of a dilemma

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  SAJ_1982 
#1 ·
Today I had a test drive in a A5 3.0TDI. It was an Aruba Blue Sport with the 19inch wheels. I have to say I was very impressed. Very nice to look at and superb inside. The engine is impressive and I would be quite happy owning one.

However, I then got straight into an RS4 for a test drive.....

Ok, the A5 is better looking and the interior is a lot better, but that RS4's engine and the way it drives.....

I'm now stuck. I had hoped that I would not like one or the other but they're both excellent at what they do. My head says A5 but I enjoyed driving the RS4 so much........

#3 ·
Definitely drive an S5.

The S5 sounds better tahn the RS4, drives 95% as well, and has all the latest up to date design and gizmos - you seem like the perfect sucker for the S5 ( so am I, that's why I bought it) - same silly grin on my face everytime I start the car... what a sound...., and same tickle in the pants every time I accelerate hard.......

#4 ·
You cannot compare an A5 to an RS4. The closer match is the S5 but even that is different. Try the S5.

#5 ·
I agree with everyone else. Try the S5. You should be very happy. The RS4 is a more sporting machine but is still several years old on the chassis and interior. The S5 is a true GT machine instead of the sports sedan the RS4 is but IMO a better choice. (must be why I bought the S5 vs. the RS4)

#6 ·
Doubledoom has actually caught the problem: The A5 and the RS4 are not comparable (otherwise it would have been an easy choice). One is the motorway eating GT :cool: , the other is the Harry Hooligan funmobile :D . The S5 would look like the compromise but if I were to go for a GT then, for me, the 3.0TDI is actually the best choice.

In a Top Gear analogy, do I want to be James May or Jeremy Clarkson...???

(admittedly neither if it comes to hairstyles!!)

#7 · (Edited)
it also depends on how many miles you do, what kind or roads you expect to be driving on, whether you can really enjoy the extra power of the RS4 by taking it on trackdays, for example. Also does it matter to you that the RS4 may have a much more limited range on a tank of fuel; i find it is frustrating if i keep having to refill the tank, even if i can afford the fuel- when i looked at the BMW M5 owners pages i see that the fuel range issue is quite high on their list of issues.

#8 ·
I would agree with fraser - it depends how you're going to use the car. If it's your only means of transport and you do a lot of miles, then the RS4 is going to be in a totally different league for running costs (and not in a good sense!). Of course it's also in a totally different league when it comes to performance!

Also depends what sort of driving you do - if you're a high-mileage driver who spends most of your time on motorways with the occasional blast down some country roads, then the RS4 probably isn't the best solution, and you'd probably be better off with the A5 - it'll be 100% better on motorways, based purely on the economy, but only 20-25% behind the RS4 on those country blasts (it's still a fun car to drive.)

If the car is mostly for fun and you have something else for those long, boring motorway journeys, then RS4 all the way.

#9 ·
There is another train of thought on A5 v's RS4 v's S5, and thats the running costs on fuel and that was the deciding factor for me. Getting low to mid 20's mpg for the S variants was something I didn't want to live with and am more than happy with 40+ mpg of my A5. Ok, it's not an S model but it's still entertaining when given the chance on busy UK roads.

Simon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.