Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if most of you guys recommend getting the tech pkg. I don't particularly need all of those features but it would be nice to have. Just not sure if it's $2+ nice. Would like to hear your pro's and con's (if any) - although I've read some issues with the key.

Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
Personally I love the back-up camera and the audible tone for when I am backing up. The camera is great for when I end up parked between two large SUV's and can't see if anyone is driving down the road. I get a kind of fish eye lense view of the road that lets me see if anyone is driving down the road while I am trying to back up.

The convenience of the push to start feature is great. It's nice not having to fumble around for the key, besides, passengers get a kick out of it. The adaptive headlights are great. Two days after purchasing the car I took a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Those lights were amazing when navigating those curvy roads.

The side assist is kind of cool, but I always look over my shoulder when changing lanes anyways.

It's hard to say if it is worth the extra $2k, but when I buy a car that costs as much as this one does I usually go for all the bells and whistles but, that is just me. In the end it comes down to personal preference. I think it was worth the money and would do it again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, my thought is. and probably a lot of people would disagree because they love technology but I see the camera and the key as 2 more things that could break. As an Electrical Engineer I HATE electronics... why.? because they break. I would hate for there even to be the slightest possiblity where they key would not work. Okay. I am scared enough about all the other technology in the car but what are you going to do. I am still capable of looking over my shoulder or backing up looking at the mirrors. (Drove a truck a lot) Plus maybe I can retrofit the camera port on the nav screen to a dvd player that works!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the replies. Quick question - if you do not get the Tech pkg, do you have to insert a metal key to start or do you still have a "start" button?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks so much for the replies. Quick question - if you do not get the Tech pkg, do you have to insert a metal key to start or do you still have a "start" button?
You take the key (shaped like a standard Audi key fob) and push it into the slot on the dash to start the car / push it again and pull it out to stop the engine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well, my thought is. and probably a lot of people would disagree because they love technology but I see the camera and the key as 2 more things that could break. As an Electrical Engineer I HATE electronics... why.? because they break. I would hate for there even to be the slightest possiblity where they key would not work. Okay. I am scared enough about all the other technology in the car but what are you going to do. I am still capable of looking over my shoulder or backing up looking at the mirrors. (Drove a truck a lot) Plus maybe I can retrofit the camera port on the nav screen to a dvd player that works!
Just to play Devils Advocate here, ;)I don't purchase things with the expectation they will break, besides, that is what a warranty is for. As for the key not working, there is always the option of inserting it into the starting slot if the remote function fails.

I agree with being able to look over your shoulder for backing out. However, I have found the backup camera to be extremely beneficial when parked betweek two large SUV's when looking over your shoulder does no good because my view was blocked by the SUV's.

Also, I have never liked the look of retrofitted things on vehicles. Nothing really looks as good as what the factory does (with electronic gizmos anyways).

Again, it all comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Quick question - if you do not get the Tech pkg, do you have to insert a metal key to start or do you still have a "start" button?
You take the key (shaped like a standard Audi key fob) and push it into the slot on the dash to start the car / push it again and pull it out to stop the engine.
Just to clarify... there is no Start button on the center console if you don't have the Advanced Key feature.

As for whether the Tech package is worth getting, I would say most definitely yes. But, everyone is different and what's important to some is not always important to others. Having said that, I think the Advanced Key feature is a great convenience. I love having to never take a key out of my pocket to lock/unlock or start the car. Also, the rearview camera is a great feature that I use regularly. And the Side Assist feature gives you that extra sense of security for your blind spots when attempting to switch lanes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OT, but TX - do you have any picts of your ice silver S5? Haven't seen too many shots of silver. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have a few pics that I took after I first got it, but I wasn't happy with how they turned out color-wise due to the lighting and camera settings. (I'm still learning how to use my new dSLR camera.) Unfortunately, those pics don't really show what the true Ice Silver color looks like. I will try to get around to taking some better ones in the next week and post them up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Funny you mention it because I was somewhat disappointed by how none-photogenic the S5 ice silver was. I am sure it looks MUCH better in person.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It does... trust me! It looks particularly good when the sunlight is hitting it. With that metallic finish combined with the light color, it's difficult to capture Ice Silver accurately in a photo (well, at least in my experience).

In the meantime, you might want to check out the Used Car Locator on the Audi UK site for some "real-life" pics of the car. You might get lucky and stumble upon some decent pics of Ice Silver on there. They regularly update that section of the site.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As a former owner of a vehicle with push start and a backup camera and now an S5 without these options...the only thing I miss is the ability to open doors and start the car without ever having to take my keys out. I didn't realize I would miss that convenience so much, especially when carrying other things in your hands. The backup camera is nice, especially if you parallel park frequently. Since I don't, i really don't miss it. but I do wish I got the tech package just for the convenience key. I guess you could always have a remote starter installed if you didn't get tech.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Load it up!! Tech package (with Side Assist, lights, Nav, keyless, etc), Adaptive Cruise Control (pretty amazing how it accelerates and decelerates on its own, just steer! And it warns you if you come to close to a car in front of you in normal driving when cruise control isn't even on!), and Drive Select (comfort and sport settings are notably different drive styles).

·
Registered
384 Posts
You're buying an S5 and you question spending $2k on the best option for the car?

I don't even want to respond.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i got everything but the cruise control, and i dont think that anyone should get this car without the tech package. The Key is worth the 2 grand, leave it in your pocket, and forget it.

2 grand is nothing over the lease or finance

·
Registered
435 Posts
Definitely worth it.

Rear visibility is sub-par in the S5 with the high trunk and huge pillars. Backing up and being able to see saves your neck and frustrations, especially in tight situations. Advanced key is nothing special for exiting the car, but for walking up to the car and pulling the handle it is absolutely great. It greatly improves the experience in my eyes and is extremely practical. Not to mention never digging in your pocket either.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Actually one of the nicest things I experience with the tech package is that the camera stays on for 10 seconds or so after you go to forward, and I can see that my garage door has closed without looking back. You can also sometimes see people watching you drive away.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Actually one of the nicest things I experience with the tech package is that the camera stays on for 10 seconds or so after you go to forward, and I can see that my garage door has closed without looking back. You can also sometimes see people watching you drive away.
I just had a great idea.

Is there any way to use Vag Com to be able to turn on the back camera on demand?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Is there any way to use Vag Com to be able to turn on the back camera on demand?
I don't think it's ever been confirmed how or IF this could actually be done. There was a member who was on here for a very short period who made a post back in February claiming he did that. But, when asked for specifics, he never replied and hasn't been back on the site since. I had even sent him a PM, and did not get a response. So, I remain skeptical about it. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts