Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what oil they received as their complementary top up bottle. I used mine at the weekend and now need to order some more but can't find the empty bottle.

Before you suggest it I know the spec is in the manual but when I look at the Castrol site the names seem different to what I remember being on the top up bottle I had.:confused:

Any help apprciated.

Andy

·
Registered
292 Posts
I thought Audi used Castrol SLX Longlife III. Just looked in my pouch and surprised to see I've got Mobil 1. :confused:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Can anyone tell me what oil they received as their complementary top up bottle. I used mine at the weekend and now need to order some more but can't find the empty bottle.

Before you suggest it I know the spec is in the manual but when I look at the Castrol site the names seem different to what I remember being on the top up bottle I had.:confused:

Any help apprciated.

Andy
Just make sure you get the same spec and a good quality oil, it doesn't have to be the same make just a good quality oil with the same spec.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Andy did you buy from Edinburgh Audi if so pop down ask the saleperso you delt with & he/she will most likely give you a courtesy bottle,bit worrying you've used 1 l already what's your milage??

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I think Audi have been using Mobil 1 for some time. My old S4 used about 1 litre every 10k miles or so, and I always got extra bottles from my dealer as they were the cheapest source and they were always Mobil 1.

For the record, you need 5W30 fully synthetic oil, although Audi do list the actual VW spec in the service booklet:
Petrol: VW 503 00, VW 503 01, VW 504 00
Diesel: VW 506 00, VW 506 01, VW 507 00.
For diesels with the particualte filter it has to be the last one. These should be listed on the back of the bottle of oil you buy, although they generally state 'For modern VW/Audi engines' somewhere on the front.

If you put anything else in then the sensor for the Audi LongLife Service intervals don't work and you have to resort to a service every 9k miles/12 months to maintain your warranty.

The cost (in the UK) should be around £11 for a 1 litre bottle from an Audi dealer, although it's cheaper per litre if you buy a 5 litre bottle. For the record, the same from Halfords is around £12.50 and I once needed to buy a litre of Shell's equivalent from a petrol station and was fleeced £19 for the privilege!

Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
a bottle of mobil 1 was in my pouch.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Andy did you buy from Edinburgh Audi if so pop down ask the saleperso you delt with & he/she will most likely give you a courtesy bottle,bit worrying you've used 1 l already what's your milage??
Forgot to mention in my post above that I quite often didn't have to pay for oil from my dealer - it's always worth developing a solid relationship with your local dealer!:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the car from Stirling Audi. I must admit that I was surprised to have to put the full litre of oil in. I have only done 3000 miles so far. I'll see what it is like over the next few thousand before worrying about it.

What's everyone else's experience of oil consumption ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Got the car from Stirling Audi. I must admit that I was surprised to have to put the full litre of oil in. I have only done 3000 miles so far. I'll see what it is like over the next few thousand before worrying about it.

What's everyone else's experience of oil consumption ?
Andy audi tech told me that they can use upto 1 litre per 1k he said it was a compromise for torque I'll better have a wee look at my oil level cars sittn just under 2k.
I questioned him on this 1k 1 litre he said these engines are thirsty for oil, However my last Audi 3.0tdi A6 19 k topped up twice + service.
again speak to dealer.

ps how do you find your headlight washers ? mines are not nearly as good as my A6!! Let me know please.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine is at 2,800 miles and just topped it up with half-a-litre. My previous A6 3.0 TDI was much the same, i.e. about half-a-litre per 3,000 miles. After 20,000 miles it didn't need any top-ups between oil changes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks like some consistency here....I've had to add 1.5ltrs in 7500 miles, so I think we're all pretty much in line.
Didn't get a freebe bottle though...and I'm still wating from my DVD/Cleaning Rag that most other owners received before Christmas :-(

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Looks like some consistency here....I've had to add 1.5ltrs in 7500 miles, so I think we're all pretty much in line.
Didn't get a freebe bottle though...and I'm still wating from my DVD/Cleaning Rag that most other owners received before Christmas :-(
I didnt get the xmas freebie either. I did got the oil bottle and pouch (and my cargo net is on order as they missed that).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I checked my oil level today and ended up in the Audi garage asking them why, after 1700 miles, it was on the MIN line ! They took it into the service bay to check for leaks. There were none so they topped the oil up for me and the lady from the service desk said that Audi states it will burn up to half a litre of oil every 650 miles.

Incidentally, my spare oil is Castrol. This is confusing seeing as DoubleDoom has Mobil 1 and we have bought the same car from the same franchise 30 miles apart within a month of each other. Strange !! :confused:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have a confession to make. It it Castrol SLX. I could swear blind it was mobil one when I checked but it wasnt. That was my previous car for which i still have the bottle sitting on the shelf.

Mine is in on Monday to get its headlamp replaced (they have to remove the bumper and its not a job you can wait on). I will ask them to check my oil.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I now have 4500 miles on my S5 and checked the oil today after my recent trip and still in middle normal range--I haven't added a drop yet but not a huge amount of urban driving although I have pushed the engine at times. Probably will do my first service before heading cross country to New Mexico in 10 days. I believe Audi suggests first change at 5,000 miles and every 10,000 thereafter--is this what everyone else plans on?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have a confession to make. It it Castrol SLX. I could swear blind it was mobil one when I checked but it wasnt. That was my previous car for which i still have the bottle sitting on the shelf.

Mine is in on Monday to get its headlamp replaced (they have to remove the bumper and its not a job you can wait on). I will ask them to check my oil.
I've definitely got Mobil 1 - in fact I've now got 2 bottles from my dealer.:D The bottle in the boot (trunk) was just loose and not in a black pouch that had come with my previous Audis. My dealer told me that Audi have stopped making this, and just give you a bottle of oil. Shame as the pouch came with some tissue wipes and a cardboard pouring funnel, which were quite useful. I gave my old one away when I sold my S4 as well.:( My dealer is going to try to get me one though.

I believe Audi suggests first change at 5,000 miles and every 10,000 thereafter--is this what everyone else plans on?
Boomer,
I can't find any reference to a requirement to change the oil after 5,000 miles. The service every 10,000 miles (my service booklet actually says every 15,000 km/9,000 miles) is for oil change only, with an inspection service as detailed every 30,000 km (19,000 miles). This only applies if you're not using the Audi LongLife service schedule, although this may not be applicable in the States.

I plan to stick with the recommended oil and go with the LongLife schedule (which I'm sure is what most people will do) and therefore the first oil change will be at around 10,000 miles (my MMI says it's due in 9,600 miles or 727 days) and the first inspection will come in at around 19,000 miles (MMI says due in 18,900 miles or 1092 days).

Interestingly, my S4 didn't have the oil change service as well under the LongLife service schedule - I only changed the oil every 19-20,000 miles, when the car told me it needed a service. I just topped up the oil as needed - about 1/2 litre every 5,000 miles or so. In 55,000 miles I only had it serviced (and therefore full oil change) 3 times, the last one just 2 weeks before I sold it.:(

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The bottle in the boot (trunk) was just loose and not in a black pouch that had come with my previous Audis. My dealer told me that Audi have stopped making this, and just give you a bottle of oil.
I went out and checked mine again last night, hence my correction to Castrol. Maybe the pouch is a dealer thing and your dealer chose not to include it?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've definitely got Mobil 1 - in fact I've now got 2 bottles from my dealer.:D The bottle in the boot (trunk) was just loose and not in a black pouch that had come with my previous Audis. My dealer told me that Audi have stopped making this, and just give you a bottle of oil. Shame as the pouch came with some tissue wipes and a cardboard pouring funnel, which were quite useful. I gave my old one away when I sold my S4 as well.:( My dealer is going to try to get me one though.

Boomer,
I can't find any reference to a requirement to change the oil after 5,000 miles. The service every 10,000 miles (my service booklet actually says every 15,000 km/9,000 miles) is for oil change only, with an inspection service as detailed every 30,000 km (19,000 miles). This only applies if you're not using the Audi LongLife service schedule, although this may not be applicable in the States.

I plan to stick with the recommended oil and go with the LongLife schedule (which I'm sure is what most people will do) and therefore the first oil change will be at around 10,000 miles (my MMI says it's due in 9,600 miles or 727 days) and the first inspection will come in at around 19,000 miles (MMI says due in 18,900 miles or 1092 days).

Interestingly, my S4 didn't have the oil change service as well under the LongLife service schedule - I only changed the oil every 19-20,000 miles, when the car told me it needed a service. I just topped up the oil as needed - about 1/2 litre every 5,000 miles or so. In 55,000 miles I only had it serviced (and therefore full oil change) 3 times, the last one just 2 weeks before I sold it.:(
I remembered my dealer said 5,000 miles for first change so I went looking this evening in the warranty and maintenance book. "to assist with your vehicle maintenance, Audi provides your first scheduled maintenance service free of charge. The maintenance is performed at 1 year or 5,000 miles from your vehicle's in-service date, whichever occurs first". Further back in the book is service intervals== 5,000miles(8,000km), 15,000miles(25,000km), 25,000 etc, etc.. So I guess I will take advantage of the "free" service at 5,000 miles. I wouldn't think it would be much different over seas--but who knows.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts