Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car now has an oil leak coming from where the engine mates to the gearbox. This is following an engine and gearbox out and separation job at a main dealer 18months ago. It's now at another main dealer who want to take the engine and gearbox out to investigate the leak. I'm potentially in for £1600 to diagnose this (hooray) but have spoken to Audi UK who may make a contribution or if it's the part that was presumably replaced when the engine and gearbox where remove first it's under warranty. The garage believe it to be the seal between the engine and gearbox (whatever that is, a gasket?) but cannot say for sure until it's in bits.

Anyone had any experience of this, did it end well ?

This seams similar: Leaking gearbox and engine ratlle during and after warranty expired

Cheers,
Dan

MY14 B8.5 RS5

·
Registered
25 Posts
It sounds like the rear main seal. If the dealer had pulled the engine and gearbox they wouldn't have necessarily changed that seal, although they should have suggested it while the car was apart. It's a fairly common failure on most cars once they get to a certain mileage. There is an additive that you can add to engine oil that will recondition the gasket (basically make it swell back up to normal size) that you might try before you have the dealer pull it apart again.

Jon

2012 S5

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Mr jweid13. I've read about the additive - do you know what it is called? Fair enough regarding the seal possibly not being changed, however, I did ask at the time if there there was anything else worth doing while it's apart. The response was relatively negative I seem to remember but that is my vs their word.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Can you find out from the 1st main dealer if they did actually replace the gasket maybe under best practice or not. Then you would know for sure and if it was them at fault then Audi should cover its replacement if faulty or incorrectly fitted/sealed.

·
Registered
25 Posts

This is in the USA. I'm sure they sell it or something similar in the UK. I put this in my kids car since it had the same problem (Mustang with 100k miles) Leak was not big to begin with and was gone in a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
What a bunch of fookin criminals. Excuse my French. Like my mother went to the dentist and he managed to drop a drill bit down her throat and this caused 100 problems and his only question to her was "will you sue me madam?". Blimey. Take the car back to the bastards who caused this damage and the probklem is theirs, NOT yours. DO ME A FAVOUR and use good independents, not these stealers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is going to an independant now. It's not practical to take the car back to the dealer that carried out the work which probably (99% sure it did - I found a picture of oily water on the drive way by the car after a rain storm just after I got it back) caused the oil leak. I cannot be dealing with ifs and buts and we might help etc. I spoke to the disti yesterday after doing more research (which I should have done earlier) who just seems, well, better informed of such things shall we say.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Dan mate we all learn our lessons, in my case slowly. When I had a lovely 530d I used to get ripped off by the official stealer and I was sure it was "normal" to pay thro the nose for scarse work. When I discovered a good independent guy I realised how much time and cash I had thrown out of the window. Hey hey!!

Reactions: dans160

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup. They may well end up not being much cheaper but cheaper they will be and I'm happier sending it there as I feel it will get fixed. That and I won't have to have multiple conversations with different departments and spend days/weeks worrying about it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My car now has an oil leak coming from where the engine mates to the gearbox. This is following an engine and gearbox out and separation job at a main dealer 18months ago. It's now at another main dealer who want to take the engine and gearbox out to investigate the leak. I'm potentially in for £1600 to diagnose this (hooray) but have spoken to Audi UK who may make a contribution or if it's the part that was presumably replaced when the engine and gearbox where remove first it's under warranty. The garage believe it to be the seal between the engine and gearbox (whatever that is, a gasket?) but cannot say for sure until it's in bits.

Anyone had any experience of this, did it end well ?

This seams similar: Leaking gearbox and engine ratlle during and after warranty expired

Cheers,
Dan

MY14 B8.5 RS5
Hi Fans, do you by any chance have a photo of where the leak is coming from? I have an Audi S5 and notice oil on the under tray which looks to be where the gearbox meets the engine as well but not 100% sure. Cover has been off but my local mechanic could not see anything. Pic of where I see oil attached. Took it to an independent mechanic who said it was the Brake Vacuum Pump and replaced it but it's still leaking from somewhere. Hoping its not the gasket. Audi were the last ones to touch the gearbox when they replaced the Mechatronics unit under warranty but that was awhile ago so not sure if they'll help.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you guys checked to see if there is oil on top of the engine under the under the oil filter. These engines apparently start leaking from the oil filter housing is a fairly common problem. Oil from that location may leak down the back of the engine and end up on the floor. Oil would travel right past the rear main seal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts