Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an update on my old thread of my 3.2 using 1qt oil every 600 miles. Sorry don't know how to link thread and wanted more traffic to get feedback on what to do next.

Dealer claims my car is within spec. During the 600 mile test the min oil light came on at 610 miles on my way to the dealer so they could weigh the remaining oil in the car. Service guy seemed un-helpful and claimed "it passed with flying colors". I asked the ratio and he did not have any answer for me. I called advocate rep and he contacted dealer and the ratio according to what was told to the dealer was .42qt per 1000 miles. I am not sure if he said 1200 miles but I know the .42 is correct.

I asked service person HOW could the car pass when the low oil light came on at 610 miles after the oil consumption test was started. The general foreman told me that the Max and Min line on dipstick is 1qt during the first visit when we started the test. I repeated the car was brought back to you with the low oil light on and you have the in/out millage when I started the test and you have the milage I brought the car back to finish the test. Audi claims .5qt per 600 miles is within spec. I am a Qt low verified with dipstick,MMI, and low oil/add oil message at 610 miles. How can the car be within spec I replied. He had no answer other then "the car passed the test and we see 100's of car that need oil between oil changes and it's normal". If 1qt of oil every 610 miles is the norm then I must not be able to read because in the manual it says .5qt per 600 miles is within spec. Any thing over .5qt per 600 miles seems to not be within spec according to my brain am I missing something here?

I don't know how to proceed other than going there every time it needs oil and having them document the usage. The car needs 1qt oil every 610-620 miles religiously. I have to put oil in every 2 weeks. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
sounds like you completely caught the dealer out.

They are so used to fobbing owners off with "its within spec" that they simply couldnt cope with somebody putting a reasoned case to them.

(I have a not dissimilar story coming soon)

Try another dealer, failing that ask AoA how to proceed.

...unless you bought a 2-stroke

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil consumption test

Thanks for some feedback. Can't wait to hear your story. I called AOA and they assigned me a rep yet they have to go by what the dealer tell's them. I will try another dealer and will not stop till the matter get's handled. This is simply not acceptable to me.

The manual states figures so the consumer can use them as reference when trying to figure out if their car is operating within a normal range. What use are these figures if an Audi dealer won't act when the numbers don't match up?

Bottom line is the the car uses 1qt of oil every 610-620 miles for the past 3k miles and it insanely hard for me to enjoy the car. I have been a die hard fan of Audi's and would be lying to you if I said I would not buy another one cause I know I would but I just want my car fixed so it operates within spec according the manual and guidelines provided by AUDI nothing more nothing less.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any update on your problem? I feel like I am starting to run into a similar problem here in the states and the dealer says there are no problems with the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Raskel,

Well the dealer did another oil consumption test and it came out at a qt every 1100 miles so basically they said unless the car sucks more than a qt per 1000 miles they couldn't help me. I think the reason why the test came up at 1100 and not the normal 6-700 miles was because it was not summer any more when the that test was performed. During the summer i burned more. So we will have to see this summer if it burns that much. Either way 1qt per 1100 miles is beyond ridiculous and one of my plugs was covered in white ash and they still did not do anything. I have lost all confidence in every Audi dealer in CT they have done nothing to address this problem but turn a blind eye. Run far away from Hoffman Audi and Valenti if you can in this area. I have been through customer reps and a lawyer but they say since its technically within the spec of 1qt/1000 miles there will be no action on the dealer's part to address the problem.

its really disappointing on such an expensive new car that a customer can be treated this way. the car only had 19k miles when the problem developed. Clearly its obvious that something is wrong but audi won't approve anything with me being at a qt per 1100 miles. Basically i accepted that the car is flawed and am just living with it. I got tired of the fight.

Unless you have a really nice dealer or you car goes through a qt at about 500 miles then i would say your SOL. let me know how it turns out. How much is the car using.?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Now I am getting a bit worried as the problem started around the ~16k mile mark which is pretty close to when your problem developed. I didn't note the first time the oil light came up in the instrument cluster, but then it happened maybe 2-3 months later and then almost 3 weeks after that. After that last warning, I took it straight to the dealer to get checked out and it came back with no leaks and they said it is normal depending on the type of driving (highway/city) and driving style. I took note of the mileage when the car left the dealership as everything was checked and topped off. I have no complaints about my dealership, but they said if this happens anytime soon to bring it in and they will look deeper into the problem. Fingers crossed that it does not happen so, but definitely will post a follow-up to what happens down the road with this issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rascal

Take pictures of when the low oil light come on. I set my odo to 0 when it's topped off so i know exactly when its a qt low cause that's when the light will come on according to Audi. Bring it to the dealer if you can for them to top it off so you have an invoice each and every time. If you can't make it to the dealer keep the receipt from when you bought the oil. Make sure it audi approved oil. I use Castrol Syntec 5w/40 since the dealer uses that oil

I also bought a dip stick to verify the MMI was not wrong and the MMI ended up being pretty accurate. It is very important that you keep meticulous records of the usage don't trust the dealer to do that for you and make sure you get an invoices. i did not a few times when they topped me off and that worked against my case.

More then likely they will have you do a consumption test which basically measures the usage within 600 miles. The first test is usually on audi but any additional will cost you about 250$

The service guy told me that one guy had to go through 11 tests before audi did anything. They ended up replacing the rings and the usage ended up being the same. Poor guy.

Look for any smoke at cold startup out the exhaust, I have some blue smoke sometimes indicating possible ring problem.

I read that 2.0t's seam to use some oil and it's a pretty common thing around 3k-5k to need a qt. In my mind any car should not need any before 3k and if it does something does not seam right. Keep in mind some people use no oil between the 15k recommended oil changes. I have the 3.2 and it's pretty much unheard of to use any oil in that motor but the 2.0t's from my research do use some oil. I read about bad pcv valves causing some oil usage as well so might want to look into that.

Lastly and most importantly my oil use really ruined my past summer and I was not able to enjoy the car or my summer pretty much because of the constant struggle with audi for a fix.lol Looking back i wish i did not let it bother me so much so try to stay positive and keep me posted. I wish you lot's of luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had a similar problem with an S3 I owned a few years back... After trying a number of dealers, all who gave the same response as yours; I got my now local dealer to investigate more throughly. They found it had thrown a ring in one cylinder and this was the cause. Claimed they had never seen this problem before.. The engine was replaced under warranty.

It's strikes me, what with the ash on the plug.. That's the place to investigate further.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just to update you all Audi is putting in a new engine. There was wear on the cylinder wall i guess like i have been saying for the whole time 8 ago. I was always nice but persistant and eventually with lot's of luck from a very special person over at Audi Germany things got handled. Once the problem got farther then my local dealer's things changed real quick.

I beleive the process is really what is at fault with problems like this. My car was on record burning .83qt per 1000-1200 miles in the winter and during the summer it was way more. Unless you really go through qt in 700 miles or so then they will tell you its in spec when technically it is but common sence should tell you it's not.

In the end Audi U.S and Audi Germany took good care of me and I will for sure be buying another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts